Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New LR owner, what'is the indicated range when fully charge?
My LR with 21” arachnids charges to 377 miles at 100%

IMG_0492.jpg

Last edited:
Things are getting a bit strange on my end.

Does anyone have a screen shot of a pre-$10K Plaid price increase configuration from the Tesla web site? Or, can someone that still has pre-price increase Plaid pricing please PM me their cost break down?

Thanks,
Bill

thank you Muzzman1

Attachments

• 5D762291-B643-4745-A645-82C0D47C81A2.jpeg
    5D762291-B643-4745-A645-82C0D47C81A2.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Congrats! I really don't get it though... Tesla has held my $1000 since I ordered on 11/8/20 (RN1141) and here you have the EXACT same config/colors and get a VIN before me. Your order date 1/28/21 was well after mine. What could be the cause of this?
It’s location. Tesla isn’t saying “OK, it’s time to build xEvoLveDx’s car and ship it to him.” They’re saying “we’ve got a car hauler heading to South Carolina in an hour with one empty spot on it. Do we have a Model S built that matches an order in that area?”

It’s all about logistics. I’m also convinced this feeds into why some have received calls to switch orders and then get delivery in a week or two. If there are no perfect matches, they’ll call someone close and say “hey if you’re willing to change wheels, we’ve got a car that we can send your way.”

Be patient. This isn’t about when you ordered. It’s about where you live and what Tesla has built. Your luck number will get drawn at some point!

It's a bit convoluted, but...
  • My experience is the only parts of the car that get road rash are the front bumper cover and the hood, so....
  • It seems like a waste of money to wrap the whole car, so maybe just get a bra...
  • But I can see the difference between a wrapped and unwrapped panel and that will bother me more on a daily basis than some road rash, plus, one the years, I have gotten pretty good at fixing minor paint chip--the kit Tesla sells is pretty good
:)
Just adding to @omarsultan comments (isn't he just a stand-up guy?)in terms of PPF. If you are in a harsh climate where there is sand or gravel on the roads throughout the winter months. If you are wanting to protect the car and not over do it by completely wrapping it. My experience with PPF film and the Model S (Black, white and MSM) is this...
  • Front bumper
  • Side view mirrors
  • Headlights and driving lights
  • Entire hood (I don't like seams at the 18" mark up the hood)
  • Both front fenders (completely, again I don't like seams)
  • Rocker panels (Some kits will include the lower 4 inches of all four doors in the rocker panel kit, this is a good consideration to include. The leading edge of the rear doors, about the bottom couple inches will see some road wear)
  • Rear bumper lower section behind the rear wheels (You don't really see too much deterioration of the paint on a daily basis, but i promise the rear bad-ass 295's are aiming for it)
  • Most importantly, Rear dog leg (in front of the rear wheels) and lower section of rear doors. Most PPF suppliers will have a template for the lower section of the rear doors and the dog leg. The front tires will dispense debris and target this section, although you might not see "rock chips" at first, it will start to look like it is being sand blasted after about 10-20,000 mlles
These recommendations are coming from someone who drives their Tesla year-round in a climate that can literally break cars. And I lose 50% of my range while driving in -40 temperatures on streets that I won't see the pavement on for 4 months out of the year. The northern and northeastern parts of the US are brutal as well. Tesla's paint is NOT the most durable, so spend the few bucks now and protect it. Mike drop

I mean...the price is pretty comparable though. Not sure why it's only fair to compare output to output.

But yeah, this is a very different car, and no doubt superlative at what it's designed to do. As fast as the Plaid is, it still doesn't have the cachet, pedigree, or well roundedness (from a performance driving perspective) of a GT3. Then again, you could say exactly the opposite when it comes to ability to comfortably move people and luggage!

The price of a Range Rover Autobiography LWB is also pretty comparable. Would you compare the two? Of course not. I can also spec a 911 Carrera S well past the price of a Plaid by adding tons of options. But it’s “just” a Carrera S

A GT3 is not about power. It is about ultimate responsiveness for hard core street and track driving. They are sacrificing power for that responsiveness.

The Plaid is might impressive. And given its performance / dollar, nothing can keep up. Even my M3P smokes everything. $60k buys you a pretty basic M340i or C43 AMG. They don’t have a prayer.

Question for people that have had 21's in the past. If you blow the tire, and there is no spare, what has your experience been?
Does Tesla service come to you and have a real replacement? Is it just a spare? How much do they charge for the service? How long does it take them to arrive on average?
First time Tesla buyer here, now having 21 anxiety.

Question for people that have had 21's in the past. If you blow the tire, and there is no spare, what has your experience been?
Does Tesla service come to you and have a real replacement? Is it just a spare? How much do they charge for the service? How long does it take them to arrive on average?
I’ve had this happen on previous gen 21” arachnids. You call them, they send a truck with a wheel & tire on it, swap yours out, and bring it to the nearest SC for you to return to at your convenience. In my experience (twice), it takes them about 60-90 minutes to show up and 5 minutes to do the swap… the service itself is free, you just pay dealer price for the tire, mount, and balance.

Everyday I ask myself if I should change my 19s to 21s to get delivery sooner, though…

I had this problem early on with my Performance Y 21” Pirelli tires. I hit a pothole and suffered a blowout with around 1,000 miles on the car. I don’t have experience with Tesla Roadside because I just use AAA, but the problem was that Tesla didn’t have any replacement tires in stock and no tire stores such as Discount Tire etc. had a replacement. Therefore, my only option was to tow the car home and order a replacement from tire rack.com. I had the tire shipped overnight to a local installer, and then towed the car a second time the next morning to get it replaced. I was back on the road the next day, but it was a major ordeal.

edit: I much prefer @DukeofURL ‘s experience. I guess instead of calling Tesla to ask if they had tires in stock, I should have just gone with Tesla Roadside. 🤦‍♂️ Live and learn!

Last edited:
The price of a Range Rover Autobiography LWB is also pretty comparable. Would you compare the two? Of course not. I can also spec a 911 Carrera S well past the price of a Plaid by adding tons of options. But it’s “just” a Carrera S

A GT3 is not about power. It is about ultimate responsiveness for hard core street and track driving. They are sacrificing power for that responsiveness.

The Plaid is might impressive. And given its performance / dollar, nothing can keep up. Even my M3P smokes everything. $60k buys you a pretty basic M340i or C43 AMG. They don’t have a prayer.
I agree, however GT3s are not compromised on power. They are compromised in design. They push that flat 6 to hell and back to get 500hp. As the generations come and go, Porsche has to skim everything they can to make the car a top performer and they do. But the writing is on the wall, the GT3 will be left behind if they don’t crank more power from it. Aero, super sticky tires, pdk, huge brakes and RWS have kept it on top of the track lap times. But eventually they will need more power.

I can’t believe we reached a point where a four door, full size sedan is beating every exotic ever made in acceleration. The last place to hide now for ICE is on race tracks. Porsche better not fall asleep or even that will tip to EV.

This is an option that Tesla has decided to remove from every car model produced. It has nothing to do with it not being ready in time for the Model S launch. It is about optimizing efficiency across the fleet. This is something most Tesla buyers actually cared about, but the extreme performance of the P cars and now the Plaid has obviously attracted a new customer base that is much less concerned with efficiency.
We've seen at least one post here indicating that the plaid at least will get the option to toggle regen strength off and on.

We've seen at least one post here indicating that the plaid at least will get the option to toggle regen strength off and on.

It might only be tied to track mode but we don't have any specific information. Honestly, living in Chicago with an S for 5 winters, I've never reduced my regen. Regen is the best thing about EVs. It is not a safety issue unless you don't know how to drive. The biggest thing for winter is getting great winter tires (michelin X-ice3 is the best). I've got a winter set of wheels on the fake turbines (Rial Lugano) and I haven't replaced the winter tire set even with 25k miles. Michelin makes some great tires and combined with Tesla's drivetrain, it is flawless.

Drove through an upstate NY blizzard (kinda stupid) and it was no biggie other than had to go slow and I was literally plowing the highway as I was going west until the snow plows pulled in and helped me out (but slowed me down too).

FWIW, the front nose of the car is perfect for slicing accumulated snow down to about 5.5" and the snow just melted out of the car no worries at my supercharging stop.

If you look at Gabeincal’s YouTube flyover video for June 30, right at 8:26 he is flying over the “Tesla Fremont Temp Lot” and there were exactly 452 cars in that lot which may be all the undelivered Model S cars. Link is:
I think those are the same cars that have been there for a few months now (on several videos). I'm almost wondering if they produced them early on but are missing parts (chip shortage). They need to run them back through the assembly line perhaps? Just a thought...

Reactions: EndlessPlaid