Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I am having some delivery delays in my opinion I shouldnt be so far back in line. I ordered plaid plus 3-5 min after Elon said you can order now back in September 2020 on battery day. My spec is blue, wood, 21” with black interior so all parts should br in stock. I have the old price at about $125k base which is good but wanted a plaid plus. Qustion: Is there equity in this car if I buy and resell? I see them listed at near $200k but doubt anyone is paying anywhere near that. I heard from SC yesterday they are making 1600 units a month which is not a “rare” car to justify huge over msrp markup. I could see it worth 10k over sticker right now but July/August. I guess i will cancel and see if a plaid plus with aero, bigger brakes, more unique features comes out. I don’t really see the value of regular Plaid. I wanted the beast we saw at Laguna with spoilers and major high performance parts testing with 520 mile range too.
"I wanted the beast....."
I believe Elon's point was that Plaid was performing so well that + was not needed. Given what I have seen so far, I believe he is correct.

Plaid does not have +'s better than 520 mile range.
Plaid does not have a sub 9 second 1/4 mile.

Plaid is a beast.

+ is likely to happen at some point in the future. If compelled, you should wait for it but I would say you would be in exactly the same position you are in now but the leap in performance will be much less.

I have no comment on the idea of scalping a car like this (or any other for that matter).

Holy s*** I got a VIN number! But weird thing is that Estimated Delivery is AUGUST. WTF!
I got an email saying that payment is due.
Oh man, I hope I get mine soon. My delivery date has said August for months now, ordered 2/21. And I am selling my current S this Friday. I have white/white LR on order, FSD, 19 (will be putting on matte black HREs on shortly after delivery).

I will miss free supercharging, but can't wait for this new S!!!

So I changed the color from blue to black and wheels from 19" to 21"!
I was getting a strong resistance from my wife regarding the blue color so i fell prey to that. And recent black pictures did not help lol
And yes, the guy at the front desk in the tesla showroom told me that tesla makes cars for the US only 4 times a year, so I will get my LR in september.
Was this for the Plaid and, if so, did you get surcharged based on the price increase for changing your configuration? Asking for a friend…

Does changing the color if I have pre ordered a plaid cause the $10,000 increase or can I change the color? Can’t decide between MGM, blue or the red. Currently have red / white / CF / 21 on order.
I’m being told from my SA that it does, but there are folks on here that claim to have accomplished this without the increase…. I ordered the MSM, but the black caught my eye…

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Taken from glassdoor:

"
Pros
You get to work for a company that is changing the industry.

Cons
The recruiter sold it as a sales focused job. The reality is that we were a call center admin for all of America. We were answering phone calls for sales associates across America because the show rooms could[n't] keep up. Asking to be knowledgeable about every state and their regulations for purchasing a car is difficult. A majority of the calls were:
• Upset clients because they could not get a hold of their sales person or anyone in the show room
• They recently got their car, but there is quality control issues. Such as, paint issues, heating issues, or hardware issues
• They placed their order the beginning of 2021 and their estimated delivery was March, but now they are getting their estimated delivery updated to July

Also, one day you may be doing phone call, another day you may be doing chat room, or you may also be asked to wash a car. The via was more of a disorganized MLM, than a proper tech car company.

Advice to Management
Hire a VP that has worked in hospitality.
"

Kinda explains a lot...and it didn't seem like too much training or information was passed along. I wouldn't be surprised if some folks were just making things up!

But that last advice is something they really should take seriously. I think if they polish up that part of their business and drastically improve the service centers, there should be no limits for this company.

First rule of Tesla BEV, never use the brakes.
Second rule of Tesla BEV, never use the brakes.

I found the range learning curve was heavily dependent upon learning to one pedal drive. ICE teaches you to keep your foot on the accelerator comping up to a stop then lifting and braking with some authority. This is what those around you expect and, in the absence of it, they will get upset and try to dive in front of you.

With my MS', I seldom if ever use the brakes apart from coming to a full stop. Every so often I will intentionally use them to keep the the light dusting of rust off of them so that they react quickly when you need them. (let the dust over and try to use them quickly just once - the resulting panic will keep you from ever making that mistake again). I have found that I can accelerate as I like away from a light (hard but not launch hard) and it has near zero affect on my range provided I use one pedal driving and regen. My lifetime WHr/mile has been anywhere from 280-330 depending upon car variant. That is in S. FL with warm temperature and flat ground - ideal for BEV.
You give good advice, sir. New BEV drivers may tend to underestimate the roles of speed, temperature, precipitation and wind. Even in flat Florida, experienced BEV drivers know that the energy consumption declines by 10% or more when traveling with prevailing wind and the opposite when traveling against it. I have not measured that since I first did so with my fondly-remembered P85D. I drove north I95 and South I95 in nearly identical conditions, both late night with minimal traffic (by I95 standards) against the wind was 340 Wh/mi with the wind 280 Wh/mi.

Nobody yet knows how real world Plaid or LR efficiency will actually work, since the EPA numbers depends on the EPA driving cycle. It is safe to guess that the improved aerodynamics will slightly reduce speed and wind penalties, and might improve higher speed efficiencies too.
Above all, one pedal driving, as WPB speed maven says, is magic, especially in any dense traffic or urban use.

There are numerous threads about this subject including hypermiling ones. Someone is always seeking the lowest possible energy use, while others, like R. Pobst, are trying to get the highest possible performance. New Tesla owners will often become quite obsessive about those metrics, and some of us never lose those obsessions.

Has anyone had luck changing configuration more than once and kept their $119K pricing? I initially changed paint color when the order was moved from Plaid+ to Plaid but now that more photos and videos are being posted of the ebony wood interior, I would like to switch from CF to that. I've tried calling my local Tesla location with no luck. Is there an alternate point of contact that may be able to accommodate something like this?

It's pretty frustrating that they're limiting trim adjustments on such an expensive car, especially when they essentially only provided online renders to order from. They also didn't give Plaid+ reservation holders much time to review and confirm months old trim decisions. I'm a little frustrated at Tesla about this issue.
Having a similar issue. I havent found an outlet.

As it stands, if I change the color request on an order from March, on a car they have not made yet, promised a delivery date (currently blank), nor assigned to me, they want $10k more….

Oh man, I hope I get mine soon. My delivery date has said August for months now, ordered 2/21. And I am selling my current S this Friday. I have white/white LR on order, FSD, 19 (will be putting on matte black HREs on shortly after delivery).

I will miss free supercharging, but can't wait for this new S!!!
I hope you get yours soon too since you ordered way before some of us did. The estimated DD on website for current orders with Tempest Wheels is August and White interior is September :eek:

No. It won't work right as there are built in controls that can't be easily emulated or fabricated. Not easy as a simple swap without Tesla making it.
It will certainly work because there are companies that are busy fabricating steering wheels for high end cars. Here is one that makes them:

Here is a Yoke steering wheels installed by iTesla on his Model 3:

I'm fairly certain that companies like this will come up with a regular steering wheel for Refresh Model S.