Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did this a could days ago and my delivery date changed from June 22-30 to blank. But in light of current activities (the monkey) these are probably not related.
sirjaph said:
I risked compromising my delivery date just to modify my order and remove the Arachnids—just like you, I’m not loving the new versions at all. Figured I can get really nice after market wheels for less than $4.5k
I considered doing the same, but at this point it just isn’t worth it. Who knows what it would do to the price of a Plaid. I’m not going to remove a $4,500 option to be charged an additional $10,000 on the car.

The Michelin tires on the 21” wheels are over $400 each, so if I was going to add aftermarket 21” wheels I would still need to buy these tires. Subtract the tire price and we are probably paying about $2,900 for the wheels. If I end up hating the arachnids, I can probably sell them on eBay or list them on the forum for about $2,000 - $2,500. So, I don’t think I’m going to lose more than $400 - $900. I can live with that!

Last edited:
Reactions: HumanInput
All test mules prior building the Plaid had a wider track check it out the fender were manually flared. Check the recent videos and pictures the side repeater camera sticks way more out in order to see over the wider rear fender. Front fender also looks much wider just check it out online you can see the difference.
Which means the fenders would need to be a new sheet metal stamping along with the rear quarters. However when comparing side by side from any angle, no change is visually perceptible.

Reactions: boonedocks
At this point Tesla should run the current MS with the 18650 cells for 36-48 months then look to a complete redesign of the car with the 4680 cells after CT and roadster are in production. Tesla has pushed the boundaries with the current body.

I'm under the impression that the new S and X are using megacasted parts from the gigapress .. at least the front and rear .. and the battery pack is all new .. the interior is new .. I'm having a hard time seeing how this is the same old Model S that's in need of a "complete redesign", what am I missing?

I'm under the impression that the new S and X are using megacasted parts from the gigapress .. at least the front and rear .. and the battery pack is all new .. the interior is new .. I'm having a hard time seeing how this is the same old Model S that's in need of a "complete redesign", what am I missing?
I don't recall us having had an official confirmation of megacasted parts being used in the new Model S

So the vast majority of pre orders are just content to sit quietly and not commiserate? That's insane, or perhaps we are...

In case the waiting has made some of us insane, here is a suggestion for post delivery therapy:

Reactions: lurker131
Similar. Installed in January for a Feb 16 delivery. My install was $950 including the Tesla Charger.

Mine was $1500 including the charger. The issue was that we have two 200A panels in our house and they had to tie into the furthest one from the location. If they did not need to run that much wire through the walls, it would have cut it to less than $1000 including the charger.

Reactions: HumanInput
I considered doing the same, but at this point it just isn’t worth it. Who knows what it would do to the price of a Plaid. I’m not going to remove a $4,500 option to be charged an additional $10,000 on the car.

The Michelin tires on the 21” wheels are over $400 each, so if I was going to add aftermarket 21” wheels I would still need to buy these tires. Subtract the tire price and we are probably paying about $2,900 for the wheels. If I end up hating the arachnids, I can probably sell them on eBay or list them on the forum for about $2,000. So, I don’t think I’m going to lose more than $900. I can live with that!

2000 does not sound like a bad price. But would it make my nose cone car look fat? Would they even fit?