Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, if the AC is running and power is being drawn the net power for the sitting plus moving it a short distance will make it look like a tremendous draw per mile. Sit in the car for a few minutes with the AC on then drive off. The Watt-Hr/Mile is horrendous for the first few miles.
That makes sense. Thanks. I'm glad they weren't nearby to hear me talking about it.

Another observation yesterday after picking my car up. The first launch in Plaid mode but not dragstrip mode was very odd. We were at a dead stop and when I floored it the car slowly rolled forward a few mph then after about 20 feet it started going faster and faster. Then around 50 - 75 feet it jumped to full power and became the 'bat out of hell'. I did a couple subsequent launches from a stop and it launched right away. Only happened the first time. Any thoughts?

If you want good build quality and money is not an issue, why not get a Taycan 4s with performance battery. 270-280 real world range, that’s close to what people are getting in their Teslas.
I ordered a 4S last year. It ran about $140,000, and I was being conservative in adding options. I canceled the order when I saw reports of failures with Electrify America charging stations. I’d charge at home 95% of the time. I also realized that the MSLR would be much less expensive and offer more room and true OTA updates.

We still have a Boxster, so I’m still welcome at the Porsche dealership and can help myself to the wonderful assortment of snacks.

Another observation yesterday after picking my car up. The first launch in Plaid mode but not dragstrip mode was very odd. We were at a dead stop and when I floored it the car slowly rolled forward a few mph then after about 20 feet it started going faster and faster. Then around 50 - 75 feet it jumped to full power and became the 'bat out of hell'. I did a couple subsequent launches from a stop and it launched right away. Only happened the first time. Any thoughts?
Likely that was Obstacle Aware Acceleration was turned on, which limits acceleration if it senses something in front of the car.

If you want good build quality and money is not an issue, why not get a Taycan 4s with performance battery. 270-280 real world range, that’s close to what people are getting in their Teslas.
I don't think Tesla's build quality is bad enough to spend an additional $25K plus for a car whose tech isn't nearly as good.

Porsche has lane keep and adaptive cruise. If you mean FSD then ya, Tesla is the only choice.
And the Porsche/Audi way for brake regen is by actually applying the brakes as usual; no one peddle driving and brake pads & rotors will have to be changed out as usual...that's $2,500 maintenance costs right there.

Played around with the car a little today. My wife and I spent a good 20 minutes trying to access the dashcam footage. We could not figure it out. Voice commands were not doing it. There is no camera icon where all the web searches say it should be. It allows me to record, and it allows me to save. The Tesla USB stick is there, I just can't seem to pull up any footage.

I’m on software version 10.2 (2021.12.4.9)

Not sure if this has been posted previously... Tesla more than doubles its non-refundable order fee

"Last year, Tesla gave up on its seven-day, no questions asked return policy, but the non-refundable order fee stayed.
Today, we learn that Tesla more than doubled the order fee to $250 in an update to its online configurator overnight:

The reason for the change is unknown, but it comes as the time between ordering a new Tesla and taking delivery is significantly increasing.
As we previously reported, Tesla has recently pushed almost all new delivery timelines for new car orders."

Screen-Shot-2021-08-20-at-9.49.47-AM.jpg

Last edited:
Played around with the car a little today. My wife and I spent a good 20 minutes trying to access the dashcam footage. We could not figure it out. Voice commands were not doing it. There is no camera icon where all the web searches say it should be. It allows me to record, and it allows me to save. The Tesla USB stick is there, I just can't seem to pull up any footage.

With the voice command you need to be very specific "dashcam viewer" and it should work. If not you are SOL until the update.

The good news is the 24.3 update adds the icon.

Not sure if this has been posted previously... Tesla more than doubles its non-refundable order fee

Last year, Tesla gave up on its seven-day, no questions asked return policy, but the non-refundable order fee stayed.
Today, we learn that Tesla more than doubled the order fee to $250 in an update to its online configurator overnight:

Screen-Shot-2021-08-20-at-9.49.47-AM.jpg

The reason for the change is unknown, but it comes as the time between ordering a new Tesla and taking delivery is significantly increasing.
As we previously reported, Tesla has recently pushed almost all new delivery timelines for new car orders.
Oops, my bad 🙃

I ordered a 4S last year. It ran about $140,000, and I was being conservative in adding options. I canceled the order when I saw reports of failures with Electrify America charging stations. I’d charge at home 95% of the time. I also realized that the MSLR would be much less expensive and offer more room and true OTA updates.

We still have a Boxster, so I’m still welcome at the Porsche dealership and can help myself to the wonderful assortment of snacks.

The Porsche/Audi fits my parents. That is why they switched from the Y to the E-Tron. They do not need more than 150-200 miles (99% charge at home so network a non-issue). They wanted a luxury car with air suspension and good ride. The price difference was not an issue for them. For me and my driving, the Porsche/Audi would be a huge nogo.

ETA: As much as I fallen in love with the one-pedal driving. They are fine with the Audi style and will never drive enough to wear out the brakes.

Last edited:

Ya the Model S is a better car for the money, but the poster was saying money doesn’t matter to him and he was concerned about build quality.