Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 684818View attachment 684820
Delivered to the door today - they wanted to hold up delivery till this “major” scuff was repaired. I told Tesla that I gave them my cash, sent my title, and swapped insurance and that I could not wait two weeks for a piece of trim when I felt kind of exposed having gone through all the Texas paperwork. They finally agreed and here she is.
I would have accepted it also! But, I applaud them wanting to address it.

One of the cops I was working with said the best thing you can do is try and lower the energy level if you are ever pulled over--makes for a better outcome for everyone. Lower you window, turn on the interior light and wait with your hands visible on the wheel. It was a good lesson and one I passed on to my son.
I’ve been doing this for decades specifically because it’s not hard to have empathy for LEO. Every stop has the potential to be dangerous…anything I can do to lower the stress is helpful. Windows down, engine off, hands on the top of the steering wheel holding my drivers license with both hands so it is clear to the officer as he approaches.

I learned a long time ago to put my hands not the top of the door (window open of course).

Several cops have walked up and asked why I did it and the answer is simple. You do not know me. I do not know you. I've done something we need to talk about and the last thing I want is you worrying about my hands. The conversations normally go quite well after that :)

So, I don't see Tesla sending out the improved wheels, tires and upgrading software for all early Plaid buyers, do they just get the shaft or will the cars 200 mph top speed be reduced and no new wheels and tires ever produced?

Maybe that will be the Plaid + :)
The 200mph wheels will be an option, available in the fall. Search for "ZeroG" wheels to see the outline of what they'll look like from the outline in the parts catalog.

So, I don't see Tesla sending out the improved wheels, tires and upgrading software for all early Plaid buyers, do they just get the shaft or will the cars 200 mph top speed be reduced and no new wheels and tires ever produced?

Maybe that will be the Plaid + :)
I am speculating but I think this will be the Zero-G 20" tires that was listed in the parts catalog that has a 315 tire spec listed for the rear. I'm assuming it will be a wheel+tire combo available via online shop and installed at SC who will then software unlock the 200mph as well.

The roof glass has the markings for a roof rack like the one available for the earlier models, so I would guess one is in the works. I have always been a bit leery of the seersucker type approach for the glass roof as I'm not sure if it was designed to deal with forces in that direction, but that might be completely unfounded.
Shouldn't last years roof racks fit the new S?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Something I find strange is that under features for the Plaid, Top Speed 200mph has a subnote.

*The indicated Plaid top speed requires proper wheels and tires which will be available in Fall 2021.*

Does this mean early models will be limited due to wheels and tires not up to par?

Actually, this article and a couple others I have seen, points to the fact the Arachnids, and the ZeroG wheels will both be capable of 200 mph. The Arachnid-equipped cars are supposed to be able to do 200 via SW update:

Actually, this article and a couple others I have seen, points to the fact the Arachnids, and the ZeroG wheels will both be capable of 200 mph. The Arachnid-equipped cars are supposed to be able to do 200 via SW update:

Also, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires on the Arachnids are '(y)' rated, which AFAIK, means that the tires are rated to exceed 186mph.

Agreed, so why the subnote from Tesla?

*The indicated Plaid top speed requires proper wheels and tires which will be available in Fall 2021.*
Most likely, either MT misunderstood, which believe it or not, I actually doubt, or the Monkey that runs the Tesla webpages screwed up lol, and it was supposed to say:
*The indicated Plaid top speed requires an over-the-air software update, which will be available in Fall 2021.*

The reason that I believe MT, is that they confront this footnote in their article, and they also state Tesla said that these wheels have been recently validated at 200mph.

My personal guess is not that the webmaster messed it up, but rather that Tesla had simply not validated these wheels and tires at 200mph in January, and that they haven't gotten around to updating the website yet.

Most likely, either MT misunderstood, which believe it or not, I actually doubt, or the Monkey that runs the Tesla webpages screwed up lol, and it was supposed to say:
*The indicated Plaid top speed requires a over-the-air software update, which will be available in Fall 2021.*

The reason that I believe MT, is that they confront this footnote in their article, and they also state Tesla said that these wheels have been recently validated at 200mph.
My personal guess, is not that the webmaster messed it up, but rather that Tesla had simply not validated these wheels and tires at 200mph in January, and that they haven't gotten around to updating the website yet.
Judging by the amount of confusion they seem to have thought the organization, you may be correct on not updating the website.

Baffles me as a first time Tesla buyer that with all the communication, paint, trim, etc problems that everyone reports it scares me that this same lack of attention to detail is just as bad in motors, drive train, software, etc. Just looking at the overhead drone footage, makes me wonder how unorganized they are. They need a modern day "Henry Ford" to organize their assembly process!

Judging by the amount of confusion they seem to have thought the organization, you may be correct on not updating the website.

Baffles me as a first time Tesla buyer that with all the communication, paint, trim, etc problems that everyone reports it scares me that this same lack of attention to detail is just as bad in motors, drive train, software, etc. Just looking at the overhead drone footage, makes me wonder how unorganized they are. They need a modern day "Henry Ford" to organize their assembly process!
Yep! I bet that soon enough, that footnote will change.

Reactions: Ormond and Ramphex