Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EDD Sep 3-10. That’s tomorrow. No VIN. RN 114397. January order. It feels like they would rather me cancel then sell mine to someone else for the 12K more, the current cost over my price. My brother with same config, ordered after me for more $$, has his car already. Feels unethical.
This sounds terrible - sorry to hear. Assuming when you say “same config” you mean exact same everything, in which case this is indeed sh*$ty.
I had been looking for evidence but hadn’t found any actual cases of them doing this. Do you mind sharing a bit more detail on how he got his? Was it the ‘normal’ process where he had an EDD that steadily got closer in? Was his EDD typically before yours from the start? Was this a vehicle rejected by someone?
Much appreciate your input (and hope you get your VIN soon!)

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
How did you manage the interaction on this? I think mine also have the summer version of the Pirelli (PZ4)?
A few months back, when the discussion on TMC about summer vs AS first started, I emailed SA and asked about it. He assured me they would be AS. I followed up a couple of more times before delivery, as it became clear here that 19” were summer tires, and I got additional reassurances. Then on delivery day (8/25) I spent about a half hour in dialogue with reps, and they went to research it. Seemed like it was the first time anyone questioned it at my SC. They told me the tires were AS and so I left with the car. Then I read another post here on TMC that night which confirmed they were NOT AS. So I emailed post-delivery tech at SC, and he responded that he thought they might have delivered my car with the wrong tires. It took a week for resolution, as he said the issue was being escalated within Tesla. Then yesterday I got confirmation they will be swapping my summer tires for AS. I asked how long it would take for new tires to arrive and was told “two weeks “, of course!

A few months back, when the discussion on TMC about summer vs AS first started, I emailed SA and asked about it. He assured me they would be AS. I followed up a couple of more times before delivery, as it became clear here that 19” were summer tires, and I got additional reassurances. Then on delivery day (8/25) I spent about a half hour in dialogue with reps, and they went to research it. Seemed like it was the first time anyone questioned it at my SC. They told me the tires were AS and so I left with the car. Then I read another post here on TMC that night which confirmed they were NOT AS. So I emailed post-delivery tech at SC, and he responded that he thought they might have delivered my car with the wrong tires. It took a week for resolution, as he said the issue was being escalated within Tesla. Then yesterday I got confirmation they will be swapping my summer tires for AS. I asked how long it would take for new tires to arrive and was told “two weeks “, of course!

Which all seasons?

they have coded traction and stability control that has the tires dancing on what feels to me to be the perfect slip angle for best drive when accelerating hard
How would you describe this feeling/sounding? To me, when the tires aren't really well heated and I floor it, I describe this as a light shudder, or a slight vibration. Do you agree? I don't have any other plaids to compare to mine (until next week when the white one comes in) so I'm just trying to convince myself that mine is behaving correctly.

Thanks!

More Model S Plaid holds….I was scheduled to pick up mine tomorrow but I guess not anymore 😒View attachment 704485
I have a scheduled delivery today and haven’t heard anything from my advisor. Granted I never heard anything from her period. She sent one email last Saturday at 4pm “your car is here. You have to take possession by wed or we will release it. I replied and heard nothing back from her since lol
It looks like they are finally sequencing the orders, including white interiors now. Everyone that had October and November orders getting pushed, making room for those order prior to them with the white interior.
This may be the case. I have a red/white and also white/white and both now have dec edd. Previously the red was blank and white feb.

Almost makes me want to refuse today’s delivery. And wait for the white/white

Which all seasons?
I’m trying to find out. Sent this yesterday, and then followed up last night asking for name and contact information for my POC in service. Waiting to hear back.

Attachments

• 288ABF13-45C1-4908-833C-A5E354ABD563.jpeg
    288ABF13-45C1-4908-833C-A5E354ABD563.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 71
I'm spending more on electricity. Maximum acceleration every time I stop is expensive.
The efficiency doesn’t really drop from hard acceleration. A little bit because of the drag you achieve from speed. The big loss is if you have to get on your brakes to slow yourself down. If you can coast, not much of a loss.

@evan123 got theirs yesterday - white / carbon fiber. After changing to cream, the delivered car had white. Outside of a few, this was the first one. However, movement is finally taking place for the white interiors as most of us had February during the public apology email, blank the last two weeks and waking up this morning to dates. Check your account, they might have moved forward!
No change as of now. *sigh*

How is visibility at night with the Air80?

For the front windshield I used 70 for my Model X and on my son’s Model 3 we went with 80. It’s a personal preference but keep in mind some states will give you a ticket for really dark tint. Keep in mind the darker you go in the front the worst it is when driving at night. I’m leaning on the 80 since it’s great for nighttime driving. Still deciding on the sides and front for my new Plaid.

Anyhow this guide helps:

1630678218928.jpeg

1630678369385.jpeg

The efficiency doesn’t really drop from hard acceleration. A little bit because of the drag you achieve from speed. The big loss is if you have to get on your brakes to slow yourself down. If you can coast, not much of a loss.
I don't think that's true.

If you gently press the accelerator until you get to 60mph, versus flooring it until you get to 60mph, one takes more energy than the other (ignoring anything that may be recaptured by coasting to a stop). This is the same principal used by hyper-milers on ICE cars.

(Now I'm not so sure about this... ICE cars have to deal with efficiency bands due to their transmissions/gearing.)

Last edited:
Ordered Sep 26 2020, got auto converted to Plaid in June with a July estimate. August 1st changed to blank for a couple weeks then went to a February estimate.

Now says Oct 15th to Nov 4th.
And back to blank...

Like others have been reporting I now have an EDD again on my white seat order. Looks to be a slightly earlier range than others maybe due to my SoCal location.

Nov 2 - Nov 22.

Plaid White/White/Carbon Fiber/19"
RN11399

For the front windshield I used 70 for my Model X and on my son’s Model 3 we went with 80. It’s a personal preference but keep in mind some states will give you a ticket for really dark tint. Keep in mind the darker you go in the front the worst it is when driving at night. I’m leaning on the 80 since it’s great for nighttime driving. Still deciding on the sides and front for my new Plaid.

Anyhow this guide helps:

View attachment 704653

View attachment 704654
Super helpful tint scale. and good looking fleet!

I just want to touch on this "wheelspin" idea as it seems to be used a lot.
There are true tire experts on the forum who can speak to the details but tires provide their best grip at a slip angle greater than zero. Put differently, there is some movement of the rubber with respect to the ground when the tires are doing their very best work.

My first two wheel drive P85 would leave black marks which resembled bar code when launched. Power was adjusted so quickly on slip that the black and white of no slip/slip where incredibly close to each other. I'd not seen this on any ICE as it is just not possible to adjust wheel torque that quickly and to that fine a level (because you are moving physical throttle butterflies, manipulating timing or pulling cylinders).

Tesla has had eight years to up their game not to mention two more tires they can use to augment their traction control and stability. Like the most surperb linear torque demand to regen of one pedal driving, they have coded traction and stability control that has the tires dancing on what feels to me to be the perfect slip angle for best drive when accelerating hard. The real proof of the pudding for me was beating on the car on very wet roads. Other high end sports cars stability control would allow the car to yaw 10-15 degrees before catching the back end. The Plaid goes like an arrow. I've even tried upsetting it almost to the point of rotation and it maintains its composure. This thing is probably a real hoot to drive on ice :)

The point of the comment is that Tesla has managed to provide 1000 hp while delivering it two the ground to propel the car while doing it in a way that keeps even the least talented among us from balling the car up. You can not do that with "wheelspin".
OK, obviously the car is not spinning continuously, or in any way dangerous. I was not meaning that. Perhaps I should've said that it WANTS to spin more on the Pirrelis. You can hear it briefly before TC cuts in. I've personally never heard that in the videos I've seen of the 21s. That's what I was noting. Personally, I agree with you, and I also believe that no other automaker has better TC and stability management than Tesla. The precision is unmatched.

Reactions: neadams99
I’m trying to find out. Sent this yesterday, and then followed up last night asking for name and contact information for my POC in service. Waiting to hear back.
I'd appreciate knowing too. I guess I need to consider swapping to all season. Although Nashville isn't super cold, it does get to freezing many days in the winter. I might also drive to areas where it is definitely cold. Are there good all seasons (like the Pirelli Zeros all season) that would be good to leave on all year?