Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else have a loud clunk sometimes when the car locks? Wonder if that's normal, or indicative of an issue? Doesn't happen all the time, but maybe like 30-40%.

Happens to me every time It unlocks but never when it’s locking.

Okay, can confirm this is definitely from the car and when it unlocks for the first time after sitting for a bit (for example, this morning after it was locked overnight). Anyone not experiencing that? @omarsultan @bmt00 @lolachampcar @Ramphex @Hayseed_MS

Maybe I should leave it unlocked in the garage if that’s an expected behavior.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Do we know what this covers? I feel like the picture you attached have me more questions than it answered. Where dis you see that?
Yeah, a LOT is excluded - definitely wear/tear items like seals, etc and there are clauses around if you let something go too long without repair and make it worse or do modifications that would cause issues, etc. It does include things like all the parts that typically could go wrong though like MCU, electronics, door handles, lighting, etc. but there is also I think a $200 deductible always. It also says you need to do service within 1000 miles of recommended times to remain compliant. So will have to research it more again but main additional excluded things are:

Maintenance/Parts, including but not limited to the following:
o Parts and normal or expendable maintenance items and procedures such as annual service and diagnostics checks, brake pads/linings, brake rotor, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, hoses, air conditioning lines, hoses or connections, Battery testing, fluid changes, appearance care (such as cleaning and polishing), filters and wiper blades/inserts; and
o Other maintenance services and parts described in Tesla’s maintenance schedule for the covered Vehicle;

Other Parts not covered:
o Bright metal, sheet metal, bumpers, ornamentation moldings, carpet, upholstery, paint, shock absorbers, 12V battery, battery cables, lenses, light bulbs, sealed beams, glass (e.g., windshield), wheels, interior trim, body seals and gaskets (e.g., weather stripping);
o Removable soft tops, removable hard tops, glass, plastic, framing, cables, or seals; and
o Certain individual items associated with the Vehicle, including, but not limited to the Mobile Connector, Wall
Connector, any future connectors, and charging adapters;

Attached is current ESA verbiage. (for USA)

Attachments

• vehicle_extended_service_agreement_en_us.pdf
    384.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Based on the entries in the second tab of the tracking sheet, I'm seeing some interesting trends:
  • 19" wheel orders are starting to get 2-week (or narrower) EDDs, which I've highlighted in light grey, and even some VINs (highlighted in yellow)
  • Most of these orders are for black or cream interiors and wood trim, very few CF at all (just one at the moment), and no white interiors
  • Exterior colors are a mix and match, though interestingly no whites (this will further infuriate @umair239 - sorry dude)
  • A fair number of LR models are getting built with 19" wheels, not all or mostly Plaids
  • Despite the small sample sizes, those getting narrow EDDs and/or VINs tend to be grouped around the same order date/RN
To me, this indicates the following (again, based on small sample sizes, so to be taken with a grain of salt):
  1. 19" wheels are finally being produced in decent volumes
  2. CF trim is still sparse, possibly from supply issues (e.g. CF spoiler is backordered)
  3. White interiors are not being produced in volume at the moment
PS: this sheet is regularly sorted by RN then by order date, so if your recent entry is no longer at the bottom, look for it further up :)

Last edited:
So now that we are starting to take deliveries more it seems, who is doing the Extended Service Agreement for Model S. Seems a bit higher than some other brands but not too bad - but at least you save $500 if you buy it within 180 days of taking delivery. It auto transfers now to new ownership, or is refunded at a prorated cancellation rate if not fully used so seems like a small commitment or recoverable if do sell to new owner later. Thoughts, for those of you that will keep your new S say 6-8 years and want/don't want coverage?

We are considering the 4 year as we keep nice cars a while. Our new F150 extended was about $2500 for 8 years 125,000 miles total coverage which seemed reasonable for that truck's prices - Model S compared is always a lot more $$$ to fix so doesn't seem TOO bad.

In the end knows it is sort of an insurance policy which hate but our old X for example had a lot of tech go wrong in it.
Thanks for posting this. I had no idea this was still an option. I owned the 2012 P85 (2nd owner) that was extended to 8 years. Darn near every major component was replaced in the last 4 years and the service experience and coverage was really good, though it may cover less now. I'll take a closer look.
This Plaid is likely the last expensive car I'll buy and plan to keep it for 8+years. And with the Plaid having brand new tech, I'll probably buy this.

Last edited:
Okay, can confirm this is definitely from the car and when it unlocks for the first time after sitting for a bit (for example, this morning after it was locked overnight). Anyone not experiencing that? @omarsultan @bmt00 @lolachampcar @Ramphex @Hayseed_MS

Maybe I should leave it unlocked in the garage if that’s an expected behavior.
It’s the high voltage contactor relay connecting. Perfectly normal.

So making a color or interior change to an existing order bumps you to the current cost? Ordered in June before the prices increases.
Yes, currently there's no way around it and SAs will give you a run around if you ask them about it. Unless you go to higher ups or have a connection at Tesla hq you're stuck with the config you ordered.

Based on the entries in the second tab of the tracking sheet, I'm seeing some interesting trends:
  • 19" wheel orders are starting to get 2-week (or narrower) EDDs, which I've highlighted in light grey, and even some VINs (highlighted in yellow)
  • Most of these orders are for black or cream interiors and wood trim, very few CF at all (just one at the moment), and no white interiors
  • Exterior colors are a mix and match, though interestingly no whites (this will further infuriate @umair239 - sorry dude)
  • A fair number of LR models are getting built with 19" wheels, not all or mostly Plaids
  • Despite the small sample sizes, those getting narrow EDDs and/or VINs tend to be grouped around the same order date/RN
To me, this indicates the following (again, based on small sample sizes, so to be taken with a grain of salt):
  1. 19" wheels are finally being produced in decent volumes
  2. CF trim is still sparse, possibly from supply issues (e.g. CF spoiler is backordered)
  3. White interiors are not being produced in volume at the moment
PS: this sheet is regularly sorted by RN then by order date, so if your recent entry is no longer at the bottom, look for it further up :)

I just got a EDD and mine is white exterior and someone from the FB group just got the same EDD as mine and he also has white but with 19"
1628353389767.png

I ordered a Model S on January 27th. Long Range, Silver, White Seats, Arachnid wheels. Original estimate was March, but the estimate has disappeared and reappeared to be a later date several times. Most recently the estimate said August, but that is gone now too. Tesla contact at my local store said internal tools are showing November now, but I'm holding out hope that it may come sooner.

Really can't afford further delays, as my first kid is coming in December and I need a new vehicle regardless to accommodate a car seat. I've even told them I'd consider upgrading to a Plaid if it meant getting it sooner, but it doesn't appear that those sorts of strings are available for local delivery employees to pull.

I ordered a Model S on January 27th. Long Range, Silver, White Seats, Arachnid wheels. Original estimate was March, but the estimate has disappeared and reappeared to be a later date several times. Most recently the estimate said August, but that is gone now too. Tesla contact at my local store said internal tools are showing November now, but I'm holding out hope that it may come sooner.

Really can't afford further delays, as my first kid is coming in December and I need a new vehicle regardless to accommodate a car seat. I've even told them I'd consider upgrading to a Plaid if it meant getting it sooner, but it doesn't appear that those sorts of strings are available for local delivery employees to pull.
You’ll get it before December. Stay strong friend, the LR seems like the perfect family sedan ❤️

So as someone mentioned (maybe in another thread) the 19s are no longer the hold up. Instead, its CF and white interiors. That's fine, Elon, where's my ANC bro? Can they at least ship that feature 3-4 months after launch, like, what's going on? I'd like to reiterate it's one of my top 2 features of why I am buying the car.
So impatient! 🙄 The man said two weeks and he’ll do it. God, you don’t have to remind him every six months.