Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, so I copied @lolachampcar #43547 post. I will eat any *sugar* I need, if I get date....
Update: a minute has passed and still nothing.

"The simple fact is that Tesla is comprised of engineers playing at business. Customers are a dime a dozen as long as you innovate fast enough (harsh but likely accurate). It's a true Valley software mindset. I used to attribute the over optimistic dates to engineering eagerness under the guidance that you never attribute to malice that which can be accounted for by incompetence. Now that there is a structural Sales elmenent organized within the company to push EOQ sales by doing things like actively soliciting an order change, I can no longer use that excuse. They know what they are doing and are doing it anyway.

I'm just going to stay engaged with the technology/engineering side of the company and interface with the service side (people in the shop are good eggs and care) and simply avoid the business side of the company. When I do have to interact with the business side, I'll make sure to pay attention to which end of the snake I'm picking up :)"

Ok so after having the Plaid for a few days here is my review pros and cons, when compared to my model 3 performance that I traded in:

Plaid.
Performance…the acceleration is ungodly! I find myself doing 80 in the blink of an eye where in my 3 it would have been 50 and I really need to be careful. I will be getting a radar detector pro install ASAP. The thing pulls from 60 the way my 3 did from a dig. Drag strip mode is my friend lol and I have actually scared several people along with hurting their backs. A buddy I gave a ride in started saying “please stop please stop.” Lol Handling is great though not quite as “darty” as my 3 was( which was to be expected.) But then again, it is so much more stable and does not have the body roll my 3 did, and while it is heavier and feels much bigger, I don’t feel the same bottom feels heavy feeling, if that makes sense. I love the suspension adjustments, and the ride is way more compliant.

Ride… so much better, even on these horrible Cali roads where they haven’t fixed them in over a year and a half. I don’t feel the banging of the bumps like I did in the 3, even in sport.

Fit and finish…awesome! The carpet and alcantara in areas that used to be cheap hard plastic is very nice and rich. I actually like the dark wood with the black a lot. I was genuinely concerned about this going in to the purchase, as I originally wanted the white with cf and that was what I originally ordered, although I felt like there was too much white, unlike my 3.

Comfort…the white seats I had on my 3 were actually softer and cushier but these are so comfortable and much more supportive in hard turning. I used to slide all over in those. I like having the breeze on my back as well. The rear seat room is awesome compared to my 3 and space overall is much better. Trips will be even better for passengers. Again ride and stability is top notch.

Stereo…actually for some reason even though it is more powerful than the one in my 3, it does not sound quite as good. Not quite enough bass for me so I will be getting a sub with a separate amp. I am pretty sure this is all it is as the system sounds pretty clean. Sound is very important to me so if I really want to get crazy I guess I could get a separate amp, for all the speakers but then again that could take me into warranty issues…so not sure. I like clean mids and highs with good hits out of the regular speakers and some boom and throw from the sub, which the 3 had more of.

tech…so much better in the S. 4 phone chargers are awesome. 3 screens rock and I like having the info right in front of me. So customizable. Suspension, steering modes, etc. mirrors fold when I come into my driveway, home link is great, visibility with the yoke is incredible although the 3 was more like driving in a bubble when it came to looking behind. Display is so much nicer. Have not even used auto pilot yet since it is STILL at 99%! Got used to the shifter on the screen right away.

Yoke…I love it! I thought it would be a total pain and I got acclimated on like 5 minutes. (Maybe I play too many video games?) of course I did reach to shift when I first drove it. Got used to the signals because I used to ride GSXR 1000s. Still have a few issues with accidentally hitting the signal when I am trying to fast forward the song.

Utility… We will find out when I actually go on a trip this weekend but yeah, more room.

So is there anything I would change about this car? I would improve the stereo. That’s it. I have an appointment for ppf and tint Wednesday. I already took off the front plate and I think I can go with Cali legal tint because the inside already seems darker cause of the dark seats and the ceiling glass is much darker than in my 3. Overall love the car so much. Was it worth it? **** yeah! I’m 52 years old and miss my stupid fast motorcycles and this will smoke even them. I would possibly kill myself on them and probably hurt myself. Did it make financial sense? Of course not. I’m not rich but my wife and I own our house and I have solar, and really no big bills. ( until my $800 payment on this lol-put 40 down plus 50 for the trade) The wife was a little mad at me for getting it but she is coming around. Before you know it she will be wanting to drive this one like she did the last, and playing that stupid Karaoke. :)

Anyway there is my write up. Cheers.
Thank you SO much for the info. I'll just wait until next year when they hopefully will introduce it with the 4680 batteries.

Added a "Build Date" column to the tracking spreadsheet...

Also it would be nice if people would add their material choice along with the color for the interior. Or am I missing something?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Hi everyone. Been following for a few months, first time poster. 1st time Tesla buyer, excited to say the least.

I ordered the 19" Tempest wheels because Chicago winters are brutal with potholes. Since my initial delivery estimate was March I worked with a local Tesla certified bodyshop to order aftermarket wheels from Vossen. The wheels were ordered through the body shop which I have paid for. Wheels are at the body shop, while I have no VIN and no car. From what I've seen so far on the forums, aftermarket wheels for the pre-refresh Model S will not fit the refresh LR, correct? I have reached out to the bodyshop and gave them the manual. They think the wheels may fit as long as the bolt configuration has not changed, but they aren't 100% sure either.

If not, hoping the vendor will accept an exchange and not leave me with wheels I can't use.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

MS LR Order 2/10/21. Black/Black | 19" wheels | FSD Yes | EDD Blank for weeks

Ok so after having the Plaid for a few days here is my review pros and cons, when compared to my model 3 performance that I traded in:

Plaid.
Performance…the acceleration is ungodly! I find myself doing 80 in the blink of an eye where in my 3 it would have been 50 and I really need to be careful. I will be getting a radar detector pro install ASAP. The thing pulls from 60 the way my 3 did from a dig. Drag strip mode is my friend lol and I have actually scared several people along with hurting their backs. A buddy I gave a ride in started saying “please stop please stop.” Lol Handling is great though not quite as “darty” as my 3 was( which was to be expected.) But then again, it is so much more stable and does not have the body roll my 3 did, and while it is heavier and feels much bigger, I don’t feel the same bottom feels heavy feeling, if that makes sense. I love the suspension adjustments, and the ride is way more compliant.

Ride… so much better, even on these horrible Cali roads where they haven’t fixed them in over a year and a half. I don’t feel the banging of the bumps like I did in the 3, even in sport.

Fit and finish…awesome! The carpet and alcantara in areas that used to be cheap hard plastic is very nice and rich. I actually like the dark wood with the black a lot. I was genuinely concerned about this going in to the purchase, as I originally wanted the white with cf and that was what I originally ordered, although I felt like there was too much white, unlike my 3.

Comfort…the white seats I had on my 3 were actually softer and cushier but these are so comfortable and much more supportive in hard turning. I used to slide all over in those. I like having the breeze on my back as well. The rear seat room is awesome compared to my 3 and space overall is much better. Trips will be even better for passengers. Again ride and stability is top notch.

Stereo…actually for some reason even though it is more powerful than the one in my 3, it does not sound quite as good. Not quite enough bass for me so I will be getting a sub with a separate amp. I am pretty sure this is all it is as the system sounds pretty clean. Sound is very important to me so if I really want to get crazy I guess I could get a separate amp, for all the speakers but then again that could take me into warranty issues…so not sure. I like clean mids and highs with good hits out of the regular speakers and some boom and throw from the sub, which the 3 had more of.

tech…so much better in the S. 4 phone chargers are awesome. 3 screens rock and I like having the info right in front of me. So customizable. Suspension, steering modes, etc. mirrors fold when I come into my driveway, home link is great, visibility with the yoke is incredible although the 3 was more like driving in a bubble when it came to looking behind. Display is so much nicer. Have not even used auto pilot yet since it is STILL at 99%! Got used to the shifter on the screen right away.

Yoke…I love it! I thought it would be a total pain and I got acclimated on like 5 minutes. (Maybe I play too many video games?) of course I did reach to shift when I first drove it. Got used to the signals because I used to ride GSXR 1000s. Still have a few issues with accidentally hitting the signal when I am trying to fast forward the song.

Utility… We will find out when I actually go on a trip this weekend but yeah, more room.

So is there anything I would change about this car? I would improve the stereo. That’s it. I have an appointment for ppf and tint Wednesday. I already took off the front plate and I think I can go with Cali legal tint because the inside already seems darker cause of the dark seats and the ceiling glass is much darker than in my 3. Overall love the car so much. Was it worth it? **** yeah! I’m 52 years old and miss my stupid fast motorcycles and this will smoke even them. I would possibly kill myself on them and probably hurt myself. Did it make financial sense? Of course not. I’m not rich but my wife and I own our house and I have solar, and really no big bills. ( until my $800 payment on this lol-put 40 down plus 50 for the trade) The wife was a little mad at me for getting it but she is coming around. Before you know it she will be wanting to drive this one like she did the last, and playing that stupid Karaoke. :)

Anyway there is my write up. Cheers.
Would love to hear more about the back seat comfort compared to the 3. How tall are the people who have tried your back seat and how does the real-world legroom and headroom compare?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Hi everyone. Been following for a few months, first time poster. 1st time Tesla buyer, excited to say the least.

I ordered the 19" Tempest wheels because Chicago winters are brutal with potholes. Since my initial delivery estimate was March I worked with a local Tesla certified bodyshop to order aftermarket wheels from Vossen. The wheels were ordered through the body shop which I have paid for. Wheels are at the body shop, while I have no VIN and no car. From what I've seen so far on the forums, aftermarket wheels for the pre-refresh Model S will not fit the refresh LR, correct? I have reached out to the bodyshop and gave them the manual. They think the wheels may fit as long as the bolt configuration has not changed, but they aren't 100% sure either.

If not, hoping the vendor will accept an exchange and not leave me with wheels I can't use.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

MS LR Order 2/10/21. Black/Black | 19" wheels | FSD Yes | EDD Blank for weeks
Welcome to the thread! Always great to see new members! :)

Reactions: cwanja and Ormond
Would love to hear more about the back seat comfort compared to the 3. How tall are the people who have tried your back seat and how does the real-world legroom and headroom compare?
My sons are small 5 9 and 5 7 and it was kind of snug in the 3. The S is like a Bentley to them. I am 6 ft 200 lbs and have a few inches before my knees touch the back of the seats when they are all the way back. Also have a few inches of headroom so I imagine someone who is 6 ft 7 or 6 8 might touch, but what are they doing in the back? :) The seats are not quite as spongy but they are much more supportive. So it’s not really like you are sitting on a bean bag any more, but then again you won’t go sliding around corners. And your feet rest in a more normal position down lower than my 3.

Tesla texted me with good news and stated car is scheduled to be early and asked if I could pick it up on the 30th? I had plans but said sure. She said that it would be ready as early as the 29th and I said that works better. So now delivery is Tuesday. She stated the car's birthdate was June 8th which I am ok.
So happy to see you finally getting close to delivery! 🥳

My sons are small 5 9 and 5 7 and it was kind of snug in the 3. The S is like a Bentley to them. I am 6 ft 200 lbs and have a few inches before my knees touch the back of the seats when they are all the way back. Also have a few inches of headroom so I imagine someone who is 6 ft 7 or 6 8 might touch, but what are they doing in the back? :) The seats are not quite as spongy but they are much more supportive. So it’s not really like you are sitting on a bean bag any more, but then again you won’t go sliding around corners. And your feet rest in a more normal position down lower than my 3.
Is the screen in the back seat at a height/angle to be comfortably usable? It seems a bit gimmicky since I can't imagine staring down at it for long periods of time.