Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The industry will never truly catch up to Tesla, because they don't innovate. They have all been safely making all their products similar to reduce consumer choice and hedge their bets that everything being close to a competitor is safe.

Now they are trying to copy Tesla out of necessity, and that is not innovation. So they may end up copying what Tesla is doing now, but they are entrenched in decades of churning out the same incremental crap year after year, so good luck leaping ahead of Tesla. They will do just enough to give customers an option other than Tesla, and that is where they will stop.
We have a recent example where someone did arguably leap frog Tesla.
The dings against Tesla's performance sedan were that it was a one trick pony that could only perform that trick once. They were an initial acceleration marvel with bad interior, handling a build quality.
Porsche steps in with the Taycan and addresses some of those issues. Being a small company with low production runs and heavy on engineering, they were best positioned to do something like this. It was a bit of a success in that it was as fast (faster), had Porsche build and attention to detail and even had some reasonable range. That was a German car manufacturer doing the very best they could. It was not a bad effort.
With the Plaid, that window has closed. Any advantage the Taycan had (apart from being a Porsche) has evaporated and yet that is what Porsche is stuck with for many years.

Looking forward and playing off what others have posted, Tesla's big game in the car arena is the 3 and Y. I am amazed with the Y and think they have knocked it completely out of the park. Someone stepped up to challenge the S and Tesla has responded definitively. The now canceled + will be the updated Plaid in a few years so good luck to anyone thinking they will target the Plaid today.

Backing out to a larger picture view, Elon's fascination with cars and the machine that builds the machine is short lived in comparison to the bigger picture items. In 50 years we may be talking about how Tesla changed the automotive industry but will it really be a big deal that Tesla replaced GM? Probably not. What will be a big deal is the advancement in battery technology that accelerated so many other industries (power generation for one) in addition to the automotive industry. In addition, we will be steeped in AI. I see these two things, along with the SpaceX efforts, as the long term game changing activity. Tesla does cars but really seems a battery and AI company to me.

Posted by a yet to be first time Tesla owner. I'm not saying your opinion or tolerance will change after owning the car; only saying that mine did.
Yes, but this kind of thing is also only tolerable once under certain circumstances - not repeatedly. Remember that production hasn't been there for 6 months for the S and X. If things were THIS unpredictable each and every time Tesla would be having a rougher time of it. I hope they do an internal review to prevent recurrences from happening in the future.

Yup and I hope that most plaid owners drive their plaid’s responsibly. If driving on a totally open road with no cars around, then okay fine. However, some of these drag races on public roads, at 160mph with other cars around is a bit too much. Reviewers have already said the brakes are the weakest link. People need to chill a little.
I'll see if I can dig up a debris field for a 150 mph shunt in a 4-5k lb car. That opened my eyes.

Very informative thread. Haven't been on in years. I have been too busy driving my 2014 P85 with 107,000 miles. I still giggle every mile I drive and was like most of you reserving the Plaid+. I waited a several days before I placed the plaid order and June has gone away and delivery is now blank. Thanks for all the comments as it has made me more excited to continuously check the order page and look for updates. Being 70 makes me yearn for more CHROME but with some of the comments here, just maybe I will like the chrome out option. I had my polished wheels months before the P85 since I waited almost 6 months for it. Picking it up, it was surrounded with cars with the first version of autopilot. My vin was 49903 so just missed it .. but didn't miss it at all. Thanks again for all the comments and updates.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014 P85 - White | Fabric | Piano |
2021 MS PLAID - Pearl White exterior | White/White/Carbon Fiber interior | 21" Arachnid Wheels | FSD
Welcome back fellow long hauler!!!!

Yes, but this kind of thing is also only tolerable once under certain circumstances - not repeatedly. Remember that production hasn't been there for 6 months for the S and X. If things were THIS unpredictable each and every time Tesla would be having a rougher time of it. I hope they do an internal review to prevent recurrences from happening in the future.
Please do not take my comment for a defense of Tesla. I have a laundry list of fairly bad behavior by the busniness side of the company. My comment was driven by the very positive interactions with the car and the folks on the service side (a little scatter brained but always kind and trying to be helpful). I've found those sides of the company make the total interaction a large positive for me but I do actively avoid any interaction with the business side of the house. When I do have to engage them, like when buying another car, my expectations are beyond low, I know I will be fed a line of garbage and I'm always wary of which end of the snake I'm picking up.

I listened very closely to that video and others posted on the Ford site. Apparently they are using one of their 9 motors to spin up a flywheel. You can hear it several seconds before the drag runs starting to spool then really ramping up just before the launch. They are storing a bunch of kinetic energy then likely using a programmed clutch engagement (think funny or top fueler) to feed that power to the rears at the limit of traction.

Neat solution to the battery supplying impulse energy problem. Not worth a hoot in a daily driver but hugely good PR for Ford as it lets them feed their base with a Plaid beater.

Please do not take my comment for a defense of Tesla. I have a laundry list of fairly bad behavior by the busniness side of the company. My comment was driven by the very positive interactions with the car and the folks on the service side (a little scatter brained but always kind and trying to be helpful). I've found those sides of the company make the total interaction a large positive for me but I do actively avoid any interaction with the business side of the house. When I do have to engage them, like when buying another car, my expectations are beyond low, I know I will be fed a line of garbage and I'm always wary of which end of the snake I'm picking up.
Unfortunately for us who are first time buyers, business end is the only end we have got to experience yet, and we’re missing out on that positive car or service experience.

It seems most car manufacturers put resources where they can generate differentiation or limit differentiation if at a disadvantage. The BMW or MB owner wants a pleasant dealer experience so those companies spend time/energy/effort on those items. The Tesla draw is the end product so Tesla tries to limit dealer interactions. I'm sure they would have loved to have their sell/order online deliver to the house work perfectly so they would not need showrooms and "associates" patrolling them.

I guess the community could force them to re-allocate resources but I really like the results so far and would hate to see the hardware suffer (99% of my interaction with the brand) to improve the showroom/buying experience. In an ideal world, both are possible but that does not seem to be born out by other manufacturers. It's a bit like having to wait to charge on trips at a SuperCharger. Sure I spend more time on the rare cross country but I save all that time not having to go to gas stations for the remainder (and by far the bulk) of the miles I put on the car.

It seems most car manufacturers put resources where they can generate differentiation or limit differentiation if at a disadvantage. The BMW or MB owner wants a pleasant dealer experience so those companies spend time/energy/effort on those items. The Tesla draw is the end product so Tesla tries to limit dealer interactions. I'm sure they would have loved to have their sell/order online deliver to the house work perfectly so they would not need showrooms and "associates" patrolling them.

I guess the community could force them to re-allocate resources but I really like the results so far and would hate to see the hardware suffer (99% of my interaction with the brand) to improve the showroom/buying experience. In an ideal world, both are possible but that does not seem to be born out by other manufacturers. It's a bit like having to wait to charge on trips at a SuperCharger. Sure I spend more time on the rare cross country but I save all that time not having to go to gas stations for the remainder (and by far the bulk) of the miles I put on the car.
I’m completely okay without the dealership experience. I just can’t get passed the ordering system that tells you that you will get a car in June, then not a single person reaches out to you for a week, and when they do, they tell you “maybe October”. A couple of days late for logistical or transport issues (as long as addressed in advance and not 30 mins before your appointment) is okay, but June to “maybe October” is not okay haha

The industry will never truly catch up to Tesla, because they don't innovate. They have all been safely making all their products similar to reduce consumer choice and hedge their bets that everything being close to a competitor is safe.

Now they are trying to copy Tesla out of necessity, and that is not innovation. So they may end up copying what Tesla is doing now, but they are entrenched in decades of churning out the same incremental crap year after year, so good luck leaping ahead of Tesla. They will do just enough to give customers an option other than Tesla, and that is where they will stop.
All true. Execpt for the yoke.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I’ve seen quite a few posts about plaid vs LR from a cost / value perspective. Many seem to focus on the 50k difference and argue that it’s not worth it. I’m not up to speed on resale value of say LR vs Performance but I would imagine the resale value of the Plaid will hold its value the same as the LR. If so then the 50k difference is not going to cost you 50k more to have owned once you resale the car. What do you think? 3 years from now how much of that 50k will be lost. I pick my plaid up tomorrow and wanted it regardless but have rationalized that I’m not throwing away 50k more.

I’ve seen quite a few posts about plaid vs LR from a cost / value perspective. Many seem to focus on the 50k difference and argue that it’s not worth it. I’m not up to speed on resale value of say LR vs Performance but I would imagine the resale value of the Plaid will hold its value the same as the LR. If so then the 50k difference is not going to cost you 50k more to have owned once you resale the car. What do you think? 3 years from now how much of that 50k will be lost. I pick my plaid up tomorrow and wanted it regardless but have rationalized that I’m not throwing away 50k more.

Resale value always way worse for P and higher trims. It's ok. Value is relative. Launches are hella fun.