Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke with an electrician about this. It’s not the mobile charger more the pins on the NEMA 14-50 socket. They are not designed to have plugs in and out multiple times a day and can wear.

I guess it depends on whether you take your mobile charger with you on every trip. Before we had our wall chargers I actually forgot my mobile charger when I was on a road trip and that’s a real pain if needed.
In five years of driving my Model S, I can’t recall the last time I brought my mobile connector with me. So many superchargers out there now, along with third party chargers.

I’m actually curious about how often anyone uses their mobile charger on the road. Going on 3 years and never been far enough from a supercharger to bother to even carry it. The odds of poor planning leading to an emergency charge that ends with me finding only a mobile home park or outside power plug to continue is pretty slim.
Going away to a rental cottage here in Canadian winter is a great example. There aren’t any superchargers once you leave the highway and the drive to cottage country in the snow really zaps the charge. It’s prudent to have your mobile charger with you to make sure you can get back to the highway. In an AirBnB rental I once had to run my extension cable from a rear window out to charge the car (slowly in the winter on 120v) to ensure I could get back home. No amount of planning would have changed that scenario unfortunately.

Actually, you are not putting anything on the wall. Just plug in mobile charger, hook up the 14-50 adapter at the business end of the charger and you are good to go! Having said that, all personal preference and if you have endless supply of $$, then why not!
The purpose of my question was to find out if there are any technical benefits of a wall charger over a mobile charger, which currently charges 20 mph for me. Aesthetically, the wall charger does look cool!
Just charging rate. The mobile is limited to 32 amps at 240 volts vs the wall charger which will go to 48 amps at 240 volts.

Update on my 19" Chicago, Red, Black/Wood Plaid order:

7/30 and before: blank
7/31 August 11th - 25th
8/1 August 12th - 25th
8/2 August 13th - 25th
8/3: August 14th - 25th

Today: August 15th - 24th

We're down to a 9 day window
I got 19s too with similar date ranges but a few people here saying we will go blank soon so I dunno any more

For all the people that had their cars trained down to Chicago... How long did they sit there before they were trucked to destination?
A better question might be how does one even get his/her car on a train to Chicago? I've had a VIN for two weeks now and my SA confirmed with Tesla logistics this morning that my car is still sitting at the factory.

A better question might be how does one even get his/her car on a train to Chicago? I've had a VIN for two weeks now and my SA confirmed with Tesla logistics this morning that my car is still sitting at the factory.
Mine sat at factory for over a week. Been sitting in chicago for 4 days or so now. Im only 8 hours away from chicago :(

I’m actually curious about how often anyone uses their mobile charger on the road. Going on 3 years and never been far enough from a supercharger to bother to even carry it. The odds of poor planning leading to an emergency charge that ends with me finding only a mobile home park or outside power plug to continue is pretty slim.
We use it quite a bit.. recently we rented an AirBNB up in the mountains to sled and play in the snow. I made an extension and plugged into a dryer outlet to fully charge every night. Works great to fuel for free. And never received any complaints from the people renting. Lol.

Okay gents, it's been good hanging out with you for a couple of months but I'm done. I had planned to buy this car to replace my 3 and let my son drive the 3 as his car when he gets his license next week given how crazy the used car market is and the safety of the 3. At this point, I'm getting an October EDD for my 19" white interior and I frankly think that's probably optimistic from all I've seen.

I'm not complaining, just offering another data point that delays sometimes do lead to cancelled orders. I'll put another few years on my 3, which I've had since May 2018, and maybe get an S on the next refresh cycle or maybe I'll get a cool-ass Rivian, who knows.

word today (from someone higher than an SA) is that 19's are currently not being produced. This source has been highly reliable in the past. I'd be shocked to see any 19's within the next week (probably longer) anywhere.
Does that mean the "wheels" themselves are not currently being produced?? Or are they just holding the build for the S with 19s??

I spoke with an electrician about this. It’s not the mobile charger more the pins on the NEMA 14-50 socket. They are not designed to have plugs in and out multiple times a day and can wear.

I guess it depends on whether you take your mobile charger with you on every trip. Before we had our wall chargers I actually forgot my mobile charger when I was on a road trip and that’s a real pain if needed.

You can purchase "industrial"/commercial/heavy duty 14-50 outlets that are designed to be unplugged often. It's still a wear item, but will last a good couple thousand plug cycles versus the dryer outlets they sell at home depot which wear out in 3-500 unplug cycles.

Going away to a rental cottage here in Canadian winter is a great example. There aren’t any superchargers once you leave the highway and the drive to cottage country in the snow really zaps the charge. It’s prudent to have your mobile charger with you to make sure you can get back to the highway. In an AirBnB rental I once had to run my extension cable from a rear window out to charge the car (slowly in the winter on 120v) to ensure I could get back home. No amount of planning would have changed that scenario unfortunately.

We use it quite a bit.. recently we rented an AirBNB up in the mountains to sled and play in the snow. I made an extension and plugged into a dryer outlet to fully charge every night. Works great to fuel for free. And never received any complaints from the people renting. Lol.
Yes, those are two very good use cases for the mobile charger.

You'll get another text in September telling you now your vehicle is scheduled for October 😂
If I do not miss my guess, I believe this is probably a push on the availability of the 19s. This likely means all of the 19" configurations with August dates might bounce. For everyone's sake I hope not.

I am glad they finally texted. Far worse to suffer in silence.