Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it’s worth, I have been lucky to be assigned a highly responsive SA. He does not have most of the answers (probably only Elon does) but does follow up and respond in a timely manner.
I received a text from my SA telling me they are my SA. I then received another unsolicited text from my SA telling me they don't know anything about my car. That is the only communication they have provided since April.

I received a text from my SA telling me they are my SA. I then received another unsolicited text from my SA telling me they don't know anything about my car. That is the only communication they have provided since April.
So what you're saying is that they've been completely honest with you.

FYI for any lurkers in Central VA..... 3 MSLR (2 Black, 1 MSM) all with Black interior, Arachnids were in the lot. They were not there yesterday morning. Vin on MSM was 435xxx. I have the luxury of driving by a few times a week for work/kids events, so easy to see if there is new inventory or a truck hanging out.
Nice. I would make the trip up to get a test drive in one of them. Wonder if/when they will start allowing that

• Love
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Yes. The issue with the 19" wheels is that they don't produce the same profit as the 21". So why bother delivering 19" wheels when you can deliver 21" wheels!
Hi @sam3194, I have way too much respect for you to downvote your comment, but that is rather cynical, don't you think? Yes, we all have the right to be cynical after what we're going though. But FSD must be the most profitable item they have and yet they allow it to be removed while taking delivery.

There also isn't a demonstrated preference for prioritizing FSD ahead of non-FSD cars.
The evidence I have for this is the tracking spreadsheet:

It shows that 48.2% of all MS orders on the sheet have FSD ordered (pie chart isn't up to date). 55.6% (15/27) of the cars delivered have FSD, which is not statistically different. If 13/27 had been delivered with FSD it would have been 48.1%. So there is not a large enough sample size to reach a conclusion. The 21" wheels on the other hand do have a cost, so don't contribute nearly as much to the bottom line as FSD would. They couldn't have prioritized FSD ahead of non-FSD in a significant way that would have been much more impactful, but have chosen not to.

The most likely reason for the 19" wheel issue is what we all witnessed on this thread, the silver Tempest wheels were a complete mismatch for the non-chrome effect on the car. It seems to me to have been an oversight that was likely brought to Elon's attention at the 11th hour. He likely made the call to deliver good looking cars later rather than ugly cars sooner. I think we are all better off for that decision. I would have taken the silver Tempest wheels and been unhappy about it. Thank you Tesla for making the change and doing it right!

Other evidence for this being a last minute Elon decision is the delivery event. Here is a shot from @gabeincal's flyover prior to the event with 3 silver Tempest wheeled Plaid's ready for delivery. It appears they were given 21's in their place.
Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 10.54.16 AM.png

Hi @sam3194, I have way too much respect for you to downvote your comment, but that is rather cynical, don't you think? Yes, we all have the right to be cynical after what we're going though. But FSD must be the most profitable item they have and yet they allow it to be removed while taking delivery.

There also isn't a demonstrated preference for prioritizing FSD ahead of non-FSD cars.

It shows that 48.2% of all MS orders on the sheet have FSD ordered (pie chart isn't up to date). 55.6% (15/27) of the cars delivered have FSD, which is not statistically different. If 13/27 had been delivered with FSD it would have been 48.1%. So there is not a large enough sample size to reach a conclusion. The 21" wheels on the other hand do have a cost, so don't contribute nearly as much to the bottom line as FSD would. They couldn't have prioritized FSD ahead of non-FSD in a significant way that would have been much more impactful, but have chosen not to.

The most likely reason for the 19" wheel issue is what we all witnessed on this thread, the silver Tempest wheels were a complete mismatch for the non-chrome effect on the car. It seems to me to have been an oversight that was likely brought to Elon's attention at the 11th hour. He likely made the call to deliver good looking cars later rather than ugly cars sooner. I think we are all better off for that decision. I would have taken the silver Tempest wheels and been unhappy about it. Thank you Tesla for making the change and doing it right!

Other evidence for this being a last minute Elon decision is the delivery event. Here is a shot from @gabeincal's flyover prior to the event with 3 silver Tempest wheeled Plaid's ready for delivery. It appears they were given 21's in their place.
View attachment 686248
A reasonable theory regarding Elon's last-minute decision-making... it certainly fits his track record. ;)

Well I officially know one of the cars just sitting there at Fremont is mine. SA replied to my inquiry on where my car is specifically, seems to think that it will get to the delivery center on August 3rd. I sure hope he is right, but last week he claimed July 27th at latest. I can only hope that it's still there due to the mysterious delivery hold reason.

I am a patient man, I could wait till December for this lovely car and my 75D will hold me over. However my bank is neither patient nor man and this loan offer expires on the 21st.

If you think about how much fuel went into SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket recently (75k gallons), that is about 188 cars worth of fuel for a year at 12k miles a year at 30 Mpg. Kinda negates a decent amount of what Elon is trying to do.

So looking at it from a perspective of Elon trying to save the planet, it’s awesome what he is doing, but holy fossil fuel Batman. I think I’m agreeing with you.
Falcon fuel is used to help us on our journey to become multiplanetary--that's arguably a worthwhile reason to dump GHG's.

Buying an ICE vehicle because someone is wilfully ignorant, or just stupid, is NOT a worthwhile reason.

Everyone should know the difference . . . .

View attachment 686248
I will just leave you with this, from one of his posts after the one you quoted:
Should have put a /s at the end of my post.

View attachment 686248
They were there on Sunday also when I drove by. Puzzling...
I wonder if those cars on the temp lot still have a charge. I’m new to this But I don’t want a car w a battery already beat down from improper care
hmmmm

Can we please keep this thread to incessant whining about where our cars are? I feel more comfortable this way.

Because everyone cares, my order just updated from "July" to "Estimated Delivery: July 23 - August 06".

Haha. Nice one, Tesla. Keep your filthy lies to yourself!
Whether we're all in this "together" or we're all in this "to get her", we are all in this to get our amazing alien-tech cars! ;)

It does seem interesting and ironic that this thread is about delivery issues.

A recent inflammatory condition in this thread is specifically related to delivery. (written)

Welcome to the class of those that actually comprehend what they read and have an ability to introspect upon their toxic communication methods.

OR continue to provide non-sequitur discussion pathways not related to the presented issue at hand.

Cheers

View attachment 686248
Wow--great eyes/memory. Yup the car at the bottom of the top circle is mine and I can confirm from my pics that the black car next to had its wheels swapped for arachnids before the event.

View attachment 686248
He was being sarcastic. This is by far the most detailed response I have ever seen to a misinterpreted post. 🤣