Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might be the first white on white LR. Bodes well for the rest of us!
Yeah - it's for my wife, she sold her car in February and has been renting a car since... I've have been getting an earful about the delays ever since, so hopefully this is the real deal.

I've noticed that there haven't been too many Whites, or even any White on Whites, so I wasn't really hopeful... especially since it was the LR not the Plaid... I contemplated about switching to or ordering a Plaid, but then couldn't justify the price difference.

Things that I thought worked against me - LR Model, White/White
Things that might have worked in my favor - 21" Wheels, FSD, Bay Area Delivery

A bit has been said about torque vectoring but I think it is worth discussing the concept a bit.

Differentials apportion acceleration and deceleration across the rear (and front if AWD) axles of a car. On acceleration, it balances power to deliver the most forward drive from the pair of rear tires. On deceleration, it adds tremendously to stability and rotation (or lack there of) on corner entry.

The ability to actively regulate torque to each rear wheel gives the designer the ability to dramatically improve power delivery on corner exit as someone has already mentioned. When you traverse an arc, the outside wheel travels in a larger diameter circle. The ability to apportion torque (and thus wheel speed) differently across the rear axle allows you to get the most acceleration. The ability to do that dynamically based on steered angle is especially useful.

The ability to very reverse torque (braking affect) on the rear axle has a similar affect in straight line stability to permit the maximum braking from the rear of the car without it wanting to swap ends.

In addition to all of this, many manufactures uses active single wheel braking for stability control. If you start to yaw the car beyond what the limits of traction allow (start to loose the rear), the stability control system will gently apply the inside wheel's brake which pulls the rear back in line. McLaren if famous for their rear brake based stability control.

Now here is the kicker that really makes Tesla stand out.......
Most ICE with traction control will leave black patches followed by clear patches when the rear breaks loose on acceleration in a straight line. I've had cars that leave 18" black marks followed by 12" clear marks repeating and others that are half that. It depends on the time constant of the drive line; that is, how fast the computer can make adjustments combined with how fast the driveline can react.

My first rear wheel drive P85 made a skittering noise on hard acceleration and would leave a fine bar code on the ground. Given torque is generated by exciting coils to generate a rotating magnetic field, time constant for the drive line is but a small percentage of ANY ICE on the planet. Put differently, the Tesla drive line can react to loss of traction many times faster than a conventional ICE. The result is much better acceleration.

Apply all of the above to the Plaid with two motors in the rear and NO differential at all and I get very excited. You now have a near infinite ability to manage traction in all conditions. You can make it turn better. You can make it rotate sharper off throttle on corner entry. You can catch the rear when the driver runs out of talent. And on and on. In addition, its all firmware. You need not have it in the car today. It can be developed and improved over time. My guess is the track pack will be all software with just a sprinkling of hardware mixed in. Exciting stuff indeed.
I would really love to see the data of the regen from the independent rear motors. It would be interesting to see if it applies more regen on the inside rear tire going into corners. Of course if you are a good driver and going into the corner at close to the ABS limit(definition of a good driver) then there is not much to be gained. In the Acura I never noticed torque vectoring except on corner exit, really killed the under steer.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid

Attachments

• 1534AF38-0DA3-4DCD-B91B-96A772BD333F.png
    1534AF38-0DA3-4DCD-B91B-96A772BD333F.png
    623.1 KB · Views: 73
  • F30CF06A-E656-4175-8AEA-2A2C3D9E1CEF.png
    F30CF06A-E656-4175-8AEA-2A2C3D9E1CEF.png
    619.1 KB · Views: 67
I would really love to see the data of the regen from the independent rear motors. It would be interesting to see if it applies more regen on the inside rear tire going into corners. Of course if you are a good driver and going into the corner at close to the ABS limit(definition of a good driver) then there is not much to be gained. In the Acura I never noticed torque vectoring except on corner exit, really killed the under steer.
It is very difficult to trail brake on ABS. It is real easy to use motor braking to rotate the car on corner entry (when you are off the brakes).

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Also the Torque vectoring which I know nothing about so not sure if it’s a big deal.
Torque vectoring makes a big difference in the handling of the vehicle; it computer-controls the amount of wheel torque on each side (L / R on each axle) so if the computer detects the slightest wheel slippage on one side, it automatically adjusts to grip the road better when cornering. It's what Porsche uses to help their cars handle so well around corners. And, yes, only the MS Plaid has this vs. the MS LR, so I suspect the LR will not handle as well as the Plaid. Another reason for the extra $40-$50k for the Plaid.

One tip for new Plaid owners--all the available sources are all compressed audio. Do yourself a favor and drop some high quality MP4 files on a USB-C stick and listen to those to really get a feel for the audio system. Uncompressed audio files would be ideal, but there seems to be SW bug with reading FLAC files right now.
most important question now that I see you playing music off of a USB device, do album arts show?

I'm sorry but I really am baffled by all you folks who contact your SA, "call Freemont" or email/text whomever at Tesla to change your refresh MS order (whether a Plaid or LR) just to possibly (b/c it's not even guaranteed you'll take delivery any sooner anyhow AND even if you did...) get your car a little earlier. I mean so many of us have been waiting several months for the car to arrive and be delivered to us, I just don't think it's worth changing CF to Wood interior trim or changing your wheels or changing your car's exterior color to get a $100k - $156k vehicle in a configuration that was NOT your 1st choice. My opinion here but it's odd to me that people feel they cannot wait another few weeks. 🤔

For me, I'm staying with EXACTLY what I ordered on 2/5/21. 😎

The P ZERO is only made as a Max Performance Summer tire. The photos I took were a Florida location. The P Zero has horrible tread wear so you will be able to put your own tires on pretty quickly. The Michelin below is what my next set will be.
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 is the BEST AS tire out there! Awesome grip in dry, wet and great, long-lasting tread wear. 👍 btw -- I can't stand the super soft Pirelli's. Blah!

My sad and lonely wall connector. Without a buddy since February. Been through too many estimated delivery dates/months to count. Currently parked on "July."

View attachment 678496
NIce to see another knoxville address. Stuck in same boat as you, had the charger since January with nothing to plug it into. At this point it's a race to see if the new Knoxvilke sales room opens up before my VIN is assigned, otherwise over to Nashville for a pickup.

The release notes were the ever popular "bug fixes" -- nothing obvious changed.
Frankly, with ALL of these MS Plaid deliveries completed with so many more coming in the next few days/weeks, etc, I'm a bit surprised (and disappointed) that Tesla hasn't already released the big UI update to V11. I mean, where's the rotating main screen, independent bt audio for the rear screen and what about all the greyed out features not working yet? Anyone have any thoughts on this? 🤔

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I really am baffled by all you folks who contact your SA, "call Freemont" or email/text whomever at Tesla to change your refresh MS order (whether a Plaid or LR) just to possibly (b/c it's not even guaranteed you'll take delivery any sooner anyhow AND even if you did...) get your car a little earlier. I mean so many of us have been waiting several months for the car to arrive and be delivered to us, I just don't think it's worth changing CF to Wood interior trim or changing your wheels or changing your car's exterior color to get a $100k - $156k vehicle in a configuration that was NOT your 1st choice. My opinion here but it's odd to me that people feel they cannot wait another few weeks. 🤔

For me, I'm staying with EXACTLY what I ordered on 2/5/21. 😎
The biggest thing is, no matter what combination you pick, you might not get the car at your location because the monkey might not assign cars to anyone at that location. Tampa SC has yet to receive a single Plaid shipment (while other places have randomly received cars that were ordered the same week or the week prior)