Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to chime in on the Rimac banter. It is a low production car at 150. It is also very very expensive at 2.4mUS$. I don’t care that it claims the quickest production car. Low production and high price, it can claim it. The Plaid is still gonna be king of the road anywhere it goes except for the very limited chances one meets a Rimac

What I find disturbing is that the car is close to being released and all 150 cars are not accounted for yet. Worst, in the Dragtimes video, the Rimac rep hints to Brooks that he could get a discount. That is actually terrible. The company just merged with Bugatti, the cars is quicker than anything that ever worn a license plate from day 1 and yet there are not enough fools with a ton of money to snap all 150s?

I am wondering if the builder did not know the 14-50 outlet was being used to charge an EV. A 50A breaker for the 14-50 is not inherently bad, but for sustained loads like EV charging, the circuit must be de-rated by 20% so the circuit should have been installed with a 40A breaker.
A 50A breaker is the correct breaker for a 14-50 receptacle. Putting a 40A breaker on it doesn’t de-rate the circuit. Devices that come with a 14-50 plug are designed for it. It will just overheat and pop quicker. The wall connector that comes with the 14-50 plug pre-wired should not try to pull 48A.

I'm not precisely sure, as this is my first EV, and I'm just learning about necessary wiring/circuits around various amp loads. I've seen plenty of NEMA 14-50 applications with 6 gauge wire. But code requires the outlet to have its own GFCI protection (regardless of any GFCI protection at the charger). So that protection should have tripped with a 48A load on an outlet only rated for a 40A load.

EDIT: I realize @Tholland is trying to figure out why or how the load was increased, but I'm also focused on the protection that should be in place to prevent a fire or other bad things from happening.
Hmmmm I have to check about that GFCI. that I’m nit sure about. The breaker did trip. But I don’t think that’s the GFCI.

Just wanted to chime in on the Rimac banter. It is a low production car at 150. It is also very very expensive at 2.4mUS$. I don’t care that it claims the quickest production car. Low production and high price, it can claim it. The Plaid is still gonna be king of the road anywhere it goes except for the very limited chances one meets a Rimac

What I find disturbing is that the car is close to being released and all 150 cars are not accounted for yet. Worst, in the Dragtimes video, the Rimac rep hints to Brooks that he could get a discount. That is actually terrible. The company just merged with Bugatti, the cars is quicker than anything that ever worn a license plate from day 1 and yet there are not enough fools with a ton of money to snap all 150s?
I wouldn't find that disturbing at all. Bugatti still has roughly 100 Chirons left in the production run available to order, and that car's been available for over 5 years. A lot of these limited production cars are in fact sold out, but for a new company with a new car, or a car the market just doesn't totally realize (i.e: ahead of their time) they don't always sell out right away.

Reactions: impastu and AMGF
They knew it was EV charging. We had one hardwire 60amp breaker ran and one 50amp breaker ran for the 14-50. All with copper wire. This seems to be a wall connector issue. The wall connector reverted to max 48amp on its own. Never have I ever had this issue before. What I’m confused about is, if they ran a 40amp breaker for 14-50 socket which requires a 50amp breaker wouldn’t that cause issue? I thought the point of the 50 portion was that the breaker is for 50amps. That way anything that plugs into that outlet has up to 50amp of power. So putting a 40amp breaker in, and then plugging in something that does go up to 40amps or slightly more would cause a issue. The older model S mobile connector would pull a 40amp on a 50amp breaker. So in that case you would have to de rate the car as well down. Because that means it would only be able to pull 32amp. The new gen 2 mobile connectors can only pull a maximum of 32amps thru that mobile connector. I’m no electrician so I’m very interested in know more about this… if you can please go more into detail. @omarsultan
It sounds like when it came back up some settings were corrupt so it came up with default settings.

Also, in my experience the vast majority of electricians would not know to de-rate that circuit due to EV charging. Someone who specializes in installing EV chargers maybe but not the others.

A 50A breaker is the correct breaker for a 14-50 receptacle. Putting a 40A breaker on it doesn’t de-rate the circuit. Devices that come with a 14-50 plug are designed for it. It will just overheat and pop quicker. The wall connector that comes with the 14-50 plug pre-wired should not try to pu
It sounds like when it came back up some settings were corrupt so it came up with default settings.

Also, in my experience the vast majority of electricians would not know to de-rate that circuit due to EV charging.
The things I’m not getting is, the outlet is rated for 50amps max. it should only pull 40amps thru a 14-50. It can pull 40amps continuously and handle 50amps peak.. you should not put a 40amp breaker on a 14-50 outlet. If you did that then, by code could only pull 80% which would be 32 amps. which is to low for the max of that outlet Which by code is incorrect. the item you plug in of course can range from 0-50amps. And can pull 32 if that’s all it needs. That was my understanding. But Im going to call tesla tomorrow and see what they think.

A 50A breaker is the correct breaker for a 14-50 receptacle. Putting a 40A breaker on it doesn’t de-rate the circuit. Devices that come with a 14-50 plug are designed for it. It will just overheat and pop quicker. The wall connector that comes with the 14-50 plug pre-wired should not try to pull 48A.
@lbowroom is correct--my bad

I have a feeling 50% of the Rimac Nevera’s are heading the UEA, Qatar, & Saudi Arabia, and the other 50% will be scattered around the world. I doubt I’ll ever see one in person, even here in S FL. Guessing there may be a couple in CA; not sure whose Rimac Nevera Brooks drove on the track to set the world record in CA?

Anyway, I’m sorry but I just don’t consider a limited production $2.5m vehicle in the same ballpark as the Tesla MS Plaid. It’s an amazing EV and it’s so cool that Mr Rimac will now head up the merged co, Rimac-Bugatti…great things to come in the near future but these vehicles are just in the stratosphere compared to our cars and 99.9% of all vehicles produced on Earth.

Hmmmm I have to check about that GFCI. that I’m nit sure about. The breaker did trip. But I don’t think that’s the GFCI.
you typically wouldn't have a GCFI breaker on a 14-50 receptacle, it's possible, you'd see a white button as well as the switches on the breaker. You definitely wouldn't see a GFCI in the plug itself. Most EV chargers, have built-in GFCI protection. When the unit is hardwired, there is no need for a GFCI breaker. If the unit is installed with a plug with a GFCI breaker, there can and will be faulty trips.

The things I’m not getting is, the outlet is rated for 50amps max. it should only pull 40amps thru a 14-50. It can pull 40amps continuously and handle 50amps peak.. you should not put a 40amp breaker on a 14-50 outlet. If you did that then, by code could only pull 80% which would be 32 amps. which is to low for the max of that outlet Which by code is incorrect. the item you plug in of course can range from 0-50amps. And can pull 32 if that’s all it needs. That was my understanding. But Im going to call tesla tomorrow and see what they think.
phew, i was getting a little worried about the electrical advice being put out there. @Tholland if you have a 14-50 receptacle, ensure you have a 50A breaker, along with the correct size gauge wire running to said receptacle. 50A outlet should be 6 gauge for any long distance. you can get away with 8 gauge if you use the higher temp (90 degree) wire for shorter runs (i.e., like 10ft), but you'd want the higher gauge for a longer run.

I'm not precisely sure, as this is my first EV, and I'm just learning about necessary wiring/circuits around various amp loads. I've seen plenty of NEMA 14-50 applications with 6 gauge wire. But code requires the outlet to have its own GFCI protection (regardless of any GFCI protection at the charger). So that protection should have tripped with a 48A load on an outlet only rated for a 40A load.

EDIT: I realize @Tholland is trying to figure out why or how the load was increased, but I'm also focused on the protection that should be in place to prevent a fire or other bad things from happening.
typically your GFCI protection wouldn't be the one that trips for amperage, it'd be the breaker that does that part of the job. GFCI is to measure a hot to neutral fault, where current is flowing between those two, that's what it sees when there's a short circuit, not an overload situation.

understandably there's some states that require GFCI in garages now for all circuits. that sucks. hard wire instead and you don't need a GFCI circuit, that will likely be a giant pain when it randomly trips.

I don't want to scare anyone, but I must share what happened today: I picked up my LR and within 6.3 miles of driving the car started shaking and shuddering really bad from the rear, followed by stalling out and a host of error messages: "vehicle shutting down, rear motor power reduced, pull over safely, exiting the car, and re-entering may restore power". The car was towed to the service center. I will update what they find in a few days. As a side note, a little icon of a turtle shows up with the "power reduced".
Hmmmmm, it sounds like an exact repeat of what happened to a few Model 3’s in 2018.

I wouldn't find that disturbing at all. Bugatti still has roughly 100 Chirons left in the production run available to order, and that car's been available for over 5 years. A lot of these limited production cars are in fact sold out, but for a new company with a new car, or a car the market just doesn't totally realize (i.e: ahead of their time) they don't always sell out right away.
I didn’t know for the Chiron. I thought these cars were hard to acquire. So if the uber rich don’t see the value in a Chiron, no wonder they don’t see it in a Rimac.

As I was watching the Dragtimes video and other videos of the Rimac I kept thinking, how in the world is that car a multi million car? Sure it has the power. But the interior looks like a kit car. The screens look a generation or two behind. The brand name won’t impress anyone at the diner’s club. I don’t think the world is ready for an EV hypercar just yet, and when they are, they will be looking for something that actually looks like it’s worth 2m$ bucks.

I didn’t know for the Chiron. I thought these cars were hard to acquire. So if the uber rich don’t see the value in a Chiron, no wonder they don’t see it in a Rimac.

As I was watching the Dragtimes video and other videos of the Rimac I kept thinking, how in the world is that car a multi million car? Sure it has the power. But the interior looks like a kit car. The screens look a generation or two behind. The brand name won’t impress anyone at the diner’s club. I don’t think the world is ready for an EV hypercar just yet, and when they are, they will be looking for something that actually looks like it’s worth 2m$ bucks.
Well the technology in it is quite advanced to be honest. Plus I don't care what you say, but building, engineering, and producing the world's largest production single piece carbon monoqoque can't be cheap, plus all of the other battery and powertrain technology that goes into this. The battery is only 120 KWH, and it makes 1.4 MW!
Here is some of the stuff they do, and the reason why Hyundai, Koenigsegg, Porsche, Bugatti, Pininfarina, Aston Martin, etc.. have invested and are using Rimac's technology:

And personally, and as respectfully as I possibly can, I disagree with the notion that the world isn't ready for an EV hypercar. I think this the perfect prime timing for the EV hypercars to make their debuts. The Aspark Owl with its 1.72 second 0-60 w/ rollout (and 1.9 w/o) on street tires is already in production and beginning deliveries. Tesla's own hypercar, the Roadster, is due to be out in the next 2 years, the Nevera is about to go into production and so is the Battista, and the most exciting to me personally, the Lotus Evija, will be going into production this year as well. If the world was skeptical before, they definitely aren't now, with the headlines the Nevera is making. Talk about making a LaFerrari look seriously outdated and slow! And this is just the first one! :)

I got a VIN hours after ordering (no hate please) and have been calling daily to see when it is in transit since LA to Scottsdale is basically same day. They told me last week that it was so I let my LR+ go to CarBuyerUSA instead of selling it retail. I assumed I could go a day without a car. It was not actually in transit and they heard about that. Yesterday I got someone who said she would send a message to logistics to see if that would help get it moving. Today it shows as left the factory and on its way. YMMV
@Leodoc got another one chief