Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a running list of Plaid v LR in terms of what you get for the extra 50k besides a third motor and better acceleration/top speed?
AFAIK, the only known differences at this point are:

• Three high performance motors with carbon-sleeved rotors (1020 hp) vs 2 without carbon (670 hp)
  • Ventilated side bolsters on Plaid vs Ventilated seats on LR without the side bolsters
  • Contrast piping on Plaid seats
  • Black painted calipers on Edit (Both cars)
  • Carbon fiber rear trunk spoiler on Plaid
I don’t think there are any other discernible differences, which is surprising. The LR is now pretty much a Performance car and comes standard with many features that were previously only included on P cars. This includes alcantara headliner, aluminum performance pedals, Insane performance mode and drag strip mode. The LR car is now an unquestionable bargain.

Last edited:
Took this picture last week on an LR and Plaid in Ft Myers, Fl at the SC. 19s have Pirelli P ZERO. 21 in have Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S.
Took this picture last week on an LR and Plaid in Ft Myers, Fl at the SC. 19s have Pirelli P ZERO. 21 in have Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S.
Looking at the Pirelli and Michelin web sites, looks like the Michelin are usable in winter while the Pirelli's are a real problem.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
About an hour ago I changed to the 21's. I had delayed because I wanted the range and I drive a lot so I expect to need tires every 8-10 months or so if they last 15,000 miles. Last night my wife commented that she thought they looked much better. I had not even known she had been browsing the Tesla site! After seeing this picture, I am not regretting my decision but I do wonder what the 19" will look like on a car without the covers.
i think they will look like this. the updated tesla parts catalog has a similar looking rim for the 19s.

• Three high performance motors with carbon-sleeved rotors (1020 hp) vs 2 without carbon (670 hp)
  • Ventilated side bolsters on Plaid vs Ventilated seats on LR without the side bolsters
  • Black painted calipers
  • Carbon fiber rear trunk spoiler
I don’t think there are any other discernible differences, which is surprising. The LR is now pretty much a Performance car and comes standard with many features that were previously only included on P cars. This includes alcantara headliner, aluminum pedals, Insane performance mode and drag strip mode. The LR car is now an unquestionable bargain.
I think some more are:
Torque vectoring for Plaid
Top speed, 155 vs 200
0-60.

• Black painted calipers
  • Carbon fiber rear trunk spoiler
I don’t think there are any other discernible differences, which is surprising. The LR is now pretty much a Performance car and comes standard with many features that were previously only included on P cars. This includes alcantara headliner, aluminum pedals, Insane performance mode and drag strip mode. The LR car is now an unquestionable bargain.

The LR appear to come with black painted calipers as well based on photos.

The entire picture:

1. Elon promised deliveries EoQ.

2. Refresh S is a higher profit margin car. See Elons comments on last earnings call.

3. Model 3 & Y are still shipping out, but were prioritized all these months due to lack of Model S & X. Now Model S is coming back and needs to be shipped out. They are figuring out logistics going forward and getting back into the swing of things.

4. Tesla is going into Q3 with (I would guess) less than 1,000 deliveries for Refresh S. If that number was 25 from the June delivery event. Investors would be asking a lot of questions like, “if the cars ready, why not ship? You said, and we see them stacked in the lot, whats the hold up?”. They need to have a solid number of cars delivered. 3 & Y are fine.

5. LR 19” wheels is the hold up. I was told it was purely logistics and they have them built. A lot going on EoQ. A lot we know and a lot we know and don’t understand.

Not trying to justify or dismiss your comments, which are all valid. Just passing on the info I have been told.
Hi @sam3194 thanks as always for your informative posts.

I have a question for you: if shipping logistics were the only issue, wouldn’t you think a factory pickup of a Plaid with 19” wheels be assigned a VIN already?

Again, I’m not in a hurry at all so not complaining, but my Plaid order with 19” wheels is setup for a factory pickup, yet it does not have a VIN assigned (let alone an estimated delivery - it went from July to blank last week, still blank).

Thanks again for your insights!

Tesla website, shows LR equipped with Pirelli P Zero 255/45R19 104Y. Pirelli site shows them as summer tires. They even marked for Tesla.

Pirelli link:
https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car/catalog/product/new-p-zero/255_45-r19?ipcode=3980400

2D7CF5DA-BB02-4653-A0DD-2EFB74224582.jpeg

That is exactly the question I answered. Put differently, it exists and I have to have it. I'm still a kid.

I have 97k miles on my PDL and have been waiting on Tesla to build a replacement that has handling/ride qualities equal to or better than the early PDs with sport suspension. The Plaid+ looked to be the right choice so I ordered after battery day. The + is gone so Plaid it is.

My wife's replacement will be a LR as she seldom uses the acceleration she has with her current S90D. Different strokes.....
@lolachampcar do you have any insights as to any potential differences between LR’s and Plaid’s suspension? I’m really hoping they brought the “plus” suspension back for Plaid!

i think they will look like this. the updated tesla parts catalog has a similar looking rim for the 19s.

Those are the old ones. If you look in the Tesla manual it shows these wheels under the 19 caps.. I found a photo somewhere.
I'm not sure what I think of them. They kind of remind me of hor'd'oevre forks. LOL
pulse-image-1624807472814.jpg