Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just uploaded a video to SmugMug of me driving around the neighborhood, traffic circles and parking lots--you can see I spend a fair amount of time trying to figure out where to put my hands, but I have to admit, it feels more comfortable already.

SmugMug is processing, so it might take some time to show up.

Is the video accessible through the link above, or is there a separate link? Thanks for posting this!

For anyone who is currently a Tesla owner, assuming you bought it new from Tesla, did you have the same debacle experience last time with the delays, uncertainty, no delivery dates, SA issues, etc? Or is this an isolated incident due to maybe rona? Chip shortage? *insert another reason here*

Reactions: HumanInput
Is the video accessible through the link above, or is there a separate link? Thanks for posting this!
It is accessible through that link, though not easily recognizable as a video.

Here is the direct link ( thanks and credits to @omarsultan ).

I do worry about holding negative feelings toward this mess.
2015 Model S - Treated me like a king. Absolute red carpet treatment.
2017 S - Still pretty good but the focus wasn't there, longer waits to get response from SA. Service started to push back.
2020 Y - They didn't give a F***. When I could talk to someone they were ambivalent and almost rude.
2021 S - Crickets... blank date since January other than a brief week or so in the middle. Little to no SA responses (with month+ wait between)
Same experience. Had my first MS delivered to my house circa 2012. Now, I’m nothing.

Some changes to my orders today.

LR - RN1145 - March 1 - Dallas - Red/Cream/Spiders/XFSD - Was June, now August
Plaid - RN1150 - May 25 - Dallas - Red/Cream/Spiders/XFSD - Was June, now back to July 02-22

My Plaid order has bounced a little between June and July 02-22 for the last week. It was at June for the last few days, which felt unrealistic. Having a date range in July actually gives me more confidence.

The LR order had gone from August to June a week ago. Seemed very unrealistic. Back to August. (Far more realistic IMO)

Reactions: Spano1
It is accessible through that link, though not easily recognizable as a video.

Here is the direct link ( thanks and credits to @omarsultan ).

Thanks for posting and for dumbing down the link.

I wonder if I would find myself one hand steering. May be easier than hand over hand? That said, I agree with someone’s sentiment that not having stalks may be more of an issue than the yoke itself. Hate the idea of a full shoulder reach during a three point turn, or, any basic driving for that matter.

Reactions: croman
And here's some people's reactions after driving PLAID and comparing it to their Ludicrous S. Essentially biggest noticable difference is that it just keeps pulling harder on the top end. And that's compared to a Performance S, which is still a step above the new LR S. The test pilot driver stated in the video that it's pulling around 1.3 to 1.4 G's, effectively being pushed back harder than you are sitting down.

1 G is what someone experiences at the beginning of free fall. Air resistance eats away at the initial acceleration unless in a vacuum like space. So 1.3 G’s feels like you just started falling with 30 percent more acceleration. It must be something to experience! 😲

For anyone who is currently a Tesla owner, assuming you bought it new from Tesla, did you have the same debacle experience last time with the delays, uncertainty, no delivery dates, SA issues, etc? Or is this an isolated incident due to maybe rona? Chip shortage? *insert another reason here*
I had similar "it'll get here when it gets here whenever the heck that is" with my Performance Model 3. Ultimately, was happy that I waited for it cause i love it.

Not going to believe this…..still…..blank!! Yay!

wonder if we will see another flyover soon and if they are really cranking out MS’s at the factory since we are through the delivery event.
Im still wondering what what that lot of MSs were that we saw in flyover prior to event

Thanks for posting and for dumbing down the link.

I wonder if I would find myself one hand steering. May be easier than hand over hand? That said, I agree with someone’s sentiment that not having stalks may be more of an issue than the yoke itself. Hate the idea of a full shoulder reach during a three point turn, or, any basic driving for that matter.

The easiest thing to imagine is that Elon is aware of the yoke issue, but actually thinks FSD will solve the problem since the only time you will have your hands on is at the track.

It is also scary that he thinks that.

Could be his minions have programmed his commute so that it is perfect.

My opinion, the yoke poses a huge liability issue. I’m not complaining and am totally open to the yoke, definitely not backing out of my order because of it either. But, Omar hit the horn by accident when turning, sure that will happen often and could scare surrounding drivers. Having the horn as a button versus in the center of the steering wheel is a little odd given when you are turning the wheel and in an emergency need to honk the horn, you need to find it…lol. If you have ever driven an ICE with paddle shifters that are mounted to the steering wheel versus mounted/fixed to the steering column you would know what I mean. The turn signals is the same thing.

With the airbag, the round steering wheel acts as a support for when the airbag is deployed. Now that the wheel is a yoke (no top and flat bottom), it lacks the proper support for the airbag…

for the yoke itself, it looked quite awkward in Omar’s video as he was making numerous turns. Might be okay for slow around town driving and highway, but in emergency situations this could pose issues as you try to turn suddenly or react and don’t have a full round steering wheel to grab. But rather you only have 1/2 or less that your brain will need to program to know where to grab.

Lastly, the regulators will not comment on the yoke. Many journalists have reached out apparently and they will not give a comment on it - makes me feel like they are staying far away from this. I know they don’t approve/disapprove or whatever, but the fact they won’t touch it with a 10’ pole makes me wonder…

1 G is what someone experiences at the beginning of free fall. Air resistance eats away at the initial acceleration unless in a vacuum like space. So 1.3 G’s feels like you just started falling with 30 percent more acceleration. It must be something to experience! 😲

Gravity is not a force, it is the curvature of space time. You don't feel any force on your body in a vacuum regardless if you are in orbit or free falling.

It must be something to experience. Hoping a future Plaid owner near me in SoCal will give me the chance?

My opinion, the yoke poses a huge liability issue. I’m not complaining and am totally open to the yoke, definitely not backing out of my order because of it either. But, Omar hit the horn by accident when turning, sure that will happen often and could scare surrounding drivers. Having the horn as a button versus in the center of the steering wheel is a little odd given when you are turning the wheel and in an emergency need to honk the horn, you need to find it…lol. If you have ever driven an ICE with paddle shifters that are mounted to the steering wheel versus mounted/fixed to the steering column you would know what I mean. The turn signals is the same thing.

With the airbag, the round steering wheel acts as a support for when the airbag is deployed. Now that the wheel is a yoke (no top and flat bottom), it lacks the proper support for the airbag…

for the yoke itself, it looked quite awkward in Omar’s video as he was making numerous turns. Might be okay for slow around town driving and highway, but in emergency situations this could pose issues as you try to turn suddenly or react and don’t have a full round steering wheel to grab. But rather you only have 1/2 or less that your brain will need to program to know where to grab.

Lastly, the regulators will not comment on the yoke. Many journalists have reached out apparently and they will not give a comment on it - makes me feel like they are staying far away from this. I know they don’t approve/disapprove or whatever, but the fact they won’t touch it with a 10’ pole makes me wonder…

It might be up to the early adopters to solve these issues.

Similar experience for me. I got sucked in with the exemplary delivery and service back in 2015 with my MS and now I am expecting them to nickel and dime on issues with my 3. My wife has an X ordered but we may look at other cars for her. Taycan?

Taicant believe you would consider that! Watch this first, note the comparison is to a '15 MS.

Then there is the EQS. Wifey hates my Tesla. I don't like her MB 560. Both don't like sharing the garage.

Could we be happy with one car?

Back on topic, my next Tesla is all configured in mind, but has to be a '22 model ..