Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always understood tire size to be a trade off between handling and acceleration (smaller tires tiny bit faster (mostly due to weight) but less grip). Here is something from Car & Driver that is one of a few articles I have read about this over the years: Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested.

I don't have a horse in this debate because unless you go to a drag strip or track, I won't notice the tiny difference either way. Also, I am getting the 19s originally for the range but now want the 21s and would have switched BUT FOR THE STUPID $10k PENALTY because I THINK they look better (and maybe gets me my car sooner).

I am switching the rims on the 19s and may change to 21s or 20s but the decision will be all about how it looks because the car will be ridiculously fast for me whatever size tire I put on them.
I've read that article, and the issue with that notion is that it's not the same thing for the 19s vs. 21s. They don't assume for better tires that the 21s have. They only account for the bigger weight of the wheels, and the longer effective gearing the larger wheels give. I cannot stress enough how good the Michelin PS4S tires are. Additionally, tires make massive differences in instant high torque cars like the Plaid. They will still be close though.

I had a 2018 E63 with ECU tune. If your C63 is stock, an ECU tune will add about 70hp and almost 100tq. The C63 is a very nice ice car.
Edit: If it's your 1st EV, the LR will feel crazy fast.
I had an aggressive Eurocharged tune on my original motor with separate EMS that MAY or MAY NOT have played a role in the 6 piston turning sideways. 🤔
MB didn't ask and I didn't tell.

The LR will indeed be my first EV.

For those in Arizona .. My wife just showed me an article in the Phoenix paper concerning registration. EV's have been getting a big discount over gas cars for several years. My registration for the Plaid is to be $288. The rate starting in 2022 is 20 times that ... instead of 1% it goes to 20% of the retail. That is $5000, as I get close to year end my decision to wait for the white may change. Vehicle license tax formula for alternative fuel cars changing in 2022 | ADOT Arizona is one very expensive place to have a nice car.
Is that a one time fee or annually? In GA there is a fee payable every time a car changes owners that is in lieu of annual ad valorem taxes. It is the same for EVs as any other car, but it is something like 7.5% of the value of the car. On my order it is just over $9,000. Georgia also charges a $200 annual EV fee when you renew your tag that is meant to replace the gas tax that ICE cars pay when they fill up.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I had an aggressive Eurocharged tune on my original motor with separate EMS that MAY or MAY NOT have played a role in the 6 piston turning sideways. 🤔
MB didn't ask and I didn't tell.

The LR will indeed be my first EV.
Since you have a C63, you're obviously a performance oriented person so you'll love the Model S. My P100D was my first EV and I fell in love with it.

If they can prove it, ecu tunes technically give MB/Porsche/BMW etc. the green light to deny engine specific warranty claims. Yea it's a good thing MB didn't ask.

Anticipating another detailed write up on this
I actually have around 10 people already wanting test rides.

On another unfortunate topic, I dropped my LR off Tuesday morning for tint, ceramic and front PPF. I asked if it could be done by Friday night, because I have a trip planned Saturday. I noticed the car has not moved yet, so I called. The owner said he was short handed and probably won't get to it till Saturday. This information would have been useful Tuesday. I could have been driving my car all week. I'm a little angry right now.

On another unfortunate topic, I dropped my LR off Tuesday morning for tint, ceramic and front PPF. I asked if it could be done by Friday night, because I have a trip planned Saturday. I noticed the car has not moved yet, so I called. The owner said he was short handed and probably won't get to it till Saturday. This information would have been useful Tuesday. I could have been driving my car all week. I'm a little angry right now.
@AnselmDante Get a new tint shop, after that BS! You don't want a noob working on it anyway. Seriously.

@AnselmDante Get a new tint shop, after that BS! You don't want a noob working on it anyway. Seriously.
There are not a lot of convenient places around here. You have to weigh the wait for another shop as well. If I don't have my car after Saturday, I'll just go get it and start shopping again.

Just picked up my second Plaid. Same car except different wheels, 19" instead of the 21" wheels. I think it is correct, the tires are probably all season because they make more road noise. Noticeable. There are zero issues except they are now being delivered without any of the items in the trunk, the shelf and the two covers.

There is also more tire residue on the rear bumper. I didn't drive it as hard and it has more residue. 🤣 It does come with 255/45 (104Y ) in the front and 285/40 (107Y) in the rear. R19 Pirelli PZERO Elect. Wasn't laughing the whole way home this time. Maybe I'm already used to it. :rolleyes:

Here are my twins...
1630004241030.png
1630004152616.png

Interestingly, the manual shows 19" can be summer or all season with I think the X or Y on the tire representing which. So why don't we have AS yet for the winter areas? I think i saw a post later one that says the 19" were held back waiting for the tires, something I never considered (we all though the rims, covers, etc.) - do we have anything to support that or are we guessing?
lastly, I did notice in a few of the flyovers there are a BUNCH of what look like old tires loaded or being loaded into a giant dumpster. I wonder what that's all about - they don't look new (to me) - can they be recycling them to make parts for the cars? maybe rubber dampers underneath or other stuff?
Yes, there has been a lot of confusion about the 19" tires. In very recent conversations with two TAs at my SC and also someone at Freemont, I was told the 19" delays were due to Pirelli. I also read an article about the Tesla approved Pirelli Elect tires which mentioned the tires were just released.
Do I wish the tires were genuine all seasons ? Yes... but I'm happy with the 19" summer tires on the car. The Pzero 'Elect' tires seem like good tires.

Just picked up my second Plaid. Same car except different wheels, 19" instead of the 21" wheels. I think it is correct, the tires are probably all season because they make more road noise. Noticeable. There are zero issues except they are now being delivered without any of the items in the trunk, the shelf and the two covers.

There is also more tire residue on the rear bumper. I didn't drive it as hard and it has more residue. 🤣 It does come with 255/45 (104Y ) in the front and 285/40 (107Y) in the rear. R19 Pirelli PZERO Elect. Wasn't laughing the whole way home this time. Maybe I'm already used to it. :rolleyes:

Here are my twins...
View attachment 701691View attachment 701688

Here are my twins...

Beautiful Congrats !! The 19s are summer tires lol

Reactions: EndlessPlaid

The good news is once the tint is started, an experienced installer can do the entire car in 90 min. Not including the windshield.