Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For my RN1149, according to SA, my car arrives at Rockville, MD SC on 9/4. I asked for the build date and they said it was 7/13. Any reason to be concerned that car was built over 1.5 months ago but just shipped last week?
No. Just do a walk over the car and note anything that is not to your liking.

@Maybeplaid Yep, me too bro, me too! The 21s "look" better than the 19s, but I prefer the more comfortable ride (and efficiency) of the 19s. Yes, of course, I will take the better acceleration performance as well! :p
+1 There goes my rationalization for switching to the 21s at the SC (pay more than $4.5k at the SC but not $14.5k more if in the order). The one I gawked at in the mall parking lot had 21s and I really like the look better than the 19s. If the speed is going to be close (if not edging a bit to the 19s due to weight if nothing else/ neutral depending on the car you get), then all I have is looks. New rationalization. At least with the 19s, I can put the hubcaps on for longer trips and take them off all other times.

When the 19s wear out, I'll buy 21s unless the new Model S at that time has 4680s and 500 miles of range in which case, I'll just get 21s on the new Model S.

I am wasting a LOT of time thinking about largely irrelevant things because of the months long wait to actually get the car.

How does the sound quality compare to the previous premium sound system with the subwoofer in the old S?
I had the UHFS on my 2015 MS. I Also upgraded it to the LIght Harmonic Amp speakers with a SQ Subwoofer. It was significantly better than the original UHFS system that came with the 2015.
My Plaid sound system is better than my previously upgraded system in every way. Clearer mids/highs, volume, and bass.

I spent hours on the phone with Reus before getting my car, discussing the options to upgrade my Plaid system with them. He pretty much told me that the mids are as good as it gets and no need to upgrade them.
For $4500 they would change out the tweeters, add a center tweeter behind the mirror and add a sub.

Since taking possession of the car, I'm not sure the car needs it.

Bummed to read about the complaints about the MS sound quality. I have a '21 MYP and think the sound quality is the best
I've ever had in a car. Easily. Especially playing 24 bit files. Are folks saying that the MS is inferior somehow to the 3/Y system?
Exactly this. Anyone who is "upgrading" to a refresh from the 3/Y will notice that the audio is a "downgrade" from those cars in particular. They are exceptional, the S is merely "good."

There is a lot of genius to Tesla that is out in the open, but this unappreciated--the "experts" often focus on the wrong things. Way back when, one of the many advantages of the Panasonic 18650 was that it had no secrets--Panasonic had sold a gazillion of them and had good operational data on how they behaved, how they degraded etc. This greatly simplified the task of writing a BMS since the operational characteristics of the cells were so well understood. After the first few iterations of the pack, Tesla started to also accumulate mountains of their own data from their own cars which then informed subsequent design and engineering decisions.

No matter how talented your design and engineering team is, a 1.0 product is still a collection of unproven conjecture and that is where everyone else is. Eventually folks will close the gap as they accumulate their own data and expertise, but its going to take a couple of products cycles. Back to the original pack example, LG Chem cells have been around a couple of years, but operational data on them is still going to be limited (especially if manufacturers did not bother to instrument their cars), so writing a BMS to manage an LG pack is still going to involve a fair amount of rolling the dice.
Agreed. Doesn't GM use the LG Chem batteries in their notoriously flammable Chevy Bolts??

For those contemplating Dyson, concerned about cust service for repairs, etc. Remember: Sams and Costco both have lifetime return policies. No box necessary. My receipts are electronic when I purchase via my Sams card. They date back years. They give you ZERO hassle in returning anything YEARS later after it stops working.
Anecdotal, but we've have Dyson customer service to be great. Getting ahold of alive person during the tick of the pandemic was tough, but over the years, they have stood behind their products.

@jebinc @Venom @lawteam @neadams99

Really happy with the install of the Radenso RC M with laser jammers. Looks discreet. Will have an opportunity tomorrow to really put it through its paces. Will plan to report back about the radar detection and laser jamming tomorrow night.

Attachments

• 79E837CA-7A55-4D16-87FF-9F90BBAA01EB.jpeg
    79E837CA-7A55-4D16-87FF-9F90BBAA01EB.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 67
  • F5DB7EFC-8868-4779-84A4-28EA4FAA49CE.jpeg
    F5DB7EFC-8868-4779-84A4-28EA4FAA49CE.jpeg
    580.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 94409686-EEAD-4177-861A-B191ABC51946.jpeg
    94409686-EEAD-4177-861A-B191ABC51946.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 61
  • C1EA4804-8B79-4CB7-9D78-C7898A393F81.jpeg
    C1EA4804-8B79-4CB7-9D78-C7898A393F81.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20122016-6CD6-4D75-8DE6-1CBE6C50A0F7.jpeg
    20122016-6CD6-4D75-8DE6-1CBE6C50A0F7.jpeg
    737.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
+1 There goes my rationalization for switching to the 21s at the SC (pay more than $4.5k at the SC but not $14.5k more if in the order). The one I gawked at in the mall parking lot had 21s and I really like the look better than the 19s. If the speed is going to be close (if not edging a bit to the 19s due to weight if nothing else/ neutral depending on the car you get), then all I have is looks. New rationalization. At least with the 19s, I can put the hubcaps on for longer trips and take them off all other times.

When the 19s wear out, I'll buy 21s unless the new Model S at that time has 4680s and 500 miles of range in which case, I'll just get 21s on the new Model S.

I am wasting a LOT of time thinking about largely irrelevant things because of the months long wait to actually get the car.
+1