Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure most of those are "minor" cosmetic-ish issues, but really, on a 130k car is that really acceptable? No chance in hell
a German car would have even a single one of those issues found during pickup. Maybe I'm being too picky, but man, are
our standards so low now with Tesla? If you bought a new iPhone and it had a nick in the corner and a blotch on the back,
you'd take it back in a second. So why does Tesla get a pass for their shitty QC?

I'm not trying to be argumentative really, just trying to wrap my head around all this....
If I sat on my iPhone, I wouldn’t go that fast. So it’s a bit different.

This is NOT a discussion-turned-argument I want to heavily jump into; so this is pretty much all will say on this subject. The panel gaps have been a major issue in Tesla's history. But of the issues they've had, they have been minimizing them over the years. They are one by one picking off every complaint people have had with Teslas (New S interior quality, etc..). Panel gaps are next:

It's clear that originally, pretty much all of the money went into the powertrain and battery. Now, the money (because there is more of it), is going to the powertrain and battery, interior, and chassis development. Some of the issues I've seen have been borderline egregious, and others overly dramatized. I agree that a 130k car can and will do better. However, I think many of us believe (rightly so IMHO), that you aren't going to find a car this well engineered for the LR/Plaid pricing, or for pretty much any price for that matter. This company has effectively only been building cars for 9 years, yet it has overtaken the 100+ years of "engineering experience" the other companies are supposed to have. In a 10th of the time! IMO, we are taking Tesla's experience in powertrains and next-level engineering, and are associating it to a being a much older company than they really are. Not that we shouldn't expect good quality, because that is what will improve Tesla.

Plus, it's not like other manufacturers don't have quality issues. The initial ramp of the new Shelby GT500 (a car that can cost over 100K, and that is built by an established company), was terrible, with many QC issues that could not be excusable. The $10,000 painted stripes option was often done improperly, and had to be corrected, hoses under the hood came pinched, misaligned hoods and trunks, cobra badges falling off, etc...
The C8 Corvette went on sale and immediately started having quality issues, with leather dashes lifting, intake grills not being strong enough, crap paint, etc... The new Bronco has also gone on sale and instantly had soft top and wind noise issues, as well as surprise markups from overly greedy dealers. They rushed it.
Just today, it has come to light that Ford has issued a recall for the very thing they mocked Tesla over last year.

I think like many things in Tesla's history, QC will improve, as reports out of GigaShanghai have shown. That is Tesla's first ground up car factory, and people are loving the QC. Apparently there are almost no issues, and the cars are being built really well over there. The same will happen with Texas that hopefully goes online next month. Once Texas is fully online, the rumor is that Fremont will be fully redesigned to accommodate the new paint shop, assembly machines, etc... That's when we can expect truly world class quality out of a Tesla. IMO though, even before then, once this production ramp is done, they will be able to iron out all of the kinks in these cars. Elon himself said the best time to buy a car is before or after a production ramp. Like all other companies, things can and have gotten weird during.

(Disclaimer: This is just my opinion and mine alone, so I don't mean to set anyone off here. Please keep that in mind.)

I really like Lucid, and have $LCID also, but it's important to remember that Elon also wanted high quality at the start of production. Tesla actually slowed production in 2012 to do "quality over quantity". Apparently, it all went to crap when the M3 arrived. So we'll see where Lucid and Rivian are on that front in 5 or 7 years. What we are hearing is what Lucid is hoping to do right now. Hopefully it's the same in the future, but they will have some issues no doubt until they figure things out.

I always wonder if the problem with Fremont is the labor in comparison to China. Robots are Robots.

Delivery date has been finalized. I didnt get to choose though. My EDD was sept 22-28. My SA asked if I wanted to pick it up on Sept 27. I replied that I would like to pick it up the earliest possible date and thats what they choose for me.

February 20: 5-11 weeks
May 14: August
May 15: June 1-30
May 16: August
May 17: Blank
August 10: September 19-30
August 13: September 17-30
August 17 : September 15-30
September 11: September 22-30
September 15: September 26-29 VIN received
September 17: September 22-28
September 20: uploaded insurance, received delivery appt for Sept 27 6pm

MSLR RN 1145 OD 2/20/21 Blue/Black/19/FSD EDD 9/27 6pm Denver, CO
Good luck. Looks like your long wait is finally going to be over. Do post some pictures on Sep 27th. As we as your delivery experience.

I always wonder if the problem with Fremont is the labor in comparison to China. Robots are Robots.
I think much more that it is an adaptation to Tesla's standards vs. Tesla standards from the beginning. It's similar to having a designed-from-the-ground-up EV based on its own platform, vs. an ICE-turned-EV. Much better use of space and efficiency, and also more experience from Tesla having operating a factory for years, and knowing what they want from it. Can't wait for Texas and Berlin. :)

Just called Tesla and they pinged my VIN. Hasn't left the factory yet but the person I talked to said it'll probably closer to the 22nd-25th than all the way out to the 27th. It's about a 6 hour drive from Fremont so it would have to get on a truck today or tomorrow to be inspected and ready by the 25th.
Called again just now and they said it's in preproduction...getting conflicting answers...have a wrap appointment on the 27th. Don't know if this will happen in time and sucks to hold an appointment if it doesn't get here in time...

Plaid White/white/carbon fiber/19"
RN11399xxxx
VIN 5YJSA1E64MF443xxx
EDD Sep 22 - 27

Robots have to be built, programmed, calibrated, maintained, etc.

of course.

I think much more that it is an adaptation to Tesla's standards vs. Tesla standards from the beginning. It's similar to having a designed-from-the-ground-up EV based on its own platform, vs. an ICE-turned-EV. Much better use of space and efficiency, and also more experience from Tesla having operating a factory for years, and knowing what they want from it. Can't wait for Texas and Berlin. :)

I do agree that the paint will be much better in Giga Texas than Fremont. My Fremont Tesla's are not so bad haha.

end of quarter brings massive delivery spike but also seems to bring dozens of voices online giving us all kinds of reasons and doubts not to buy….
One source of doubts is why are there so many inventory cars on the Tesla site?

Must be over five, more so than last week.

They can't all be cars that were sitting next to the train tracks at Fremont, some are white and even red and blue.

Rejected deliveries? If so, what does that say about current build quality?

So 19” rear summer Pirelli’s are…. Shall i say, very expensive. Somehow this got lodged into my rear tire on my way to get a wrap.

$440 later…. Only had 250 miles on this tire. Unfixble.

F814F30C-6DC1-402D-B5B7-F7BDF5B9587F.jpeg