Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. It won't work right as there are built in controls that can't be easily emulated or fabricated. Not easy as a simple swap without Tesla making it.
Don’t be too sure about that. If there’s a demand, someone will build it. Either:

A. Someone will offer a service where they sell you a full wheel that is built off the “guts” of a yoke. You buy the wheel and send your yoke to them as a core. (Very common practice)
B. Someone will just engineer their own PCB & buttons and make a completely new wheel with more tactile buttons.

If there is a demand, the aftermarket will find a way. Example: In the Porsche world, there’s a company that sells a module that allows you to take a current generation steering wheel and use it (with fully functioning controls) with an older generation 911.

Don’t be too sure about that. If there’s a demand, someone will build it. Either:

A. Someone will offer a service where they sell you a full wheel that is built off the “guts” of a yoke. You buy the wheel and send your yoke to them as a core. (Very common practice)
B. Someone will just engineer their own PCB & buttons and make a completely new wheel with more tactile buttons.

If there is a demand, the aftermarket will find a way. Example: In the Porsche world, there’s a company that sells a module that allows you to take a current generation steering wheel and use it (with fully functioning controls) with an older generation 911.
Or Tesla makes a round wheel standard, yoke a $500 upgrade, and if you want to convert from yoke to round they’ll do it for you….. for $500 😅

Agreed but Tesla makes things tough. You can't modify or work on the hardware without rooting the software to get the car to ignore non OEM hardware or modifications. We can't even add FM back to MCU1 to 2 cars without paying Tesla $500. If you do the work yourself, it doesn't work without rooting the gateway and then Tesla mothership detects the modification and blacklists you.

I'm just saying it's not easy but if there is a will, there is a way. Wk057 made a P100++ and modified his wife's nonAP to AP1.

There’s an actual gaming store? How does that work? Similar to Google Play Store and AppStore? Can you install 3rd party or is it Tesla proprietary stuff?
Probably only what tesla makes available. I think the store is there already so someone with a car should know specifics. I was supposed to receive mine yesterday but my vin was stolen from me :mad:

Hi. I am having some delivery delays in my opinion I shouldnt be so far back in line. I ordered plaid plus 3-5 min after Elon said you can order now back in September 2020 on battery day. My spec is blue, wood, 21” with black interior so all parts should br in stock. I have the old price at about $125k base which is good but wanted a plaid plus. Qustion: Is there equity in this car if I buy and resell? I see them listed at near $200k but doubt anyone is paying anywhere near that. I heard from SC yesterday they are making 1600 units a month which is not a “rare” car to justify huge over msrp markup. I could see it worth 10k over sticker right now but July/August. I guess i will cancel and see if a plaid plus with aero, bigger brakes, more unique features comes out. I don’t really see the value of regular Plaid. I wanted the beast we saw at Laguna with spoilers and major high performance parts testing with 520 mile range too.

There is no equity / appreciation in any mass produced car. Period.

Hi. I am having some delivery delays in my opinion I shouldnt be so far back in line. I ordered plaid plus 3-5 min after Elon said you can order now back in September 2020 on battery day. My spec is blue, wood, 21” with black interior so all parts should br in stock. I have the old price at about $125k base which is good but wanted a plaid plus. Qustion: Is there equity in this car if I buy and resell? I see them listed at near $200k but doubt anyone is paying anywhere near that. I heard from SC yesterday they are making 1600 units a month which is not a “rare” car to justify huge over msrp markup. I could see it worth 10k over sticker right now but July/August. I guess i will cancel and see if a plaid plus with aero, bigger brakes, more unique features comes out. I don’t really see the value of regular Plaid. I wanted the beast we saw at Laguna with spoilers and major high performance parts testing with 520 mile range too.
I'm thinking what was the Plaid+ will be here in about 2 years, give or take 6 months. But, I also (along with other people) believe there will be a Track Pack available for the Plaid, much the same there is one for the M3P. Likely to include a software update with added features as well as wheels, tires, brake rotors & pads, and PERHAPS the active aero spoiler - but that could be quite pricey. That would get you everything from the Plaid+ aside from the 4680 structural pack. They could also keep the spoiler for the next iteration of the car in a couple years as well, we don't know.

I'm going for the Plaid now and will plan to upgrade in 3-4 years regardless of Tesla's schedule.

Advice to Management
Hire a VP that has worked in hospitality.
"

Kinda explains a lot...and it didn't seem like too much training or information was passed along. I wouldn't be surprised if some folks were just making things up!

But that last advice is something they really should take seriously. I think if they polish up that part of their business and drastically improve the service centers, there should be no limits for this company.

I have long, long, LONG said this, since my very first interaction with the company. Having worked in an industry retail selling million dollar product, Tesla doesn't have the FIRST CLUE about even the most rudimentary level of customer service. If you come from any kind of upscale retail, service or hospitality industry, the omissions are stark, and they are very obvious. Y ou can tell that the majority of forward facing personnel at Tesla are poorly trained and DGAF about helping you. Really.

Telsa would do well to hire someone who has served and done well leading customer service in one of those industries. They really, really would. And before someone says "yeah, but they sell all that they make", that's zero excuse. None. It's a publicly traded company. Those types of managers, those set of rules for customer service go beyond external customers. They transfer over to internal customers. And you know what happens then? The product gets better, it gets made faster, and it gets made cheaper. Because people give a crap and they want the product to succeed. And that has a cumulative effect throughout the company, and leads to greater financial success.

I'm not making this up. I mean, this is pretty basic management. You can read one of thousands of books on it or hell even go get a masters degree in it if you wanted.

Tesla delivered my black/black 21" today. Delivery went perfectly except for 2 spots in the rear where fabric is peeling off and needs to be reglued. They should have cought that.

Otherwise car is great. It took me 10 minutes to get used to the yolk. Im still figuring out the rest of the tech as this is my first Tesla.

My only complaint is Im using close to 400wh/mi highway when I should be around 200. That gives me a range of under 200 miles. I had the air on and was accelerating a bit but not driving crazy. Any ideas how to increase my range?

Not even a RWD Model 3 Long Range with 18" aeros in 70 degree weather with the AC off is getting 200 Wh/mile on the highway. Not sure where you got that idea from.

I have long, long, LONG said this, since my very first interaction with the company. Having worked in an industry retail selling million dollar product, Tesla doesn't have the FIRST CLUE about even the most rudimentary level of customer service. If you come from any kind of upscale retail, service or hospitality industry, the omissions are stark, and they are very obvious. Y ou can tell that the majority of forward facing personnel at Tesla are poorly trained and DGAF about helping you. Really.

Telsa would do well to hire someone who has served and done well leading customer service in one of those industries. They really, really would. And before someone says "yeah, but they sell all that they make", that's zero excuse. None. It's a publicly traded company. Those types of managers, those set of rules for customer service go beyond external customers. They transfer over to internal customers. And you know what happens then? The product gets better, it gets made faster, and it gets made cheaper. Because people give a crap and they want the product to succeed. And that has a cumulative effect throughout the company, and leads to greater financial success.

I'm not making this up. I mean, this is pretty basic management. You can read one of thousands of books on it or hell even go get a masters degree in it if you wanted.

And do not forget that it is easy to to say "yeah, but they sell all that they make" when they have limited production capacity and limited competition. When more plants are online and people have more viable alternatives, the market will change for Tesla.

Oh, another piece of info for you. I had a mobile tech come out to the house for something today and he said he had done some test work up in Fremont on the new S. He said the plan was to pretty soon make the Yoke an "option". The plan is for a regular wheel to be the standard and the yoke will be a $500 option.

Of course "soon" in Tesla lingo could be never or years, so take that with a grain of salt.

Best news I've heard all day! And congrats!

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
And do not forget that it is easy to to say "yeah, but they sell all that they make" when they have limited production capacity and limited competition. When more plants are online and people have more viable alternatives, the market will change for Tesla.
Unfortunately, I don't think they'll change until they have to, which is when this happens.

But then you would have to fund that entity and care more about your customer.

That is not the Tesla way. Customers are a dime a dozen and their demand must be manipulated. Keep out innovating everyone and you will not have a customer demand problem.

I’m not defending it; just calling it like I see it.

On the bright side, they seem to have gotten the initial quality and panel fit message along with the cheap interior complaints. They have addressed both if initial deliveries are any indication.

We all wanted that car from battery day. I ordered same day you did. Since it’s no longer possible, the regular plaid will work just fine for me. Those of us that ordered in late 2020 have 2 choices:
1. Wait a year or two and hope the plus eventually comes out
2. Go with regular plaid now and upgrade later when (and if) the plus is available.
This was a no brainer for me. I chose 2 👍

Last edited:
We all wanted that car from battery day. Since it’s no longer possible, the regular plaid will work just fine for me. Those of us that ordered in late 2020 have 2 choices:
1. Wait a year or two and hope the plus eventually comes out
2. Go with regular plaid now and upgrade later when (and if) the plus is available.
This was a no brainer for me. I chose 2 👍
Don’t be someone who reserved the roadster during the 2017 hype, be someone who bought a Plaid because it exists.

But then you would have to fund that entity and care more about your customer.

That is not the Tesla way. Customers are a dime a dozen and their demand must be manipulated. Keep out innovating everyone and you will not have a customer demand problem.

I’m not defending it; just calling it like I see it.

On the bright side, they seem to have gotten the initial quality and panel fit message along with the cheap interior complaints. They have addressed both if initial deliveries are any indication.

Again, this is short sighted. I'm not criticizing you, I'm criticizing Tesla.

Yes, you have to fund that entity. But in the long run, it more than pays for itself. Again, this is proven. It is much easier to keep current customers with good customer service than to have to pay to innovate to keep them. Innovation is hard, and it is expensive. And you have a growing number of companies entering the market every day to come steal Tesla's lunch. Yes, they are way behind. But eventually, these products will start eating into their sales.

Again, I'm not making this up. It's well researched, documented and proven. And by combining constant innovation PLUS excellent customer service (hell, even basic customer service would be an improvement), you'd have a dynamite combination and it's just better overall.

Look at Chick Fil A. Their product is inexpensive and market competitive. Arguably, it's not even as good as other competing products (the Popeyes sandwich is better). However, look at their customer service. That takes money to train, but they see it as valuable and make the investment. All to sell you a $9 sandwich meal. And people return and are loyal because of it.

So if CFA can do it, Tesla certainly can afford to do it.

Don’t be someone who reserved the roadster during the 2017 hype, be someone who bought a Plaid because it exists.
Lol yup.. I was so close to ordering a Roadster but decided to wait until it actually exists.. Some folks paid $250k upfront in 2017 for the Founder’s edition which is really mind blowing. I don’t care how much money someone has, having $250k in Tesla’s account for 4+ years makes zero sense.

Still blank.. this is brutal

Last edited: