Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the performance matters and you can ‘comfortably’ get the plaid, then I’d go for it. That said, if getting plaid is a bit of a stretch financially, then I’d definitely go LR..

Edit: I think we’ve all felt the same as you about Tesla. If you’ve never owned a Tesla, I’d hang in there. The cars are amazing 🥂
First time Tesla Owner (if they ever deliver my LR MSM 19") and I must say they have tested my patience since and EQS got me wavering a bit. I wanted to stick to LR $$ range and not got to Plaid and looks like EQS is much more expensive than a plaid. Will hang in there for a bit more. Still says August for me (I know for sure as I checked it 4,594,345 times already since April. o_O:p

Not a stretch by any means, nor am I rich, but, no matter how much money you have to spend on a car I think you have to be reasonable with it to get the best value for yo buck. I was full force Plaid but over the past month the hype has died and the waiting just made me not even want it anymore. Like my body is starting to reject wanting something I can’t have 😅😅. As if it’s protecting itself from unnecessary stress. Now I’m thinking if I switch to LR, I might have to wait even longer and then just give up all together.

I used to brag and hype up Tesla to my friends and family and now I honestly don’t even want to mention it because I feel like the disappointment it would bring to them, if they were to get one, would also poorly reflect on me.

If everyone was waiting in line to get something, that’s reasonable, let’s go down the line and get our sugar. But the nonsense selfish atrocious games Tesla has been playing, just puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Edit: and by “get one” I mean place a $100 order for the NFT art, and wait in uncertainty for several months or maybe a year to possibly get an actual car
I can relate to this. I was having a really hard time deciding between the LR and the Plaid early on. Now after the hype has gone down a little I certainly think the LR is a way better value. It’s still very fast, just seems slow because now we compare it to the plaid.

I drive in traffic 80% of the time so I’d rarely be able to utilize the paids power anyway and on public roads your asking for tickets.

Some people also just have to have the best or fastest model which is totally fine but the difference between the LR and the plaid you could basically get a LR and a M3P for the same price and that’s just too big of a spread for me. I absolutely would still love to get a plaid but you just have to ask if the price difference is worth it to you personally. I think it would be more tempting to get the plaid also if there was more differentiation like a special interior and body pieces.

Not a stretch by any means, nor am I rich, but, no matter how much money you have to spend on a car I think you have to be reasonable with it to get the best value for yo buck. I was full force Plaid but over the past month the hype has died and the waiting just made me not even want it anymore. Like my body is starting to reject wanting something I can’t have 😅😅. As if it’s protecting itself from unnecessary stress. Now I’m thinking if I switch to LR, I might have to wait even longer and then just give up all together.

I used to brag and hype up Tesla to my friends and family and now I honestly don’t even want to mention it because I feel like the disappointment it would bring to them, if they were to get one, would also poorly reflect on me.

If everyone was waiting in line to get something, that’s reasonable, let’s go down the line and get our sugar. But the nonsense selfish atrocious games Tesla has been playing, just puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Edit: and by “get one” I mean place a $100 order for the NFT art, and wait in uncertainty for several months or maybe a year to possibly get an actual car
I am in the same boat as you but the only difference is I have been with Tesla for a little over 3 years now, this is going to be my 4th one but man this is getting more and more frustrating especially when I see people getting their deliveries within a couple of weeks. Plaid might be an amazing car but a bunch of us can't even get our hands on it. Heck, I have not even seen one in person. Lack of communication is one thing but the company overall has been so focused on selling 3/Y that they don't give much of a *sugar* about the S/X. I mean it has been evident for quite some time. Just look at the tail lights in new model S. they're still the same old trashy ones instead of the updated ones in 3/Y. Not to mention they still couldn't even add curve adaptive headlights which is pathetic. Whenever they will introduce this feature, it'll probably end up in 3/Y first because **** people who want to pay twice the money to buy your high end product, makes perfect sense right? Also Refresh S got the heat pump after 3/Y too. Lol What is there to hype about Tesla anymore? Tesla now represents a stock that has been slowly dying for the last 5 months - down 30% (considering it was up 700% in 2020 this was sort of expected), FSB Beta is nowhere to be seen, Elon's promises and timelines are basically garbage and the lack of communication and misinformation from SAs is infuriating. Don't think there is any competition to them so I guess they will continue to do whatever shitty things they are doing right now for a foreseeable future

Last edited:
In fairness, Tesla is not the only company currently dealing with shortages and delays. However, I’m not giving them a pass for their horrible communication.
I totally understand your point but I’m probably a bit more tolerant only because this will be my 2nd Tesla. If you have the ability to meet up with folks from the forum who have taken delivery, that might help. If I get my car and you’re still waiting, happy for you to check out mine and take it for a rip. You have to come to NY though 🤣😂
I’m okay with shortages and delays. I can 100% understand that and can’t blame Tesla for it. But I’m 1000% not okay with people waiting since October and others ordering and getting their car within a week.

I’m starting to reconsider Plaid. I’m actually starting to reconsider getting a Tesla altogether but not as much as reconsidering getting Plaid vs LR. Extra 40k for one more motor of a car I might not get for the next who knows how many months just doesn’t sound as appealing anymore. I’ve already stopped watching videos and looking at pics, it just stirs up my disappointment in this company. Anyone have any input? Stick with Plaid because it’ll be “historical” or just do a reasonable thing and switch to LR?

With that being said there’s a chance I might just flake out all together and say **** Tesla. Get another new ICE car and ride it out for the next 5 years to see if Tesla gets their sugar together or someone else will make a competition product. At this point I have no investment into the EV world and all of the experiences so far have just been disappointing lol.
I can weigh in on this for you. I’m a performance guy and have always been into buying the fastest car I could find. I usually don’t pinch pennies and buy the highest spec model available, even if I need to get a car that is a year or two old to do so. I have owned BMW M cars, and multiple V-12 cars including an Audi A8 W12 and a BMW 760 V12.

I still have a white on white Plaid order sitting at Blank even though I took delivery of my LR MS on June 30th. I figured I would take delivery of the LR and see if I loved it. If the car left me wanting, I planned on selling the car to purchase the Plaid when my Blank Plaid finally gets a delivery date.

I do not find myself wanting more performance out of this car. The LR is a Performance Model S that does 0-100 mph in the upper 6 second range. This is essentially a P100D Ludicrous car that has a little of the bite in the 0-30 range software limited. When I floor this car at 60, I actually get a little bit of torque steer where I need to really grip the Yoke hard to maintain a straight trajectory. The thought of the Plaid actually scares me.

I think you need to be a singularly focused speed fanatic to appreciate the Plaid and / or a money is absolutely no object person that wants a Plaid simply because it is the best you can buy. There are not enough differentiating factors for me to drop an additional $40K on a Plaid.

When people on TMC forums found out I might be getting a plaid, I started getting DM’s from members asking me if I wanted to do “Mexico pulls up to 200 MPH” On public roads no less, so they could benchmark their Viper, Hellcat, C8 etc. This is when I realized this 40 something family man might not be the target market for this car.

I can relate to this. I was having a really hard time deciding between the LR and the Plaid early on. Now after the hype has gone down a little I certainly think the LR is a way better value. It’s still very fast, just seems slow because now we compare it to the plaid.

I drive in traffic 80% of the time so I’d rarely be able to utilize the paids power anyway and on public roads your asking for tickets.

Some people also just have to have the best or fastest model which is totally fine but the difference between the LR and the plaid you could basically get a LR and a M3P for the same price and that’s just too big of a spread for me. I absolutely would still love to get a plaid but you just have to ask if the price difference is worth it to you personally. I think it would be more tempting to get the plaid also if there was more differentiation like a special interior and body pieces.
Hey! Dont give them ideas until the LRs on orders are delivered, else they might start stripping interiors and body pieces from LR keeping plaid the same..... :oops:;-)

First time Tesla Owner (if they ever deliver my LR MSM 19") and I must say they have tested my patience since and EQS got me wavering a bit. I wanted to stick to LR $$ range and not got to Plaid and looks like EQS is much more expensive than a plaid. Will hang in there for a bit more. Still says August for me (I know for sure as I checked it 4,594,345 times already since April. o_O:p
Similar to my offer to @Ramphex, if I get my car and you’re still waiting, you’re welcome to check out mine. I just need the car and we’re good 👌😏.
It’s probably a good idea for first timers (on the fence) to try to meet up with a member who has taken delivery. It’s hard to get an accurate feeling of the car by simply watching videos and reading about it. Have to experience it. Hang in there..

I can weigh in on this for you. I’m a performance guy and have always been into buying the fastest car I could find. I usually don’t pinch pennies and buy the highest spec model available, even if I need to get a car that is a year or two old to do so. I have owned BMW M cars, and multiple V-12 cars including an Audi A8 W12 and a BMW 760 V12.

I still have a white on white Plaid order sitting at Blank even though I took delivery of my LR MS on June 30th. I figured I would take delivery of the LR and see if I loved it. If the car left me wanting, I planned on selling the car to purchase the Plaid when my Blank Plaid finally gets a delivery date.

I do not find myself wanting more performance out of this car. The LR is a Performance Model S that does 0-100 mph in the upper 6 second range. This is essentially a P100D Ludicrous car that has a little of the bite in the 0-30 range software limited. When I floor this car at 60, I actually get a little bit of torque steer where I need to really grip the Yoke hard to maintain a straight trajectory. The thought of the Plaid actually scares me.

I think you need to be a singularly focused speed fanatic to appreciate the Plaid and / or a money is absolutely no object person that wants a Plaid simply because it is the best you can buy. There are not enough differentiating factors for me to drop an additional $40K on a Plaid.

When people on TMC forums found out I might be getting a plaid, I started getting DM’s from members asking me if I wanted to do “Mexico pulls up to 200 MPH” On public roads no less, so they could benchmark their Viper, Hellcat, C8 etc. This is when I realized this 40 something family man might not be the target market for this car.
I think it was really smart of you to try out the LR. I personally think LR is definitely better value at this point. If you get to drive something akin to P100D with a refreshed interior then that's all that most people need. I am questioning my decision of Plaid at the moment. I wish Tesla would give more incentive to Plaid owners like free supercharging or something like that would be great but nope it just makes too much sense for Tesla to do it so they won't even consider it.

Quick update...

My LR is amazing! Some quick notes on my experience...

EVERYONE! I suggest you reboot your car prior to anything else! A lot of features were not working on the car until I rebooted the system! (Hold the brake, then press both scroll wheels at the same time.)

• It has three modes for speed: Chill, Sport, Insane. Sport is very similar to my Model 3 DM w/Acceleration Boost and preferable. I'm glad I did not get a Plaid. This thing is fast enough! (No offense to Plaid owners, I'm old!)
  • The turn signal buttons (for me) are really hard to get used to. I hit the turn signals by accident adjusting the volume knob.
  • The yoke steering was very easy to get used to.
  • There are some features that are missing that are being tracked in another thread here: Wiki - 2021 Refresh S - Missing/Incomplete Software Features
  • 2020 floor mats fit front and rear. 2020 Trunk and Frunk mats do not fit 2021.
  • Ventilated seats are great!
  • Still getting used to the air suspension and how it behaves on the "Auto" setting. Low is LOW watch the front lip on driveways!!
  • The tires on the arachnids are huge.
  • With my seat reclined where I like it (I'm 6' 2")there is no room in the back seat for adults.
  • I seriously doubt I will ever use the rear screen in the back seat. (no kids)

That's it for now. Thank you to everyone on this forum. I hope your wait will be over soon! The car is worth the wait!

Gotta tell you EVonly, your posts have flipping stoked to get this car. 🥲

That’s an excellent analysis of Plaid vs. LR. There really is little reason to get a Plaid over a LR unless $50k doesn’t matter to you and you have to have the fastest version. That being said, decades ago I realized when getting a car I regretted not getting the top model once, and haven’t made that mistake again. But there comes a point where the “second best” is so damn good that there’s less reason to get the next one, particularly when it’s $50k more. The only justification other than power is you move to the front of the production line. So there’s that…

Getting really tired of blank, so I decided to go in and edit my purchase page to a more appropriate name.

Capture.JPG

It’s not only Tesla with delays right now. Try walking into a Porsche dealership and getting a 911. They will laugh at you. Better yet go get a Kia Tellirude; you’ll be paying 5-10l over msrp. I don’t get what the big deal is. So many people on here keep saying they are going to cancel their car and Tesla is a big disappointment, yet they are still here. Most people will likely wait. The Model S refresh is the best car in it’s class and you can get it at msrp. Wait or move on. For those who are using this as a daily driver and sold their car early, that is their own fault. It is pretty stupid to sell a car before your new car comes. Those that really need a car asap and can’t live without one, buy something else. I went into this knowing there would be delays and struggles with production. Back when they announced the car I already expected it. Those that expected to get their car on time or early are just unrealistic fools. I don’t know how half of you get through life if you can’t even be patient for a damn car.

I own an aftermarket car parts company (not for teslas) and I would like to share my experience on the current environment of delays and shortages so hopefully everyone can understand a bit.

We all are aware of the havoc covid has had on supply chains and factory shut downs etc. and I’m sure you all are aware of various material shortages taking place.

I cannot express enough to you how crazy the world of car parts has been since around January. I have customers that ordered parts in Dec/Jan and they are still waiting. I try to update them the best I can but the problem is the manufacturers on the actual part also often have very little idea when it will actually be produced and shipped.

The order I mentioned above was for an exhaust system, what happened first is the manufacturer was backlogged due to the factory having to close for covid (basically a labor shortage) then once they reopened they started cranking them out as fast as possible. Well every other company did the same thing so they drained the raw materials very quickly. Now they have plenty of time and labor but there is a stainless steel shortage. Finally after the raw material arrives they produce it and send it on a boat. Well now everyone did that too, so now there is a jamb at the sea port with cargo ships sitting idle for weeks! Finally it arrives in the states and customs is backlogged so it takes a week longer to clear than usual.

So when a customer asks “why hasn’t my order shipped” or “why can’t you give me an eta” it’s because there are more factors out of our control right now then in our control.

Now imagine the above scenario compounded by thousands of parts which is what Tesla is dealing with. There is just zero chance that they can give you an accurate ETA unless all the parts are in hand ready to go because likely their manufacturers can’t give them a realistic ETA.

I’m just hoping this sheds some light on why it’s not realistic for Tesla to be able to give everyone ETAs. As far as the complaints about people getting their cars sooner than others. It is most likely the specific model/color/trim you chose that is either speeding it up or slowing it down. For example I might have a customer that’s been waiting on a red intake that is red for 6 months and you order a black one that happens to have just come in stock and it ships immediately.

TLDR: The car parts supply chain is so messed up that they have to choose between giving you an arbitrary date and moving it back a ton likely or just wait until it’s actually predictable.

Except we need more dragy times from @EVonly 😁
I would love to be able to provide a full 1/4 mile time, but finding a safe and suitable location is exceedingly difficult in Southern California. I don’t have access to any drag strips and finding an area that is flat and remote enough is next to impossible. I found one area and measured the slope and it generated an invalid Dragy result. Since the slope cannot exceed 1% and the trap speed will be approaching 125mph, it seems next to impossible outside of an actual drag strip. I can probably get some 1/8 mile times if that would help.