Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3’s & Y’s are sold out. Ordering one now results in delivery in September.
My wife's Y, ordered Mar 2019 but pushed back once since her X lease ends in a few days, went from July 9-24 to September. It did that the day after she extended her lease by one month.

My S remains at August due to my triple whammy of white interior, CF, and 19" wheels.

I read the post. To clarify, I’m saying:

They are still building and producing model 3 and Y cars and shipping them out every day. They are also building refresh S, slowly. If they were focused on revenue for the quarter they would let those 3/Y stack up a bit and use the limited transport availability to ship out the backlog of S that are sitting around, because those cars are higher margin.

What logical reason would they not put an already built, higher margin S on a truck instead of a 3/Y, if they have to choose due to limited transport availability?
Possibly weight limits on the truck.

I remember when they delivered my S, there was room for another vehicle but it was empty and I was the first delivery. I asked about it and he said that these cars are heavy and cannot have a full trailer of them. Probably depends on the hauler too. (This was for a covered hauler.)

My wife's Y, ordered Mar 2019 but pushed back once since her X lease ends in a few days, went from July 9-24 to September. It did that the day after she extended her lease by one month.

My S remains at August due to my triple whammy of white interior, CF, and 19" wheels.
My order is holding strong with July EDD with red / white / CF / 21”

I was in the same situation last year when I was considering an S, in my case the difference was only 12K as both my choices were inventory cars with heavy discounts. I never regretted my decision as 3.7s is more than I ever could use coming from a 2019 M3 SR+. In 22 years of driving I have never been to a track, so there’s that. I did hit 125mph on I20 recently and I don’t think I want to do that ever again. I just think I’m blessed to be able to buy these cars considering growing up dirt poor in a third world country
Come on now, Georgia is not THAT bad!

All kidding aside, awesome and congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a difficult time making a decision on the Plaid VS LR. As some of you may remember, I added FSD to my LR order just to see if I could get it sooner even though I didn’t really want it. So, I was looking at a fully loaded LR coming in at $100K vs a Plaid coming in at $128k. I was able to convince myself that the Plaid without FSD might be worth $28K more than the LR with FSD, and definitely worth it if I could receive the Plaid several months earlier. I was fully expecting the Plaid to arrive first, and I was quite excited about taking delivery of the worlds fastest production car. I was definitely caught up in the excitement of thinking I would have a faster car than anything else available.

After canceling my FSD package today, the price difference between virtually identical cars minus 350 horsepower is $40,000. While I could easily afford the more expensive car without it impacting my lifestyle choices, I had a hard time rationalizing a $40,000 gap for what is essentially bragging rights. My Ludicrous P90D was the fastest car I have ever owned and I fully expect the LR to offer comparable performance. Every time I drove my Performance S, I was thrilled with the performance and I was never left with wanting for more. I live in Southern California and among 23 million people within 150 miles. Where would I ever appreciate the top end of the Plaid? I started thinking about all the additional things I could buy with the $40k and decided the LR was the smarter purchase for me personally.

For those of you going with the Plaid, I’m sure that 1020 HP will put a smile on your face everyday. Part of me will probably feel some regret every time I see a Plaid on the road, but I fully expect to be quite pleased with my LR. Hopefully, those of you getting the Plaid have more restraint than I do, because I don’t think I would have the willpower to control my right foot with the temptation of 1020 HP below it.
As someone who has an order for both trims pending, I feel this post. Every time I’m certain about which one I’m going for, I change my mind.

Pre refresh I had a Perfomance ordered, and I was willing to fork out the extra money for what it gave you. Now that that difference is 40K it’s a little more debatable.

I wish we could test drive both trim levels right now to get a direct feel for one vs the other, but that’s probably why they don’t want us doing it - if we’re thrown back in the seat in an LR we might lose taste for a Plaid.

oh well. I’ll put off the decision for another day since both orders are blank anyway

Some quick thoughts on Plaid v. LR motors.
The carbon filament winding is described as having at least two benefits (from the launch event).

First, the carbon provides better retention for magnets in the rotating assembly thus allowing higher RPM. Elon says something about 20k rpm where other sources looking at gearing/tire diameter think it is more like 23k at 200 mph. In short, carbon permits higher motor speeds => higher vehicle speeds for a given winding/geometry.

Second, the carbon winding retains the magnets better allowing for a smaller air gap to the outer windings. Carbon is also non-ferrous. These two factors combine to provide a lower loss magnetic coupling in the motor for better efficiency.

As for what this means for porformance, the advertised 0-60 for the LR is about the same as my P90DL. My DL lays down starting at about 40 mph. I suspect, like others have mentioned, that the LR will reach its peak power and hold it given it is using the same battery as the Plaid (not sure where but I remember reading that the batteries were the same - please correct me if I am wrong).

Just spit balling here but let's say the LR's two motors are 4% less efficient than the Plaid which makes for 1020 hp * 2/3rds * 96% or 652 hp which is in line with my PDL and thus holds hands with the similar 0-60 mph. The difference is that the LR will likely hold that 652ish HP to over 100 mph assuming Tesla does not artificially limit things.

My take is the LR is going to knock the socks off most owners. Its a supper bad early PDL that just keeps pulling. All of that for less than I paid for my wife's last S!! Time for an upgrade once she has a chance to drive my Plaid and confirms she can live with the new wheel.

The carbon filament winding is described as having at least two benefits (from the launch event).

First, the carbon provides better retention for magnets in the rotating assembly thus allowing higher RPM. Elon says something about 20k rpm where other sources looking at gearing/tire diameter think it is more like 23k at 200 mph. In short, carbon permits higher motor speeds => higher vehicle speeds for a given winding/geometry.

Second, the carbon winding retains the magnets better allowing for a smaller air gap to the outer windings. Carbon is also non-ferrous. These two factors combine to provide a lower loss magnetic coupling in the motor for better efficiency.

As for what this means for porformance, the advertised 0-60 for the LR is about the same as my P90DL. My DL lays down starting at about 40 mph. I suspect, like others have mentioned, that the LR will reach its peak power and hold it given it is using the same battery as the Plaid (not sure where but I remember reading that the batteries were the same - please correct me if I am wrong).

Just spit balling here but let's say the LR's two motors are 4% less efficient than the Plaid which makes for 1020 hp * 2/3rds * 96% or 652 hp which is in line with my PDL and thus holds hands with the similar 0-60 mph. The difference is that the LR will likely hold that 652ish HP to over 100 mph assuming Tesla does not artificially limit things.

My take is the LR is going to knock the socks off most owners. Its a supper bad early PDL that just keeps pulling. All of that for less than I paid for my wife's last S!! Time for an upgrade once she has a chance to drive my Plaid and confirms she can live with the new wheel.
I’m curious what your justification is for ordering plaid.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
So for us NE folk, I ordered 19s thinking they were all seasons. Like the stealth M3P. I feel like a moron not knowing that 19s are summer tires and I’ll need to spend probably 1k or more to get all seasons.

Any other people in my boat and considering getting 21s? I haven’t been contacted by anyone from Tesla HQ, asking to upgrade wheels like others here.
This has been a surprise to me as well, I figured the 19s must be A/S. But it's actually not all bad for me: I have an AWD Highlander Hybrid that has been my only car (the wife drives our M3) while waiting for Godot, and it will happily move to the designation of "winter car" sooooooon. The bright side is that I'll get grippier performance than I would have with A/S rubber. And I don't need to go get another set of wheels/tires (unless I really hate the Tempest).

BTW, do the Tempests have wheel covers like our M3 did (we just dumped them)? If so, what do they look like underneath? Does nobody know because there haven't been any actual specimens to examine?

See, I don’t even find it strange that you know the fact that I have 2 dogs, and not 3 or 4 😅
1624797033251.gif

BTW, do the Tempests have wheel covers like our M3 did (we just dumped them)? If so, what do they look like underneath? Does nobody know because there haven't been any actual specimens to examine?
I just looked at the Tesla shop and don’t see options (yet) for a wheel cap kit. But I think some posted a while back a link to pics. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Three micro updates…

1. I had to run an errand for the wife at the mall so I stopped by to see my SA. No Plaid deliveries to Tampa yet. In fact he didn’t even have the standard two cars in the showroom! I know we mention how much things at Tesla HQ could be better but they have a product that many people want, a loyal customer base that speaks up for them whenever there is any anti-Tesla rhetoric, and for the time being a jump on competitors. (To be so lucky)

2. An impaired driver hit my family suv (no one was in the car) and totaled it. So I am now in the market for a second car! 🤷🏾

3. I almost put in a Plaid order three times but I really do want the LR. Extra range and seems plenty fast enough for my needs. Plus since I’m getting Red there doesn’t seem to be a big advantage on getting it earlier.
Yeah they sold off all their test drive cars too. Both Tampa locations now have 0 cars at each. Sorry to hear about your family, hope everyone’s okay.

I’m curious what your justification is for ordering plaid.
That is beyond super easy.

You know, someone has made a GAWD awful fast four door grocery getting daily driver that does not burn fossil fuel. I live under a lucky start and can afford it. Why on earth would I have ANYTHING else?

It also helps that I am a huge mechanical nerd. You must feed it to maintain the "huge" :)

That is beyond super easy.

You know, someone has made a GAWD awful fast four door grocery getting daily driver that does not burn fossil fuel. I live under a lucky start and can afford it. Why on earth would I have ANYTHING else?

It also helps that I am a huge mechanical nerd. You must feed it to maintain the "huge" :)
I meant plaid over the LR. But I think the same answer applies.

I meant plaid over the LR. But I think the same answer applies.
That is exactly the question I answered. Put differently, it exists and I have to have it. I'm still a kid.

I have 97k miles on my PDL and have been waiting on Tesla to build a replacement that has handling/ride qualities equal to or better than the early PDs with sport suspension. The Plaid+ looked to be the right choice so I ordered after battery day. The + is gone so Plaid it is.

My wife's replacement will be a LR as she seldom uses the acceleration she has with her current S90D. Different strokes.....

As for what this means for performance, the advertised 0-60 for the LR is about the same as my P90DL. My DL lays down starting at about 40 mph. I suspect, like others have mentioned, that the LR will reach its peak power and hold it given it is using the same battery as the Plaid (not sure where but I remember reading that the batteries were the same - please correct me if I am wrong).

This is a better representation of my thoughts on this one. Not threatening or diminishing anyone's Plaid but the curve will be held flatter and longer for the LR due to the battery technology (not versus the Plaid just on its own). That is what was hindering the past models - more than just the motors. Of course the curve will be lower than the Plaid due to a lower HP. But still I will wait for a data curve to show exactly what is happening.