Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My delivery appointment is still set at 7/26 at my local delivery center. Hasn't been pushed back but who knows, my car is in transit to them from Fremont now. My old CEO had his Plaid delivery held at the Scottsdale/PHX location for "an unknown software hold" also... I just wasn't sure if this was related to just the plaids or all model S's - as my mine is LR. Does anyone have a delivery hold on a LR?
I was at the VA(Glen Allen) Delivery Center this weekend. Someone was taking delivery of a Plaid as I chatted with the SA about wall chargers... So Plaids are still going out, so who knows the randomness associated with this "Hold"...

I’d be ok with a play by play of the delivery, if you could.

We support you.
A) If you take delivery, we will despise you (pure jealousy of course)
B) If you are bumped and don’t take delivery, you’re nothing but a VIN to us.
Good luck.
Hahah! Well, it's T - 7 and still no calls or any updates from the delivery center

Something is going on with Tesla but they are not communicative like always. I hope it's a software issue and they send an update to unlock all the refresh S features. Fingers crossed.
Agree it definitely sounds like something is going on. I had my delivery scheduled for tomorrow and I just got a text saying it was delayed due to ”factory quality team has asked us to inspect and test specific items on your vehicle”. No timing on how long or what issues are.

Agree it definitely sounds like something is going on. I had my delivery scheduled for tomorrow and I just got a text saying it was delayed due to ”factory quality team has asked us to inspect and test specific items on your vehicle”. No timing on how long or what issues are.
As Tesla regularly does OTA updates, it would be easy to speculate that this is something significant to delay deliveries.

Has anyone in Texas that has had their car delivered received the registration pack from Tesla? My LR was delivered June 29th and the delivery rep said I should see paperwork via FedEx within two weeks. That has not happened so far. Any advice?
FWIW I took delivery of my MYLR on 6/25 and still haven't received the packet lol but I think FedEx says it should be here tomorrow finally. Talking a bout a tight window before having to pay the late fees.

Hahah! Well, it's T - 7 and still no calls or any updates from the delivery center
So it's T+22 no signs. But I just called Tesla and they talked to the local delivery team, said that the vehicle is not quite ready but should be ready before noon today. Will keep you guys posted, if I survived all of these ups/downs delivery day anxieties...

As Tesla regularly does OTA updates, it would be easy to speculate that this is something significant to delay deliveries.
I fully agree. I am purely speculating either: 1) confirming features working with substitute chips (my pure speculation), and/or 2) making sure no unique circumstances that could cause a fire (that whole thing seems fishy to me, no info from NHTSC as far as I know - if real wouldn't every new S be recalled, and NO deliveries at all? The fact that there are SOME deliveries still, tells me there were substitute parts, or maybe something changed on the assembly line (new method, new variance/gap, etc.)
if it was merely software for secondary features (ANC, etc.) those bad boys would go out the door. Instead, something more serious is going on. Could be something simple, like a defective batch of zip ties somewhere and they want to replace (maybe at the SC level) before these cars are in the wild, but I'd love to know what the hard stop is about.

I fully agree. I am purely speculating either: 1) confirming features working with substitute chips (my pure speculation), and/or 2) making sure no unique circumstances that could cause a fire (that whole thing seems fishy to me, no info from NHTSC as far as I know - if real wouldn't every new S be recalled, and NO deliveries at all? The fact that there are SOME deliveries still, tells me there were substitute parts, or maybe something changed on the assembly line (new method, new variance/gap, etc.)
if it was merely software for secondary features (ANC, etc.) those bad boys would go out the door. Instead, something more serious is going on. Could be something simple, like a defective batch of zip ties somewhere and they want to replace (maybe at the SC level) before these cars are in the wild, but I'd love to know what the hard stop is about.
Agreed, something more serious might be at play here.

Totally agreed. If it was just a software update, there'd be no way they would hold up delivery. Gotta be either something serious or, like you said, some batches have new method/hardware substitutions, and they wanted to test/validate. You'd think they wouldn't assigned the VIN and play with customers' hearts like this, but it's Tesla, and we all know they're the expert at that :)

I agree with you. I don't think we will see our cars until December. Knowing Tesla they won't ever be able to get their *sugar* together in a timely manner. Elon is getting roasted on Twitter and in media in general for his FSD promises. Even r/teslamotors is pissy at him but you can't blame them. At this point I have spent close to 25k on FSD on my 3 cars and have yet to see even FSD beta (like many others). The stock has been consistently bleeding for the last 6 months too. Tesla has been garbage lately, damn!

It is actually pretty sad. @elonmusk himself thinks, at least part of FSD, is a joke:

Last edited:
FWIW, and this may be old news already, the updated FSD apparently won't work with the 2016 to 2019 Teslas unless they shell out $1,500 for an updated or upgraded FSD computer.
I think they're going to find themselves on the wrong side of a class action lawsuit, as there was so much stuff put out there, like "all Teslas from X (2016?) and upwards are capable of FSD...."
my prediction - the computer may actually cost Tesla say, 1/2 or $750. I think they'll have to eat it for anyone who has or wants an FSD subscription.
Just my .02, but that is going to look ugly on the balance sheet.
I don't know what percentage get FSD, so if only 20% then not quite as bad. However, with the new subscription model, someone with a 2016 who wouldn't shell out the $10k might very well shell out the $200 to try out for the month. so that would cost Tesla in my speculative math $550 for one month. Maybe they'll require a minimum of 4 months with the subscription if they need to add the computer. that makes sense to me.
still, kinda slimy.
Right thing - need upgraded computer. we said capable of FSD. come in and we'll upgrade. Done. Not sure the Tesla monkey is fair though.