Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I've been lurking here for a couple weeks now. Looking to finally order a Model S here in the next week or two, hopefully. My M3P was totaled at no fault of my own by a commercial truck. I wanted a Model S before, but couldn't justify the difference at the time. Now, I can't get anything else. I really don't want to be in an ICE rental for a long time as my commute is 70 miles one way. It seems consensus is the fastest delivery is white/black/21s for both LR and Plaid? Is Plaid still delivering quicker? This will be my 3rd Tesla so I understand the absurdity that comes with ordering one... sadly.

Seems some 19' are finally getting VINs though. My preferred config is white/black/19s on either Plaid or LR, but at this point a faster potential delivery speed may be worth the extra money for the plaid. Wish I was allowed to put a deposit on one before the most recent price increase, but can't win them all. Thanks in advance!
Some people have had success reaching out to surrounding service centers, to be notified if someone's financing falls through or an order is cancelled. If you have no preference in colors, you might be able to get one fairly quick this way.

I think we should all watch Lucid. You know it's headed by the former chief engineer on the Tesla Model S; he was Elon's right-hand man at the beginning, but it appears he along with so many others differed on the way Elon does things and conducts business. Seems like Lucid is much more about high-end quality, customer service, and the consumer's buying experience as well as performance, leading technology and battery range. Lucid has adopted more of a Mercedes-Benz type of corporate mission strategy and for many consumers, that's much more appealing than having the ability for your car to make fart sounds, play video games inside, and steer with an airplane style/F1 mechanism. Just saying.

Bottom line (for a guy like me who is getting older, not younger, lol) is for my next EV, I would likely sacrifice a little neck-snapping performance of the 1,020 HP/1,050 ft-lb TQ on the Tesla Model S for another sport sedan EV like the Lucid Air GT (same price range) with 800 HP/TQ and very decent performance numbers (say similar to the MS LR) BUT with immense quality improvements, super luxurious, high-end interior and exterior design advantages over the Tesla Model S (all with similar bleeding edge technology that operates the vehicle) AND enjoy much higher max battery range! Let's see what the EPA rates the Lucid Air Dream Ed and upcoming GT and what actual Lucid owners/drivers get in real-world max battery range. Then, let's see what improvements Lucid makes while learning more and more as time goes on. Good times coming up over the next 2-5+ years in the EV world, no doubt about that!

But, again, I hope Tesla takes notice and understands that what was once the "Tesla Cult" of devout and ardent followers and defenders, all that hype and admiration will likely significantly decline, especially if they continue with the same exact business model and how cruddy they treat their own customers. They may build an amazing car right now, but it's just a car that most people drive for a few years and then move on to the next one. Consumer brand loyalty in the auto world is secured better with being awesome in many aspects from ordering to manufacturing, delivering, and of course reliability, maintenance/service and customer service. Can't speak for the Tesla M3 (although none are 'cheap' by any means), but at least these Model S EVs are > $100k vehicles, and a certain level of quality, reliability, communication from the company, and dedication to customer satisfaction and customer service are all expected by consumers spending this kind of their hard-earned money.

FYI, although this is the Lucid Air Dream Ed ($160k) with 1,080 HP (and supposedly ~ 500mi max battery range AND even if it's less, so likely still > 400mi range), but 1/4 mi. in 9.9 sec @ 144mph is nothing to sneeze at in terms of quick performance... Watch the Lucid Air Dream Do a 1/4 Mile in 9.9 Seconds
I'd actually say brand loyalty is big in cars. How many people stick with BMW despite them having a record of electronic bugs throughout the years (BMTroubleYou anyone?) Look at VW/Audi. Talk about automotive cults.

I see Tesla having that loyalty as long as they continue to have that performance driven/innovative mindset.

Lucid will be what Mercedes-Benz is, as Tesla is the BMW.

For anyone that has taken delivery, does FSD contain auto park? I can’t figure out how to get auto park to work. Looked it up in manual and it doesn’t mention it at all. Wondering if Auto Park just isn’t a feature on the refresh S?
Appears to be currently not active--at last I have found no mention of it.

They are the full "liners". They fit well enough that I'm good with them, even though the listing shows them only working for 2012-2020. I think the rear coverage may be slightly off, but w/e. I went by a service center and they let me toss them in to check fitment before I bought.

They are these:

I have the all weather mats for the refresh and they fit pretty well. Coverage could have been bette but they are solid quality made by weathertech
View attachment 693687
View attachment 693688

I was thinking about the second set but was waiting to see what weathertech puts out. Interesting that they’re made by weathertech lol

I think we should all watch Lucid.

I would agree with this and also throw Rivian into the mix, but for different reasons. If nothing else, Musk deserves credit for making Tesla a viable business. The Model S made EVs sexy, but still niche. The rapid push into new segments with the Model X, Model 3, Model Y and CT forced the legacy guys and gals to take notice and respond. He managed that growth while not tanking the company, which is a rare thing. I don't think they are out of the woods yet, but Tesla is past the "permanent life support" phase.

Lucid and Rivian are likely the best capitalized of the next wave to start-ups. Their first challenge is to get product to market in a scalable way (which I think they will do). The next challenge is profitability, which I think will be much more challenging--Tesla had the advantage of an open field and these folks do not. I would imagine both are attractive to legacy manufacturers looking to jump start their EV efforts.

I would agree with this and also throw Rivian into the mix, but for different reasons. If nothing else, Musk deserves credit for making Tesla a viable business. The Model S made EVs sexy, but still niche. The rapid push into new segments with the Model X, Model 3, Model Y and CT forced the legacy guys and gals to take notice and respond. He managed that growth while not tanking the company, which is a rare thing. I don't think they are out of the woods yet, but Tesla is past the "permanent life support" phase.

Lucid and Rivian are likely the best capitalized of the next wave to start-ups. Their first challenge is to get product to market in a scalable way (which I think they will do). The next challenge is profitability, which I think will be much more challenging--Tesla had the advantage of an open field and these folks do not. I would imagine both are attractive to legacy manufacturers looking to jump start their EV efforts.

I think Lucid fails but their EV tech is bought. It took them quite a long time just to get the initial small set of reservations they allocated to be booked. Rivians LE got booked very quickly. I think Rivian shows a good proof of concept and gets bought my Ford or GM.

I expect Elon to give up Tesla once the 4680s are rolling. I think he stays on the board but someone else comes in and does the day-to-day. He's letting Tesla slip and it's very apparent imo. His mind and soul is with SpaceX. Totally understandable and I think Tesla will be better for it if they get a tech CEO.

I think Lucid fails but their EV tech is bought. It too them quite a long time just to get the initial small set of resevartions they allocated to be booked. Rivians LE got booked very quickly. I think Rivian shows a good proof of concept and gets bought my Ford or GM.

I expect Elon to give up Tesla once the 4680s are rolling. I think he stays on the board but someone else comes in and does the day-to-day. He's letting Tesla slip and it's very apparent imo. His mind and soul is with SpaceX. Totally understandable and I think Tesla will be better for it if they get a tech CEO.
Agreed. He will always want to have the final say, and that's a great thing because Tesla is still technically in his hands, which will keep them ahead of the competition. And someone else can come in and manage the little stuff and details.

Last edited: