Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW:
One model s I had I plugged in to NEMA every night and woke up to a full charge.
Another I only used super chargers and wall outlet at home. Didn’t drive it a ton around town, used a lot for road trips.

Neither experienced any battery issue. The first car degraded maybe 8 miles or something after 3yrs. 2nd car maybe 4 miles after 2yrs. about the same mileage.

so the point, per this poster’s comments - any way you slice this you’ll be fine. Not worth a thought unless you’re into tracking this stuff for fun

Exactly!

When I bought my Model 3, I was so concerned about hurting the battery at first. The only real guidance you need is:

-Don't supercharge for daily needs
-Charge roughly to ~80% each night (some say 90% max, but 80% definitely is not going to hurt you)
-Don't constantly drive 100% to 0%.
-Don't let the car sit at 100% for days on end, try to drive it within an hour or two if hitting the mark (or, quite frankly, just charge to 95% max ever unless you really, really, really need that last 5% - which I bet you will almost never).

That's about it.

You're fine - enjoy the car, it's extremely unlikely you will ever put even 300 miles on it before needing to recharge anyway (including roadtrips - because of how superchargers are spread out). It's also extremely unlikely if your battery does degrade it will ever actually impact your life or usage of the car.

Again, asking because I do not know, but is 11kwh (48A) really charging fast for the batteries? Relative to supercharges, it seems pretty tame.
Many of us, including me, love to overcomplicate these things. Realistically, you don't need to worry much about home charging. Less or more does not make much difference. Many of us rarely use Superchargers, doing almost all charging at home. I use Superchargers on trips, otherwise I just plug the car in at home when I park. I tend to leave mine at around 50% if I am using the car locally, and tend to go to around 90% on trips, recharging when I drop to about 20%. Those practices used to be important util a few years ago. Tesla batteries are now so robust that most of those things don't really make much difference.

Congrats on your first first internet forum. You do realize that all of the "polite" forums are simply overly policed by moderators. It gives a false sense of pleasantry, but it is also the most dishonest experience you can ever find.
lets look at this logically... all we do here is bitch about not getting a VIN :) how positive would you be?

Exactly!

When I bought my Model 3, I was so concerned about hurting the battery at first. Literally, the only real guidance you need is:

-Don't supercharge for daily needs
-Charge roughly to ~80%
-Don't constantly drive 100% to 0%.

That's about it.
I watched a ton of videos on the ‘ideal’ charging habits. Several years ago, the rule of thumb was charge to 80%. And then it seemed to change from 80% to 90%. I’m not sure what’s better but I always charged to 90%.

Delivery Update: Pushed out a day - July 15-22

2d2db190947713b41863c2fd0f14e4c5--funny-photos-cute-cats-photos.jpeg

T
Relatively, sure. but remember DC goes direct as DC. AC has to be converted through your charger in your car. It is definitely more taxing for the car but not necessarily the battery. Then again, it is all relative. 90% of your charging will be at home. 11kwh isn't a ton so we're splitting hairs but definitely it is better for the pack to dump the least you need.

As @DukeofURL points out, I also time my charging sessions in winter to condition the battery. If it is set to 32A or higher, my battery usually finishes charging and then freezes before I drive again. Then my pack needs to heat itself up instead of using the thermal energy byproduct from charging to accomplish the pack conditioning. The nice thing about Teslas is that you have charging speed flexibility. Get your EVSE and wiring together where you can charge however fast at home makes you comfortable, but you'll soon see there is nothing to be gained from charging very quickly at home. In fact, you'll probably lose more in terms of time and enjoyment if you pace and charge only as fast as required. Your battery will be conditioned (big safety benefit in winter due to loss of regen braking and overall sluggishness (cold battery is both top end limited and regen limited)).

Either way, Tesla has you covered.

Thanks to @DukeofURL and @croman.. I would not have thought of the idea to time the charge to end in the morning to keep battery pre-warm for Chicago winters. Smart...

FWIW:
One model s I had I plugged in to NEMA every night and woke up to a full charge.
Another I only used super chargers and wall outlet at home. Didn’t drive it a ton around town, used a lot for road trips.

Neither experienced any battery issue. The first car degraded maybe 8 miles or something after 3yrs. 2nd car maybe 4 miles after 2yrs. about the same mileage.

so the point, per this poster’s comments - any way you slice this you’ll be fine. Not worth a thought unless you’re into tracking this stuff for fun

Thanks. Being my first EV, trying to just do it as stress free to my life as possible.

Our utility does not have time of day discounts. My garage never gets below 60F - even if -0F outside (except when the door is opened). I can set to condition prior to leaving while still plugged in. So far I charge to 86% every night. It stays on the charger while at home - even if just stopping by for a lunch.

Thanks. Being my first EV, trying to just do it as stress free to my life as possible.

Our utility does not have time of day discounts. My garage never gets below 60F - even if -0F outside (except when the door is opened). I can set to condition prior to leaving while still plugged in. So far I charge to 86% every night. It stays on the charger while at home - even if just stopping by for a lunch.

One last word of advice - don't watch the stupid estimated mileage meter. Over time, it gets less and less accurate actually. The better measure is how many kWh you are using and how that maps to the % of the battery (also keep in mind it does not factor in HVAC/sentry mode, BMS needs, vampire drain, etc.).

My Model 3 would constantly jump from 300 to 310 to 280 to 290, etc. miles of available range. It's the car's guestimate and if you don't charge to 100% each night, it actually sort of forgets there is more room to spare lol. There are a bazillion threads on it.

So, yeah, just enjoy the car, because unless you plan on owning it for 10 years, you can do whatever you want to it, really. And it's actually incredibly difficult to calculate degradation, which is why most people have no real clue until wayyy into ownership, (10 years and 100K+ miles) and they start to see some loss. But you're very unlikely to get there.

Quick thought/request: given that the new front brake rotors are 30mm (a little over an inch) larger than previous Model S, and seeing how much of the space within 21” wheels the front brake setup is taking, could it be that the 19” wheels had to be redesigned to have a wider inside barrel in order to fit the larger brakes?

Could someone who has already taken delivery (@omarsultan @Atomadam @Hayseed_MS etc.) please take a photo of their front wheel, fully showing the brakes, “eye-level” with the center of the wheel? Much appreciated!

New Model S Refresh LR charging issue update:

As I posted yesterday:
- Took delivery of new model S on 6/29
- Dropped off to be PPF’d and tinted on 6/30
- Picked up car yesterday 7/12 (looks incredible), quickly noticed notification that max charge has been lowered
- Got the car home and plugged it in. Charging would start and stop but ultimately wouldn’t take a charge
- Tried to set up a service appointment but earliest appointment was 7/20. Then requested to have car towed at which point an agent reached out to me.
- Was told by agent to bring car directly to service station in Tarrytown NY
- Was told primary diagnostic wasn’t able to determine the issue and that I would need to leave car with them.
- App this morning showed an expected completion date of 7/26. Was told last night by service agent that he would text me first thing this morning with an update. That never happened. I texted him and did not receive a response. Need to understand what happened to this car with less than 100 miles on it and still no answer. What ever it is, I am losing my new car with 2 weeks because they needed to order some part.

Will keep this group updated as this is obviously an issue with cars coming off the line.

It depends on location. If I lived in TX, FL, CA, then I would never switch from the PS4s. However, the PS4s could be sketchy in the cold NE winters.
You’re right. Not just sketchy - period I wouldn’t drive them on snowice. That’s just me tho. AWD + PS4 isn’t undrivable in snow/ice (rwd another story, I attempted the old model PSS’ in a C63 on ice/snow once and the car literally didn’t move). Dry and wet - unbeatable street tire. Ice/snow in the picture? I’d get the AS4’s. Frequent ice/snow like a whole season of it, I’d get a proper winter tire setup, personally.

New Model S Refresh LR charging issue update:

As I posted yesterday:
- Took delivery of new model S on 6/29
- Dropped off to be PPF’d and tinted on 6/30
- Picked up car yesterday 7/12 (looks incredible), quickly noticed notification that max charge has been lowered
- Got the car home and plugged it in. Charging would start and stop but ultimately wouldn’t take a charge
- Tried to set up a service appointment but earliest appointment was 7/20. Then requested to have car towed at which point an agent reached out to me.
- Was told by agent to bring car directly to service station in Tarrytown NY
- Was told primary diagnostic wasn’t able to determine the issue and that I would need to leave car with them.
- App this morning showed an expected completion date of 7/26. Was told last night by service agent that he would text me first thing this morning with an update. That never happened. I texted him and did not receive a response. Need to understand what happened to this car with less than 100 miles on it and still no answer. What ever it is, I am losing my new car with 2 weeks because they needed to order some part.

Will keep this group updated as this is obviously an issue with cars coming off the line.
Update, just heard from service center and car needs a new battery. Will take about a week or two to get back. Kind of scary that a battery failed on a new car with less than 100 miles on it.

It is a crazy process. 2/8 order and I just can’t wrap my head around how they can deliver cars out of order like that. What I the point in giving an order if you as an organization are not going to follow that order.
Have they ever announced that a registration number means there's an "order" ??? I do not believe I've been led to expect that we're all in a single-file line and I get the option of a car before anyone who has a higher RN. Especially if some parts of the car I want do not yet exist, LOL.

The fun part, for me, is watching others who think they have their sugar together go off the deep end because they're not getting their new toys fast enough. Meanwhile, I savor the fact that my LR is getting better and better before they even build it!