Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd actually say brand loyalty is big in cars. How many people stick with BMW despite them having a record of electronic bugs throughout the years (BMTroubleYou anyone?) Look at VW/Audi. Talk about automotive cults.

I see Tesla having that loyalty as long as they continue to have that performance driven/innovative mindset.

Lucid will be what Mercedes-Benz is, as Tesla is the BMW.
I agree; I was just saying that I am not brand loyal. I've owned/driven many different auto mfgr cars from JLR, Porsche, MB, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Nissan, Acura, Honda, GM, etc. I like trying out new ones. A couple of my favs have been my MB AMG and Porsche. And you may be right on the analogy of MB/Lucid - Tesla/BMW...I can see that. ;)

I would agree with this and also throw Rivian into the mix, but for different reasons. If nothing else, Musk deserves credit for making Tesla a viable business. The Model S made EVs sexy, but still niche. The rapid push into new segments with the Model X, Model 3, Model Y and CT forced the legacy guys and gals to take notice and respond. He managed that growth while not tanking the company, which is a rare thing. I don't think they are out of the woods yet, but Tesla is past the "permanent life support" phase.

Lucid and Rivian are likely the best capitalized of the next wave to start-ups. Their first challenge is to get product to market in a scalable way (which I think they will do). The next challenge is profitability, which I think will be much more challenging--Tesla had the advantage of an open field and these folks do not. I would imagine both are attractive to legacy manufacturers looking to jump start their EV efforts.
I had a deposit on a Lucid Air GT and when I decided to go for the Tesla MS Plaid (and when the 6+ month delays were actually ANNOUNCED by Lucid, I cancelled my order and got my $1,000 deposit back from Lucid thinking I would be taking delivery on my MS Plaid within 4-8 weeks from Feb, 2021...yeah right?!?!?!)

But, I also bought CCIV (SPAC) stock at a low price after the merger was announced and I now own some shares in LCID. I agree profitability will be a challenging long road for the company, but ultimately I think it will succeed and hoping I am able to triple or quadruple my $$ in stock investment over the years. We'll see, but Lucid is well funded and not going out of business anytime soon. I think they will be very successful in the future. 👍

I have no VIN, but my EDD range (August 10-19) is sooner than your’s??? I have an LR rather than Plaid, but I’m not sure how that would matter in this case.
In case it helps make sense of anything (yeah.. Right!! :) ) here's some history on my order with a VIN and 19s:

MS Plaid Ordered 3/17, #RN1146, Blue/Cream/Wood/FSD/19s, Location: CO

EDD history:
Blank, for months (ignoring monkey fling back in March/April)
Jul 31: Aug 8-22
Aug 1: Aug 10-21
Aug 2: Aug 11-21
Aug 3: Aug 12-21
Aug 4: Aug 13-21
Aug 5: Aug 14-21
Aug 6: Aug 15-23
Aug 7: Aug 12-18, with VIN!
Aug 8 (just after midnight, night of the 7th, actually): Aug 11-17
Aug 8: Aug 13-19

Interesting that the date range pulled in (and narrowed a little), when the VIN was assigned, but now is drifting out day by day again -- after the hiccup...

I did some EDD math for those in my area (Seattle). After scouring many posts about EDD's, I've concluded the following for Seattle/Renton/Bellevue deliveries...

On the day ("X") you get the 13-14 day EDD range, that seems to equal the "birth date" of your car (which you can confirm after delivery). About 7-8 days later ("Y"), you will see a VIN (your EDD range will be about 7 days at this point). Delivery date("Z") is about 5-6 days later (Transportation and DC prep). Going the other way, the later date ("Z'") on the range provided on day "X" is about 3-4 days later than when you will actually take delivery on day "Z".

So, it's X+12=Z, or

Z'-3(or 4)=Z

For those in the Seattle area, post your experiences!

Last edited:
I think we should all watch Lucid. You know it's headed by the former chief engineer on the Tesla Model S; he was Elon's right-hand man at the beginning, but it appears he along with so many others differed on the way Elon does things and conducts business. Seems like Lucid is much more about high-end quality, customer service, and the consumer's buying experience as well as performance, leading technology and battery range. Lucid has adopted more of a Mercedes-Benz type of corporate mission strategy and for many consumers, that's much more appealing than having the ability for your car to make fart sounds, play video games inside, and steer with an airplane style/F1 mechanism. Just saying.

Bottom line (for a guy like me who is getting older, not younger, lol) is for my next EV, I would likely sacrifice a little neck-snapping performance of the 1,020 HP/1,050 ft-lb TQ on the Tesla Model S for another sport sedan EV like the Lucid Air GT (same price range) with 800 HP/TQ and very decent performance numbers (say similar to the MS LR) BUT with immense quality improvements, super luxurious, high-end interior and exterior design advantages over the Tesla Model S (all with similar bleeding edge technology that operates the vehicle) AND enjoy much higher max battery range! Let's see what the EPA rates the Lucid Air Dream Ed and upcoming GT and what actual Lucid owners/drivers get in real-world max battery range. Then, let's see what improvements Lucid makes while learning more and more as time goes on. Good times coming up over the next 2-5+ years in the EV world, no doubt about that!

But, again, I hope Tesla takes notice and understands that what was once the "Tesla Cult" of devout and ardent followers and defenders, all that hype and admiration will likely significantly decline, especially if they continue with the same exact business model and how cruddy they treat their own customers. They may build an amazing car right now, but it's just a car that most people drive for a few years and then move on to the next one. Consumer brand loyalty in the auto world is secured better with being awesome in many aspects from ordering to manufacturing, delivering, and of course reliability, maintenance/service and customer service. Can't speak for the Tesla M3 (although none are 'cheap' by any means), but at least these Model S EVs are > $100k vehicles, and a certain level of quality, reliability, communication from the company, and dedication to customer satisfaction and customer service are all expected by consumers spending this kind of their hard-earned money.

FYI, although this is the Lucid Air Dream Ed ($160k) with 1,080 HP (and supposedly ~ 500mi max battery range AND even if it's less, so likely still > 400mi range), but 1/4 mi. in 9.9 sec @ 144mph is nothing to sneeze at in terms of quick performance... Watch the Lucid Air Dream Do a 1/4 Mile in 9.9 Seconds
It occurs to me that Tesla does not care so much about the Model S other than it being the ragged edge of what they can do. Folks will buy it for what it is, rather than what it is not. It is a max-effort showcase and vehicle for further hype.

The other Tesla models offer far greater production numbers, benefit from the hype, and are a piece of that hype.

Similarly, GM does not make a living on Corvettes.

Unless Lucid plans to go to mass low-end production, they will be a niche market fit. Just like Ferrari, Porsche, and the Model S.

We can say the same thing about the roadster with rocket propulsion. It will be a legend that few get to experience. Everyone will see the videos and wish they could be part of it. Everyone except those of us that are seasoned enough to see through it. AND even those may look upon it lustily.

Low production hype. Lucid is racing to follow the same model and desperately trying to find distinction. Read that again. They are trying to find distinction using the same model.

As with all things, we will see how it goes.

Cheers

For those of you still waiting for carbon fiber, it’s worth the wait. It feels the most modern to me.
Love the CF. It was not an option on the LR or I would have gone that way. Does not look like too many CF pieces and I wonder if there will be an aftermarket trim kit to swap out the ebony with the CF. On the other hand, I am getting older every day and will eventually love the ebony and think the CF is for the 'youngsters' :)

I did some EDD math for those in my area (Seattle). After scouring many posts about EDD's, I've concluded the following for Seattle/Renton/Bellevue deliveries...

On the day ("X") you get the 13-14 day EDD range, that seems to equal the "birth date" of your car (which you can confirm after delivery). About 7-8 days later ("Y"), you will see a VIN (your EDD range will be about 7 days at this point). Delivery date("Z") is about 5-6 days later (Transportation and DC prep). Going the other way, the later date ("Z'") on the range provided on day "X" is about 3-4 days later than when you will actually take delivery on day "Z".

So, it's X+12=Z, or

Z'-3(or 4)=Z

For those in the Seattle area, post your experiences!
I love this analysis, but it is not panning out for me. I don’t live in Seattle, but LA so I would think the shipping time would be shorter. I have had date ranges come and go. This latest go around, the date range appeared on July 24 and I have not received the car (or a VIN) yet. If I am correct, using your formula the vehicle should have been delivered around Aug 5. Unfortunately, the is Still no sign of the car or VIN, so I doubt the car is even under production yet. (Current range is Aug 10-19). I applaud your efforts to make sense of a seeming chaotic system, however. Or maybe Seattle is just getting preference. 😉

I love this analysis, but it is not panning out for me. I don’t live in Seattle, but LA so I would think the shipping time would be shorter. I have had date ranges come and go. This latest go around, the date range appeared on July 24 and I have not received the car (or a VIN) yet. If I am correct, using your formula the vehicle should have been delivered around Aug 5. Unfortunately, the is Still no sign of the car or VIN, so I doubt the car is even under production yet. (Current range is Aug 10-19). I applaud your efforts to make sense of a seeming chaotic system, however. Or maybe Seattle is just getting preference. 😉
I only studied Seattle EDDs.

Last edited: