Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember they need to add weight to make it competitive lol. (Fat guys). Lmao
Made me laugh so hard! And I've gotta say, people may say bad things about the brakes on the Plaid, but the Plaid with like 500 pounds more people stopped way sooner than that McLaren with better brakes and only the driver. They don't seem to be lacking in this situation. :)

I'm still waiting for new Model S delivery (Europe), but I have some question to you guys who have cars right now:
  • What is power of onboard charger? It's 11kW like in Model 3, or it's 17kW like on old Model S?
  • What capacity have Tesla USB Stick for Sentry Mode?

Its 11kW for the US models, but we are single phase 240V. Since the type-2 plug has 3 phase, you might get higher power.

Made me laugh so hard! And I've gotta say, people may say bad things about the brakes on the Plaid, but the Plaid with like 500 pounds more people stopped way sooner than that McLaren with better brakes and only the driver. They don't seem to be lacking in this situation. :)
Yeah his brake point was late plus the carbon ceramics are crap when cold. Once warmed up they are Boss.

Remember what Elon told Sandy Monroe.

Either get one of the first cars, or wait six months after the first ones.

I know that's tough to take for the folks that have waited almost a year already, but that's straight from the mouth of Elon.
It's been a while but did he say 6 months? I thought he said get one of the first cars or wait until full production is underway which I think was late July or early August :)

OT: I have a loaner while my LR is in for service (tire swap and minor other items), and I really like the music and performance that’s displayed. Do we have the option to show that on our 2021 models? Thanks!

Attachments

• 7F665624-ABA8-42CA-9475-4BBAABB45863.jpeg
    7F665624-ABA8-42CA-9475-4BBAABB45863.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 75
These races were amazing guys! Plaid demolition like always, and even in the last race when they put 2 more people in the car, it looks like the McLaren was coming back only because the 163 mph limiter on the Plaid!

Cool video, very impressive.. Of course I was happy the plaid won but I really thought the 1000whp McLaren was going to win that first race lol.

OT: I have a loaner while my LR is in for service (tire swap and minor other items), and I really like the music and performance that’s displayed. Do we have the option to show that on our 2021 models? Thanks!
Not yet. One sorely missed feature. Manual leads me to believe (estimate?) the feature is coming. Take your best guess at timeline.

OK, so <sigh> where to start... I don't want to post a wall of text that you won't read, so I'm going to try and keep this short.

I started detailing cars back in the '80's as a high school job. I kept at it as a side business detailing high end exotics until about 6 years ago when my spine made me give it up for good. So I have a bit of experience in this area. :)

In my opinion, XPEL film is top notch. Yes, there are other good brands, especially since the PPF market has exploded the last few years, but XPEL continues to be the target the other players are hoping to match.

I was introduced to XPEL's self-healing PPF at SEMA in either 2013 or 2014. I was so amazed at the demonstration... it was a true ground breaking product. And honestly, it still is.

Anyway...

Getting your entire car PFF'd is a great idea, IMO, but as you've found out, it is also extremely expensive. If you don't mind paying the rather handsome price, and the PPF'er you're considering has a great reputation, go ahead and have them do it. You'll find that this is one of those "you get what you pay for" type deals. Don't try to value shop PPF installation! You're either going to end up with a cheap brand of film, a bad installation job, or both. Research the place(s) that you're considering, and get referrals. Don't go by user reviews off of Yelp and the like... call some of their customers and ask them personally.

And there's also an alternative to professional installation: Do it yourself.

While installing PPF isn't by any means hard, it isn't altogether easy, either. BUT, many places will sell you pre-cut kits for your car. And it is so much cheaper to buy these kits, that you can often time mess up many of the pieces, and still be money ahead by re-purchasing the parts that you messed up.

There are a ton of YouTube videos out there that will teach you the basics of PPF installation.

If you do decide to go this route, try to get a pre-cut kit. It is exponentially more difficult to apply PPF that isn't already specifically cut out for the panel that you're applying it to.

At a bare minimum, PPF the front bumper, the first 1/4 of the hood, the area just in front of the rear tires, the side view mirrors, and the rocker panels. Many places will allow you to specify the thicker, more impact tolerant films for these harsh environment areas, which I recommend.

FWIW. :)
Great advice. Appreciate it.

careful if its the same material as Track Armour (They're not intended to really be used up to the 3 month mark / Most use it for temporary use on track days) but from personal experience it works well but if you leave it on in the heat the adhesive gets really hard to take off and causes paint/clear coat damage

If you live in a hot state I would recommend not leaving it longer than a few days

I applied the stuff tonight and it's definitely super sticky. I'm a bit intimidated by the future removal. Maybe a hairdryer would work best here.

Any idea if I'd be better off with automotive painters tape?

Well...no model year 2022 for me...because...after almost 8 months of waiting...IT just happened folks! VIN assigned to my RN...

VIN 5YJSA1E68MFxxxx (RN11446xxx - ordered 2/5/21)! 😁👍:cool: Delivery says 10/5 - 10/14 and wants payment...um no, I'm bringing a Cashier's Check...so I called that (888) 518-3752 number for Tesla and spoke with a nice gentleman there who said the vehicle is still in Fremont, CA getting ready to leave and get on the train to the East Coast and then to South Florida...so likely delivery the week of 10/11/21.

I just emailed our local SC Mgr & FL RM, so I can schedule delivery/pickup! I'm excited yes...annoyed IF they make 10/1/21+ builds model year 2022 but whatever, I guess it doesn't matter, and now I'm finally getting my car after 8 months! 😃;)
Congrats. You've got my exact build, but I'm an RN1146. Hope this means my turn is coming soon.