Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called Tesla and asked to upgrade to 21".
I spoke with 3 people and got 3 different answers: 1. Upgrading would change my place in line 2. Upgrading would make me have to pay the extra 10,000$ in addition to 4500 upgrade 3. Upgrade would not affect anything if SA did it !!?!
I'll call again tomorrow and maybe get a fourth answer
Also none of the staff seemed to think that there was a delay for the 19"...
I’ve tried 6 times so far same answer everytime if I upgrade the wheels they will have to update me to the new order book so updated pricing … let me know if they tell you different

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I was driving back from LA to the SF Bay Area today along I-5. I saw at least 12 Tesla Car Carriers heading towards LA and half of them had the new Tesla Model S on them! I saw both LR and Plaid. A lot of black and Midnight Silver. They were usually in the middle of the car carrier or the very last car on the bottom row (never a full load of Model S as there were 3 and Y's too). Hope these are customer cars and not demos. I ordered a LR late May so I probably won't get mine until Oct.
I hope so, waiting for my black LR in socal. No Vin yet, but June delivery. We shall see... Ordered in January.

19” cars exist and have been produced. Rush is to get out higher margin cars (Plaid with Arachnids) + get delivery numbers up. The latter being more important, some customers have been offered to upgrade their wheels to take delivery at no extra cost… Strange being the demand is so high, just call the next customer in line..

Deliveries and VIN assignments are going to slow down post EoQ. We may see more VIN assignments than deliveries in the first few weeks. Logistics has been strange. They are shipping cars sporadically. Usually its East Coast first, West Coast and finally rest of US. We may see that pattern come back starting the second week of July. 10 days to get cars to East Coast.. Which means VIN assignments second week of July, with deliveries end of July. In line with timelines so far.

People are loving the cars, only heard of a handful of people calling about the Yoke but wasn’t disclosed if any returns happened (if thats even allowed). MCU is fast, intuitive and screen is bigger than what people imagined. Employees are seeing the cars for the first time and wanting to drive them. Some of them are allowed to, in order to explain to customers what the hell happened to all those years of driving with stalks and a full wheel.

Starting to get more inside information due to a change in my sources position. This abundance of info will not last long. Cannot disclose why.

Gotta go with the red calipers. 👎on the blue
I like dull gold calipers with dark rims. One of my more recent cars had them and I was shocked at how nice they were and set off that black car. Of
Course blue might be great. Just can’t picture which shade of blue would work. You can always change if you don’t like em.
I was going to paint mine but I think I am going to keep it stock.

19” cars exist and have been produced. Rush is to get out higher margin cars (Plaid with Arachnids) + get delivery numbers up. The latter being more important, some customers have been offered to upgrade their wheels to take delivery at no extra cost… Strange being the demand is so high, just call the next customer in line..

Deliveries and VIN assignments are going to slow down post EoQ. We may see more VIN assignments than deliveries in the first few weeks. Logistics has been strange. They are shipping cars sporadically. Usually its East Coast first, West Coast and finally rest of US. We may see that pattern come back starting the second week of July. 10 days to get cars to East Coast.. Which means VIN assignments second week of July, with deliveries end of July. In line with timelines so far.

People are loving the cars, only heard of a handful of people calling about the Yoke but wasn’t disclosed if any returns happened (if thats even allowed). MCU is fast, intuitive and screen is bigger than what people imagined. Employees are seeing the cars for the first time and wanting to drive them. Some of them are allowed to, in order to explain to customers what the hell happened to all those years of driving with stalks and a full wheel.

Starting to get more inside information due to a change in my sources position. This abundance of info will not last long. Cannot disclose why.
Love seeing your posts as always, @sam3194 🙂😀

Another day went by and it’s the time. It’s the time to relax after dinner. Take the dogs around the block to wear them out before it’s their bed time. Then wind down and take a nice hot shower prior to getting into bed. Finally lie down in bed, pull out the phone, and check this thread. Catch up to the last post of the last page and only then, knowingly that the account will still display blank, switch Safari tabs to the Tesla’s site, to once again, for the 10th time today, login to the site, click onto the Manage link, to then peacefully go to bed knowing nothing has changed and the blank is still just as blank as it has been any other day.

Thanks Tesla.

The S LR is a higher margin car than the 3 or Y. If they were simply prioritizing higher margin vehicles for EOQ, they would be shipping the already built “rat king dirt lot” Model S that have been sitting in Fremont. They aren’t shipping 19” wheels and certain trims in any volume due to supply and production issues.

Another day went by and it’s the time. It’s the time to relax after dinner. Take the dogs around the block to wear them out before it’s their bed time. Then wind down and take a nice hot shower prior to getting into bed. Finally lie down in bed, pull out the phone, and check this thread. Catch up to the last post of the last page and only then, knowingly that the account will still display blank, switch Safari tabs to the Tesla’s site, to once again, for the 10th time today, login to the site, click onto the Manage link, to then peacefully go to bed knowing nothing has changed and the blank is still just as blank as it has been any other day.

Thanks Tesla.
This had me rolling!🤣🤣🤣🤣

The S LR is a higher margin car than the 3 or Y. If they were simply prioritizing higher margin vehicles for EOQ, they would be shipping the already built “rat king dirt lot” Model S that have been sitting in Fremont. They aren’t shipping 19” wheels and certain trims in any volume due to supply and production issues.

3’s & Y’s are sold out. Ordering one now results in delivery in September.

• Informative

Thanks Tesla.
You had my routine described perfectly except I don’t have 2 dogs.

3’s & Y’s are sold out. Ordering one now results in delivery in September.
I was referring to your statement about them sitting on 19” wheel and CF/etc trim vehicles.

Why would they not have already put those built vehicles on trucks if there weren’t issues with missing parts or production in general? Inventory that sits around hurts financial results for a given quarter. That’s why Tesla doesn’t put inventory on ships near the end of a quarter. In transit vehicles (and being in a Fremont lot is technically “in transit” even if it hasn’t moved very far) make the numbers look less good.

Three micro updates…

1. I had to run an errand for the wife at the mall so I stopped by to see my SA. No Plaid deliveries to Tampa yet. In fact he didn’t even have the standard two cars in the showroom! I know we mention how much things at Tesla HQ could be better but they have a product that many people want, a loyal customer base that speaks up for them whenever there is any anti-Tesla rhetoric, and for the time being a jump on competitors. (To be so lucky)

2. An impaired driver hit my family suv (no one was in the car) and totaled it. So I am now in the market for a second car! 🤷🏾

3. I almost put in a Plaid order three times but I really do want the LR. Extra range and seems plenty fast enough for my needs. Plus since I’m getting Red there doesn’t seem to be a big advantage on getting it earlier.

Can anyone who has taken delivery (or might otherwise know) say whether it appears that the Model S can be retrofitted with jump seats? Elon tweeted a few times that the Plaid would be the fastest 7-seater ever, but I haven't heard a word about it since. I'd love it if this were an option! I'm thinking debating whether I should wait for it cuz I'd hate to have it come out a few months after I take delivery.

I was referring to your statement about them sitting on 19” wheel and CF/etc trim vehicles.

Why would they not have already put those built vehicles on trucks if there weren’t issues with missing parts or production in general? Inventory that sits around hurts financial results for a given quarter. That’s why Tesla doesn’t put inventory on ships near the end of a quarter. In transit vehicles (and being in a Fremont lot is technically “in transit” even if it hasn’t moved very far) make the numbers look less good.

Read my previous post. Logistics right now is a nightmare. No rhyme or reason to it. Limited number of transports right now as well.

You’re not wrong. There is more to it than just “sitting with inventory” though.

I had a difficult time making a decision on the Plaid VS LR. As some of you may remember, I added FSD to my LR order just to see if I could get it sooner even though I didn’t really want it. So, I was looking at a fully loaded LR coming in at $100K vs a Plaid coming in at $128k. I was able to convince myself that the Plaid without FSD might be worth $28K more than the LR with FSD, and definitely worth it if I could receive the Plaid several months earlier. I was fully expecting the Plaid to arrive first, and I was quite excited about taking delivery of the worlds fastest production car. I was definitely caught up in the excitement of thinking I would have a faster car than anything else available.

After canceling my FSD package today, the price difference between virtually identical cars minus 350 horsepower is $40,000. While I could easily afford the more expensive car without it impacting my lifestyle choices, I had a hard time rationalizing a $40,000 gap for what is essentially bragging rights. My Ludicrous P90D was the fastest car I have ever owned and I fully expect the LR to offer comparable performance. Every time I drove my Performance S, I was thrilled with the performance and I was never left with wanting for more. I live in Southern California and among 23 million people within 150 miles. Where would I ever appreciate the top end of the Plaid? I started thinking about all the additional things I could buy with the $40k and decided the LR was the smarter purchase for me personally.

For those of you going with the Plaid, I’m sure that 1020 HP will put a smile on your face everyday. Part of me will probably feel some regret every time I see a Plaid on the road, but I fully expect to be quite pleased with my LR. Hopefully, those of you getting the Plaid have more restraint than I do, because I don’t think I would have the willpower to control my right foot with the temptation of 1020 HP below it.
I was in the same situation last year when I was considering an S, in my case the difference was only 12K as both my choices were inventory cars with heavy discounts. I never regretted my decision as 3.7s is more than I ever could use coming from a 2019 M3 SR+. In 22 years of driving I have never been to a track, so there’s that. I did hit 125mph on I20 recently and I don’t think I want to do that ever again. I just think I’m blessed to be able to buy these cars considering growing up dirt poor in a third world country

Last edited: