Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may/may not re-activate Plaid mode and may/may not do some launches.
Yup. Just don't go around a corner any faster than Granny Smith, lest you be judged, labeled, and branded "UNSAFE!" ;)

Just amazing to me that you can't go around a corner at a reasonable rate or get dinged, yet you can go over the speed limit and accelerate like a mad man just fiiiiiiiine.

D'oh, sorry about that.... I'm guilty of doing exactly that.

Last off topic post from me here. Promise.

Well, right after I post this video, anyway. ;)

This guy's YouTube channel is chock full of nerdy information... right up my alley. Just throwing it out there for the other nerds among us... or am I the only one? AGAIN??? :D
I hate being that guy because there is plenty of other off topic posts in this thread. But if I know of a separate thread, I will try and post to it. I am no bot like someone else we know 😳 (kidding of course).

Last edited:
D'oh, sorry about that.... I'm guilty of doing exactly that.

Last off topic post from me here. Promise.

Well, right after I post this video, anyway. ;)

This guy's YouTube channel is chock full of nerdy information... right up my alley. Just throwing it out there for the other nerds among us... or am I the only one? AGAIN??? :D
You are not my friend! I really love all of the intricacies involved with EVs, and the Plaid is the most advanced so far!!🔋🔋🔋🔋

Interesting that almost everyone are seeing wrinkles in their MS Plaid seats, but personally, I'm not sure I really care about such minor issues like that, especially since it's likely that over time, the seats will get a bit wrinkled here and there anyhow. In fact, I would bet that almost every vehicle I've ever had actually had a few leather seat wrinkles at delivery (but I just never noticed or cared about them) and certainly after a few years usage, the seats almost always look "used" ...wrinkled, dirty, etc. Now, having said that, this will be my first Tesla and first time having the Tesla "vegan" leather seats so not sure if the wrinkles tend to occur over time or not with these seats, but again...meh, who cares in my opinion, when you're sitting in the seats anyhow? ;) Just my $0.02.
Interesting that almost everyone are seeing wrinkles in their MS Plaid seats, but personally, I'm not sure I really care about such minor issues like that, especially since it's likely that over time, the seats will get a bit wrinkled here and there anyhow. In fact, I would bet that almost every vehicle I've ever had actually had a few leather seat wrinkles at delivery (but I just never noticed or cared about them) and certainly after a few years usage, the seats almost always look "used" ...wrinkled, dirty, etc. Now, having said that, this will be my first Tesla and first time having the Tesla "vegan" leather seats so not sure if the wrinkles tend to occur over time or not with these seats, but again...meh, who cares in my opinion, when you're sitting in the seats anyhow? ;) Just my $0.02.
My peasant non-plaid MS has seat wrinkles too 😅

You can simply order the OEM wheel and/or whatever the current tires are through Parts/Service (just open a ticket via the app) but your paying Tesla labor rates for no good reason. I am always a fan of building a relationship with a local tire shop--super helpful if you need a tire patched in a hurry, and a lot of places will throw in free rotations, etc.

Tire prices seem to be pretty comparable for the same tire between Tesla and Tire Rack.
Interestingly, my Alpharetta SC guy told me to get tires from discount tires when I asked them to put new tires on my 3

Back from vacation and loving the car!! Just did my first wash.

I've included a photo of my passenger-side wheel arch. Some of it is more permanent. Some of the damage is clearcoat, so I'm hoping it can come out. This is only 300 miles in. I've ordered "Tracwrap" from Amazon for delivery today. It's temporary paint protection made to last "up to" 3 months. Should be enough to keep me going until October 22nd for my wrap appointment.

IMG_2762.jpeg

Edit: By the way, I too have some seat wrinkles. I'll be leaving them.

Need some PPF guidance/recommendations here for when the car gets delivered... Got the below quotes on a full matte wrap, leaning towards the more expensive one as their customer service has been superior so far and the shop looks a lot cleaner/put together.

Detail Authority - $6,500 XPEL Ultimate Plus (+ headlights/fog lights)
APS - $5,500 Suntek Ultra Film

As far as I know... Detail Authority removes cameras and everything so the PPF sits behind them (don't know what common practice is here?). Anyone in the DC Area have experience with either company and is there really any reason I shouldn't go with the cheaper option? Same warranty on both.

Appreciate any information at all... First Tesla, never heard of PPF before this forum... help.
OK, so <sigh> where to start... I don't want to post a wall of text that you won't read, so I'm going to try and keep this short.

I started detailing cars back in the '80's as a high school job. I kept at it as a side business detailing high end exotics until about 6 years ago when my spine made me give it up for good. So I have a bit of experience in this area. :)

In my opinion, XPEL film is top notch. Yes, there are other good brands, especially since the PPF market has exploded the last few years, but XPEL continues to be the target the other players are hoping to match.

I was introduced to XPEL's self-healing PPF at SEMA in either 2013 or 2014. I was so amazed at the demonstration... it was a true ground breaking product. And honestly, it still is.

Anyway...

Getting your entire car PFF'd is a great idea, IMO, but as you've found out, it is also extremely expensive. If you don't mind paying the rather handsome price, and the PPF'er you're considering has a great reputation, go ahead and have them do it. You'll find that this is one of those "you get what you pay for" type deals. Don't try to value shop PPF installation! You're either going to end up with a cheap brand of film, a bad installation job, or both. Research the place(s) that you're considering, and get referrals. Don't go by user reviews off of Yelp and the like... call some of their customers and ask them personally.

And there's also an alternative to professional installation: Do it yourself.

While installing PPF isn't by any means hard, it isn't altogether easy, either. BUT, many places will sell you pre-cut kits for your car. And it is so much cheaper to buy these kits, that you can often time mess up many of the pieces, and still be money ahead by re-purchasing the parts that you messed up.

There are a ton of YouTube videos out there that will teach you the basics of PPF installation.

If you do decide to go this route, try to get a pre-cut kit. It is exponentially more difficult to apply PPF that isn't already specifically cut out for the panel that you're applying it to.

At a bare minimum, PPF the front bumper, the first 1/4 of the hood, the area just in front of the rear tires, the side view mirrors, and the rocker panels. Many places will allow you to specify the thicker, more impact tolerant films for these harsh environment areas, which I recommend.

FWIW. :)

Back from vacation and loving the car!! Just did my first wash.

I've included a photo of my passenger-side wheel arch. Some of it is more permanent. Some of the damage is clearcoat, so I'm hoping it can come out. This is only 300 miles in. I've ordered "Tracwrap" from Amazon for delivery today. It's temporary paint protection made to last "up to" 3 months. Should be enough to keep me going until October 22nd for my wrap appointment.

View attachment 715019

Edit: By the way, I too have some seat wrinkles. I'll be leaving them.
careful if its the same material as Track Armour (They're not intended to really be used up to the 3 month mark / Most use it for temporary use on track days) but from personal experience it works well but if you leave it on in the heat the adhesive gets really hard to take off and causes paint/clear coat damage

If you live in a hot state I would recommend not leaving it longer than a few days

Interestingly, my Alpharetta SC guy told me to get tires from discount tires when I asked them to put new tires on my 3
Yeah -- my SC has been saying that to me for a few years--when they are super busy, they don't want to burn time on things like tires. For a while, my SC even stopped doing windshield replacement and sent everyone to a 3rd-party.

Just got a VIN MF449xxx. BLK/Wht with CF, 19's and FSD. EDD 9/28-9/30.
Congrats especially with the white interior!

Did you get a text inviting you to schedule your delivery too? I got the VIN and the text invite at the same time Sunday morning (also in Orange County). I don't know how to read the VIN but mine looks older than yours MF447xxx. 2000 cars older? Just hoping mine wasn't a car that has already been rejected one or more times.

Good luck.

Supposedly, if it's not listed here, then you're not judged for it. :D

And there's no mention of going over the speed limit, or acceleration... thankfully!
I'm sure that is not correct. Tesla clearly indicates that is not the only data that they consider. They are analyzing your driving data and your safety score. We also already know that hard acceleration is one of the things being tracked.

Last edited:
Congrats especially with the white interior!

Did you get a text inviting you to schedule your delivery too? I got the VIN and the text invite at the same time Sunday morning (also in Orange County). I don't know how to read the VIN but mine looks older than yours MF447xxx. 2000 cars older? Just hoping mine wasn't a car that has already been rejected one or more times.

Good luck.
No text, I just called and they said the car is in transit to Costa Mesa. Someone a few posts above stated that the "44" vins were made in September. Not sure how he/she knows. You can check the manufacture date (month and year) on the white sticker on the drivers side door post. Our 2018 Model 3 has a 99XX vin and it is perfect.
I am not sure if I would reject a car unless the paint is a real mess. I am pretty sure most other concerns can be fixed after delivery . Note those items that concern you at the delivery and make a list and take photos of items noted when you get home and schedule a service time ASAP.
Our model Y had a poorly aligned Frunck that I missed at delivery and that was later fixed at the service center...
Enjoy.

Last edited:
OK, so <sigh> where to start... I don't want to post a wall of text that you won't read, so I'm going to try and keep this short.

I started detailing cars back in the '80's as a high school job. I kept at it as a side business detailing high end exotics until about 6 years ago when my spine made me give it up for good. So I have a bit of experience in this area. :)

In my opinion, XPEL film is top notch. Yes, there are other good brands, especially since the PPF market has exploded the last few years, but XPEL continues to be the target the other players are hoping to match.

I was introduced to XPEL's self-healing PPF at SEMA in either 2013 or 2014. I was so amazed at the demonstration... it was a true ground breaking product. And honestly, it still is.

Anyway...

Getting your entire car PFF'd is a great idea, IMO, but as you've found out, it is also extremely expensive. If you don't mind paying the rather handsome price, and the PPF'er you're considering has a great reputation, go ahead and have them do it. You'll find that this is one of those "you get what you pay for" type deals. Don't try to value shop PPF installation! You're either going to end up with a cheap brand of film, a bad installation job, or both. Research the place(s) that you're considering, and get referrals. Don't go by user reviews off of Yelp and the like... call some of their customers and ask them personally.

And there's also an alternative to professional installation: Do it yourself.

While installing PPF isn't by any means hard, it isn't altogether easy, either. BUT, many places will sell you pre-cut kits for your car. And it is so much cheaper to buy these kits, that you can often time mess up many of the pieces, and still be money ahead by re-purchasing the parts that you messed up.

There are a ton of YouTube videos out there that will teach you the basics of PPF installation.

If you do decide to go this route, try to get a pre-cut kit. It is exponentially more difficult to apply PPF that isn't already specifically cut out for the panel that you're applying it to.

At a bare minimum, PPF the front bumper, the first 1/4 of the hood, the area just in front of the rear tires, the side view mirrors, and the rocker panels. Many places will allow you to specify the thicker, more impact tolerant films for these harsh environment areas, which I recommend.

FWIW. :)
From experience: PPF'ing the hood is lowest risk of all of the panels. I did my wifes Y hood with a precut (precut that was large enough to wrap around edges) and came out great after being patient, doing certain tips/tricks designed to get as much of the bubbles out as possible. (stiff squeegee, squeegee pressure/technique, angle etc). I'd say for a first time DIyer, I'd rate difficulty of a hood to be 7 out of 10. But after doing the hood? I wouldnt dare try say, the front bumper. Too many curves and risk of destroying the pre cut piece is extremely high doing it first time.

When my S arrives, I'll do the hood, and I'll have a local place do the bumper and those back arches that seem to attract stone chips. And Im most likely going to get whatever mudflaps are the most recommended by then as well. (as much as I dont want the look of them)

Last edited:
I'm sure that is not correct. Tesla clearly indicates that is not the only data that they consider. They are analyzing your driving data and your safety score. We also already know that hard acceleration is one of the things being tracked.
Darn. I haven’t come across a source yet that says anything other than the Safety Score thing.

I must do more research!!

Yeah -- my SC has been saying that to me for a few years--when they are super busy, they don't want to burn time on things like tires. For a while, my SC even stopped doing windshield replacement and sent everyone to a 3rd-party.
I didn't let a 3rd party replace windshield b/c Tesla requires a SC to confirm the camera alignment after install. Rather the SC take responsibility for the full job.

I think only reliable quantities delivered in white are this month and west coast for EOQ (except for that guy in KY or TN or somewhere, which is curious). We get ours in October...Florida's were probably on the production line last week, and NY tri-state and mid-atlantic this and next week. My guess!
I’m a W/W, CF, 21” Plus convert. 114125XX. My estimate is Nov/Dec in FL still.

Well, got it. Will add photos by end of week but so far so great…

Arrived at the SC at 10AM and the SA is cleaning a beautiful MSM Model S that in one hour would be officially mine.

Inspeciton of my VIN 441 was done with the check list in hand. I can honestly say I could not find anything wrong. Some residue on the roof window that cleaned right up. No panel gaps, paint looked good, no bumper scratches. No wrinkle seats. Did see the line where it looks like PPF was placed near back wheels but you really have to be looking. Had floor mats but no trunk cover. They will send and noted in file.

We had to head to ATL and wife was nervous (me too to a lesser degree). I never had driven a Tesla more than 5 miles and we were off on a 300 mile trip into a traffic heavy city. I drove around the SC to get use to regeneravie breaking. It was odd to use for at least 4 min and then it was great and wow what a differnece it makes.

My wife always drives as she gets a little car sick. So she was nervous as she knew I wanted to drive and she was scared to drive. But I drove and learned to engae auto piliot and wow, it is awesome. It kept lane and speed and was smooth even when we were cut off. My wife commented, ”well, it was you all along and it must have been the way you drove that made me sick!” She was fine and overwhelmingly impressed.

We had our first supercharger experience and man, it charged from 24% to 80% quicker that we could grab a bite to eat. Loved turning the AC on so by the time we walked back to the car it was comfortable inside the cabin.

I kept the car in Chill mode to ease wife in. On way home that will be changed. Have thoughts on yoke and blinkers but wanted to wait a few days to sum up everything.

But early impressions are this is an amazing piece of technological and automotive engineering that I will love for a long time!

More to come later in week!