Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright guys. Finished the "twitter paper thing" as everyone who has been messaging me called it. Going to be posting on Twitter at 4pm and Sawyer Merritt will be Retweeting. Going to get A LOT of hate... From my friends and family, so feel free to like the Tweet to help me out at home! :)

If anyone else still wants to get in, just asking for your first full name and last initial along with the first 6 digits of your RN.
If not too late, please add me too! Adam F. RN11466

Thank you for doing this.

Well...it looks like my SA is no longer with the company. Phone is disconnected. I wonder how long he has been missing for....

No one new assigned either so all my questions about upgrading to Plaid just went into a black hole. This company makes it so hard to give them money.
Call your local SC and tell them that. They will assign a new useless person for you :)

I was getting timeframe from July 17th, your car would be already built but just waiting for ok sign from factory side inspection(SA told me there's an inspection before they assign the VIN and that's why there's an about weekly gab between built date and VIN assignment date.
Wow, that seems incredible (as in somewhat unbelievable). I know just a little bit about how products (including cars) are manufactured and the VIN is typically assigned at 'birth' by which all parts installed in the car are then associated to that VIN. That is how recalls work. This would mean that Tesla, unlike others, use another type of serial number during manufacturing and then assign a VIN once the vehicle is inspected ? Makes no sense however, as a first time buyer I am learning that..... thinks in Teslaland make no sense :)

Wow, that seems incredible (as in somewhat unbelievable). I know just a little bit about how products (including cars) are manufactured and the VIN is typically assigned at 'birth' by which all parts installed in the car are then associated to that VIN. That is how recalls work. This would mean that Tesla, unlike others, use another type of serial number during manufacturing and then assign a VIN once the vehicle is inspected ? Makes no sense however, as a first time buyer I am learning that..... thinks in Teslaland make no sense :)
No, the car's VIN stays same. VIN assignment there means designation of car to specific customer

No, the car's VIN stays same. VIN assignment there means designation of car to specific customer
OK that makes sense.... still contrary to what my SA said way back that a VIN is assigned and communicated when entering production which gives about ten days for production and shipping to the local delivery shop. It was only when I asked him what happened if I was out of town when it showed up and he said 'we will hold it for up to three days and then give it away' that I laughed out loud but relinquished to my boyish desires for the car..... and said thank you.....

This👆 is absolutely true. Tesla would never downgrade the car to make it cheaper or something because the new MS is actually already cheaper to produce than the pre-refresh, but they will always be making it different in a good way. For example, if you were to take delivery in February of 2022 with Arachnids, it's likely that your could would come with the 200 mph top speed if it was a Plaid, and would likely have panel gaps in check, along with ANC turned on already, possibly Track Mode, and maybe even some power boosts to improve performance.
I respectfully disagree.
Where is the 3 or Y's radar module or passenger lumbar support?
If Tesla is able to produce the "same" car for less, would it lower the price? I dunno. I think their pricing has to do with demand, and possibly increased pricing based on increased material's cost - but if those costs decreased I'm not sure they'd lower the pricing. They may also (at some point) feel pressure from the other EV brands.

When I ordered BMWs I believe I had a build number which was different from my VIN.

What a petty human being... I disagree with the content he posted on this thread, he finds random posts of mine to disagree with from random threads elsewhere on the forum.

Knock yourself out @Ramphex 🤡 I have 2531 more posts that you've missed.
1627506025223.png

I've had a VIN assigned for over a week, but with a date range of Aug 2-8. So today I called to see if I get a more accurate estimate since they should know where my car is. They set up a delivery time for me, so I'm good to go. Picking up my Plaid on my Birthday next week. Also for anyone interested, Safeco quoted me $1600/yr to insure it. I've seen others on here get quoted better, but also seen some crazy high quotes as well. Just throwing it out there for others to compare.

I respectfully disagree.
If Tesla is able to produce the "same" car for less, would it lower the price? I dunno. I think their pricing has to do with demand, and possibly increased pricing based on increased material's cost - but if those costs decreased I'm not sure they'd lower the pricing. They may also (at some point) feel pressure from the other EV brands.
The radar module is required for the next-gen of autopilot, so it's a plus IMO. Lumbar was a bummer for sure, but nothing affecting the main car, and it didn't make it 'worse' performing car. Not their best decision, but nothing outside of the small stuff Tesla usually does. Remember, Tesla, like any other company, hates bad press. The lumbar removal was actually called 'Lumbar-gate', it was so bad.

Regarding price, it is definitely demand/shortage driven. The original price increases from the pre-refreshed were mostly due to the hundreds of millions of dollars spent on R&D. I think personally Tesla will eventually lower their prices once they can meet demand, and the shortages are gone. They've gotten quite a bit a press by raising prices like they have.

Reactions: cwanja and T-Racer
I respectfully disagree.
3 years ago they did lower the price for the Model3 Performance. I remember the 3P would come at ~90kcan$. The AWD was 70kcan$. Because we had an incentive for cars under 75k$ I bought the AWD. Figuring the 3P wasn't worth the 20k$+8k$ incentive difference.

Long story short the 3P is now 74kcan$, the AWD is now 64kcan$. So yes Tesla lowers the prices. That's one thing that actually freaks me out a bit about my Plaid order. I'd hate to have Tesla lower the price of the Plaid by 20-30kcan$ in a few months. But with the current economy and brewing inflation, I think the prices are more likely to go up. 🤷‍♂️

What a petty human being... I disagree with the content he posted on this thread, he finds random posts of mine to disagree with from random threads elsewhere on the forum.

Knock yourself out @Ramphex 🤡 I have 2531 more posts that you've missed.
View attachment 689243
not a chance I was looking into FSD stuff right, nahhhh not at all

Edit: were you having some guilty conscience?

For California folks, I hope you find this info helpful. Last Friday, I was assigned a VIN and an EDD that spanned 3 days that slid to the right each day that passed. I called the Santa Barbara service center and they explained the process to me.

1. Once a VIN is assigned, it's finalizing production and waiting for transport. This can be 24 hours - 1 week and on a rare occasion longer.
2. Once it's on it's way to the service center, I will receive a text stating I have 3 days to pickup the car.

Also, since it's been more than 4 months since I put my order in, my loan approval had expired. The SA noted this as well and asked if he could send it through again. Given I had a VIN, I thought it was safe to do so. I received and email to confirm I wanted to process a loan pre-approval again. All my data was already there, so just needed to approve.