Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Holy cow I got a VIN! Woohoo!! 😁👍

The wait has been tiresome at times, but reading this thread and everyone's contributions over the months has made the journey more tolerable, enjoyable and definitely made time go by faster, so a huge thank you to everyone in here for that! Still crossing my fingers that the VIN doesn't disappear or anything weird like a few others have unfortunately reported, but this finally feels real!
Congrats! I really don't get it though... Tesla has held my $1000 since I ordered on 11/8/20 (RN1141) and here you have the EXACT same config/colors and get a VIN before me. Your order date 1/28/21 was well after mine. What could be the cause of this?

OK, back from the spa:
AMAZING looking car!!!

I'm debating whether to do XPEL PPF on the whole car or just Front plus Opticoat Pro+. Would be curious as to your thoughts on why you decided to not go with PPF, if you don't mind sharing :)

Congrats! I really don't get it though... Tesla has held my $1000 since I ordered on 11/8/20 (RN1141) and here you have the EXACT same config/colors and get a VIN before me. Your order date 1/28/21 was well after mine. What could be the cause of this?
Location and possible new MS Plaid allocation for that state and locality? Trust me…I don’t get it myself! But that’s possible. Tesla is crazy with how they build & deliver cars. 🤔🤨

That would explain why Tesla has eliminated the option. They have become much more focused on efficiency, and range and it really isn’t very difficult to adjust your driving style. If the lower regen options are on there - then that is what most ICE drivers will immediately feel comfortable with. They will set it on the least amount of regen possible and never bother learning how to drive it by modulating the accelerator. This will result in lower efficiency of the entire Tesla fleet. For a company that is trying to transition the world to renewable energy and lower greenhouse gas emissions, it makes sense why they decided to eliminate the choice. They can then offer the Plaid to performance enthusiasts that don’t care at all about efficiency, because it is such a small percentage of the pie that it is pretty insignificant. Lower efficiency on the entire Tesla fleet is a much bigger issue.
But this simply can't be true. The EPA does not test all possible settings of the vehicle. They have a profile for city driving and a profile for highway driving. They run the vehicle till the battery drains to get a range. And this is done in a controlled environment, which is why the real range never matches the estimated range.

That would explain why Tesla has eliminated the option. They have become much more focused on efficiency, and range and it really isn’t very difficult to adjust your driving style. If the lower regen options are on there - then that is what most ICE drivers will immediately feel comfortable with. They will set it on the least amount of regen possible and never bother learning how to drive it by modulating the accelerator. This will result in lower efficiency of the entire Tesla fleet. For a company that is trying to transition the world to renewable energy and lower greenhouse gas emissions, it makes sense why they decided to eliminate the choice. They can then offer the Plaid to performance enthusiasts that don’t care at all about efficiency, because it is such a small percentage of the pie that it is pretty insignificant. Lower efficiency on the entire Tesla fleet is a much bigger issue.
Wow that's a lot of words for "they didn't have everything ready in time for launch".

MarG is your guy for track analysis. I'm especially looking forward to his feedback on modifications as he makes them and how they affect handling at the limit on the track.

As for me, I'm dog slow in door slammers. One of the things I've always admired about Randy is he can get out of a rolling and swaying 911 after turning competitive lap times and hop in something like (my old) Chevron B36 and be equally competitive. I saw it first hand at The Glen when he was coaching the guys that bought the 36. It is a sight to behold and a skill I do not posses.

What I will be doing is finding out exactly how the plaid handles from a grip at each end standpoint at street speeds. It's like doing a stall sequence in a new plane; I'm a firm believe in knowing car balance before I'm in a situation where I need to KNOW a car's balance :). I'm also looking forward to fully understanding what Tesla is doing with torque steer both on corner entry and exit. Someone else has already posted that the car's stability control pulls power when there is steering input. Hopefully it is not like my ole M5 that called no joy once you even thought about turning the steering wheel. If the Plaid is anything like my PD, it will not like trail braking one bit and you will need a bit of right pedal. I can assure you that there is enough right pedal on available on the 2015 P90DL to completely piss off the front tires on corner exit even with the front motor pulling away.
Aww thanks @lolachampcar

Not sure I’ll do much with the suspension, it really depends how good it out of the factory. My Plaid will be dual-purpose, so I want to make sure it’s still comfortable enough

I know Unplugged Performance and Randy were mostly pleased with it, they just swapped the struts for Bilsteins.

I’ll definitely change the brakes, at the minimum new rotors and pads, but might need larger calipers too - TBD on how good or bad the stock ones are.

Then of course, dedicated track wheels and tires. Let’s see if Tesla comes up with a 20” track-specific wheel that’s light enough for my taste.

I have a order in since mid December for LR 19s MSM/ black. RN number 1142. I live in Fresno which is just a couple hours from Fremont. Don’t even have a date. For a one week span and I had a date as of June, and then it disappeared.
Dude! I thought I was getting screwed. You’re really getting hosed!

Tesla website's managed by idiots lol
Check this out:
Delivery estimate is still showing as June and now even for Tempest Wheels it's June. Anyone wants their Plaid/LR delivered in June?
Screenshot_20210703-011002_Samsung Internet.jpg
🤣

AMAZING looking car!!!

I'm debating whether to do XPEL PPF on the whole car or just Front plus Opticoat Pro+. Would be curious as to your thoughts on why you decided to not go with PPF, if you don't mind sharing :)
It's a bit convoluted, but...
  • My experience is the only parts of the car that get road rash are the front bumper cover and the hood, so....
  • It seems like a waste of money to wrap the whole car, so maybe just get a bra...
  • But I can see the difference between a wrapped and unwrapped panel and that will bother me more on a daily basis than some road rash, plus, one the years, I have gotten pretty good at fixing minor paint chip--the kit Tesla sells is pretty good
:)

Did you need to have any paint correction done? I assume that means buffing out spots, etc. (I've never done it). FWIW, as another data point, I was quoted the same 1500 for opitcoat pro + here in Nashville.
Actually, no. They said the paint was in good shape. They just washed, clay barred and had to polish a couple of spots--nothing they charged for.

Fresh out of logic, can I interest you in a meme instead? 🤪

80012E51-7023-46C1-A333-1F6A8721E6A4.jpeg