Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strange. Seen videos on YouTube that showed you "wake up" the gear selector simply by pushing one of them. Then you push whichever one you want -- D, N, R, & P.
Yeah, that would make sense, but it doesn't work that way. I tried touching the buttons in/out of Park, in F, in R. Nothing.

Maybe it is supposed to work like you say and it is just flaky. The Hazard button always works though.

Not yet...I've been blank on everything for ~5 weeks, so just awesome to see something change. My SA doesn't even respond to my every other week email asking about status, but I'm sure text / email will follow soon...like in two weeks...
Mother trucker. I was hoping you got something to notify. Guess I'll be joining @HumanInput in refresh rehab (sounds like a Netflix show). This week on...

Tesla Survey
Tldr: Tesla and I need to go to therapy for communication issues. To wrap up...
Delays can happen. They do happen. It has happened. They are acceptable and common. Especially during a chip shortage.

What is not acceptable is leaving customers in the dark. Not allowing them access to information. Misleading them into having their credit pulled. Putting dates and removing them from profiles. Delivering cars to customers who ordered AFTER others (in some cases, way after).

If Tesla is to be successful, which we all hope they are, something needs to change. Communication needs to change. Policies on how customers GET information need to change. Believe it or not, if I want to get a hold of my Sales Advisor, I have to call the main line, get a hold of someone at a Call Center, put in a request to have my Sales Advisor call me and pray it gets through. That is no way to handle a customer experience. Tesla cannot rely on the “cool” factor of their car to keep customers in line. At some point in time, the experience will wear on people and it will reflect onto sales. Patience will run out and the games will hurt Tesla and not help.

I am a repeat customer. Not one time over, not even two times over. I have 9 Tesla’s attached to my account. 6 cars taken delivery in my family and 3 orders waiting to be filled. Yes, Tesla has me hooked. But if you think I am writing for my own benefit, you’d be wrong. I am writing on behalf of everyone, past, present and future customers. I am writing on behalf of Share Holders, investors, buyers, owners, explorers. If they all had the same experience I had, things do not bode well for Tesla.

I don’t expect a response. I actually expect this to be read, forwarded and filed away into some obscure folder never to be read again. I am not sure if that is wrong, right or just plain sad.

I hope things can change. In any relationship, communication is the hardest part. Ignoring is easy, but acknowledging there is an issue is the hard part. We are all in this together.

On behalf of myself, online customers, friends and family, we are open to change and we hope things can turn out better for both us and Tesla.

Sam

Edit: The deed is done.
Great memo with one suggested change - email or tweet directly to Elon.

Last edited:
Okay, so someone needs to come up with the remaining balance due. Maybe someone buying a $146-$157k vehicle and cannot afford to plunk down at least $50k shouldn't be buying such an expensive vehicle in the first place? When I purchased my 2019 Jag I-Pace HSE for > $92k, I did take a loan out which was subsequently paid off in 2 years, way early than the 5 year term...but my loan was like $46k.
Really depends on the individual circumstances. A business owner looking for max write off might prefer to borrow the full amount, and make higher payments. Especially with rates at 2%. Lightstream is good though for $100k or less.

Okay, so someone needs to come up with the remaining balance due. Maybe someone buying a $146k-$157k vehicle and cannot afford to plunk down at least $50k shouldn't be buying such an expensive vehicle in the first place? When I purchased my 2019 Jag I-Pace HSE for > $92k, I did take a loan out which was subsequently paid off in 2 years, way early than the 5 year term...but my loan was like $46k.
At the lower rates offered, I'd rather defer a large sum down and have my money work for me. The rate of return investing is higher than the loan/depreciation. My .02's. #thisistheway

Really depends on the individual circumstances. A business owner looking for max write off might prefer to borrow the full amount, and make higher payments. Especially with rates at 2%. Lightstream is good though for $100k or less.
And what would be the tax write off for a business owner to purchase such an expensive vehicle outright (even if titled to the individual and not the business name)?

• Helpful
Reactions: HumanInput
And what would be the tax write off for a business owner to purchase such an expensive vehicle outright (even if titled to the individual and not the business name)?
Actually, my bad. I was thinking higher lease payments are write offs.
I’m pretty sure if the car is purchased in an individual name but for business purposes, a percentage of depreciation can be written off each year.

Actually, my bad. I was thinking higher lease payments are write offs.
I’m pretty sure if the car is purchased in an individual name but for business purposes, a percentage of depreciation can be written off each year.
I know a lot of small business owners who like to lease their cars to get this kind of "better" tax write-off but personally, I don't like leasing cars even though I tend to get new cars every 2-4 years, lol. I typically put 18k+ mi/year on my car and I like doing whatever I want with the vehicle without worrying about "lease end" details such tire tread wear, mileage overage, etc.

I know a lot of small business owners who like to lease their cars to get this kind of "better" tax write-off but personally, I don't like leasing cars even though I tend to get new cars every 2-4 years, lol. I typically put 18k+ mi/year on my car and I like doing whatever I want with the vehicle without worrying about "lease end" details such tire tread wear, mileage overage, etc.
Same here, I haven’t leased a car in many years. I like having the freedom to flip if/when I want to flip. Also, don’t like hearing sh*t from people telling me how many miles I can/can’t drive each year 🖕
Edit: 2% = finance not lease (in many instances.)

Last edited:
Dameon said:
This may be the first car that I'm considering reading the manual. :D

Any thoughts on how to get the gear selectors below the charge pad to enable? I got it to come on a couple of times, but it doesn't seem to be a consistent method or I just don't remember the specifics.
This is pretty simple. Just press both Yoke scroll wheels simultaneously and quickly release.
@Kuzco said: I recall Omar having a similar experience with inconsistent PRND over-rides and commenting along the lines of “it’s not ready for prime-time yet”.
Add it to the growing list of items that will need to be fixed via OTA.
Activating the buttons is easy, but getting them to work consistently is a totally different issue. After you activate the buttons, they barely work or work sporadically with no rhyme or reason to why certain buttons sometimes respond.

Just heard back from SA when asked when can I get at-least a delivery estimate again on to the account. She basically said they have no idea of the production plan.

Anyone hearing anything else from the SA ? Specially for the vehicles with 19inch wheels ?
The overall consensus from a few people who probably know a little more than us, the 19” deliveries are expected to start end of July.

Yes, the car was in drag strip mode with cheetah stance enabled. The software is obviously limiting the car down low in the 0-30 range. It is a completely different sensation than my old Ludicrous car. The initial jolt off the line is noticeably weaker than my P90DL resulting in a 0-60 that is maybe 2/10ths of a second slower to 60. It definitely feels like it makes up for that loss higher up, because from 70-100 it continues to pull really hard where my P90 seemed to die off. I wouldn’t be surprised to find that they have similar 1/4 mile times. I’m hoping I can find a way to prove this later today. More Dragy results coming!
Can’t wait to see some updated results from your dragy! Please keep us posted. Also did you turn on insane mode? Or is it by default when you turn on the drag stop mode?

I don’t doubt that the LR could probably be close to as fast as a raven but they will software limit it to not eat plaid sales.

I give up with my Bugatti thing. Bugatti is supposed to be at the top of the food chain.

The fact Bugatti merged with Rimac is proof that Bugatti obviously believes that to stay at the top, the path is through electrification of their cars. Let’s be honest, Rimac has not much else but its technology to offer as they only sold and delivered 8 cars in its existence so far.
That's about 11 less than the 2020 Bugatti Veyron?

Several reasons, and none of them are because I'm conditioned by Tesla, I can assure you. It's no different than ICE cars range estimates (worse, actually), which I was already well aware are completely unusable. My previous Audi S5 sportback reported a range of 320 miles every single time I filled it up. Within 20 miles it was always down in the mid 200s. At best. Even if I literally drove it from gas station to gas station using nothing but highway while driving the rated speed, I would never get 320.

Tesla's rated range is even MORE inaccurate, because it doesn't factor parasitic power drain from things like sentry mode and summon quick start. Those are a significant factor in how much actual mileage you can get out of a car, especially if you mostly drive it around town. Add to that the variables like elevation change, wind direction, speed, traffic, temperature, and a whole host of others, and it just makes the rated range displayed when you charge the car completely useless. I get in the car and it says 300, but one day I could drive 20 miles and see 275 left, and the next it might show 265 left. It's just not useful.

The only way to get a useful measure of range is to plug in your destination and see how much battery/range the car estimates you'll have when you arrive. At least that factors some of the above, and can usually be mentally adjusted for things like driving speed (e.g. I know I'll never make the rated range because I typically drive 75-80 in a 70 zone).

I don't watch the battery meter either, tbh, but at least I find it useful to know what percentage I'm at relative to a full charge.

Regarding loss of miles, yeah, it's a factor, but not that much. Software version and season (temp) often have a much larger effect on rated range. I track mine with TeslaFi, but much like my ETF portfolio, I'm not checking it every day.
Actually we run several late model 5500 ram diesel trucks in our business and the DTE is accurate, you just reset it depending on load your hauling and it adjust based on past fuel usage. Not perfect, but pretty accurate. When fling up it adjust based on past driving to give you DTE miles.