Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need some PPF guidance/recommendations here for when the car gets delivered... Got the below quotes on a full matte wrap, leaning towards the more expensive one as their customer service has been superior so far and the shop looks a lot cleaner/put together.

Detail Authority - $6,500 XPEL Ultimate Plus (+ headlights/fog lights)
APS - $5,500 Suntek Ultra Film

As far as I know... Detail Authority removes cameras and everything so the PPF sits behind them (don't know what common practice is here?). Anyone in the DC Area have experience with either company and is there really any reason I shouldn't go with the cheaper option? Same warranty on both.

Appreciate any information at all... First Tesla, never heard of PPF before this forum... help.
470F17BF-0F53-4A84-AA9D-BB97FF855AAA.jpeg
0519B7CF-A65D-4EB2-9ECB-2980017C6B54.jpeg

Detail Authority did my plaid well, were informative the entire week and we will be returning in the future.

@jebinc , this is the long awaited Summer to AS tire swap promised at delivery on 8/25. Devon PA SC. Interestingly, I had speculated a few weeks ago about what Tesla would do with the Pirellis after the swap. They offered to bag them up and give them to me, so I accepted.
That's great! My SA told me the service approved the request to swap mine for All Season tires which is good. I was under the impression that they will be giving the summer tires back to me because what else are they gonna do with them? They don't sell used tires. Well, they can definitely find a use for them if they wanted to but I'll try my best to keep these tires too 😅
Thank you for sharing this. Do keep up posted on the ride quality please.

Damn I really should have gotten the 21" wheels...
Can always do like many here have done: get aftermarket 21" forged wheels for less than the price of the 21" Arachnids. Can then use the 19's for winter (assuming you have all seasons on them) or sell those. $4500 for cast alloy Arachnids isnt the best value out there..

Can always do like many here have done: get aftermarket 21" forged wheels for less than the price of the 21" Arachnids. Can then use the 19's for winter (assuming you have all seasons on them) or sell those. $4500 for cast alloy Arachnids isnt the best value out there..
Yeah I think that'll be the plan down the road. Not pumped to shell out $5K on ppf alone but this is an appetizing plan for the spring!

Yeah I think that'll be the plan down the road. Not pumped to shell out $5K on ppf alone but this is an appetizing plan for the spring!
many options out there. ex: These in 21" and in the spec (custom order/you pick your offset) that will fit the refresh are under $2500 and stronger than the cast Arachnids.

1632840282537.png

But there are many style options as well.

Last edited:
I'm sure that is not correct. Tesla clearly indicates that is not the only data that they consider. They are analyzing your driving data and your safety score. We also already know that hard acceleration is one of the things being tracked.
Hey Bull,

Not that I doubt you.... I'm sure you have a source for this, it's just that I'm having a hard time finding it. Any chance you could share a link to this information?

Everything I've found so far all says Safety Score and that's it.

I have seen GreenTheOnly's videos on how the FSD Beta tracks your eyes to determine whether or not you're paying attention, but that's the actual FSD Beta doing that, FAIK.

You can—it’s easy. There’s a website— epc.tesla.com. You login with your standard Tesla.com login. It gives you access to the parts book for your car. You can order the parts directly by typing out your request on your Tesla app for your car by clicking Service, Schedule Service, Other to place the order or you can call your local Service Center Parts or Service depts. Alternatively I’m happy to send you the front one I removed from my MS if you want it.
Thank you for the details on how it works. I have seen mention of an online parts catalog but not tried it. I’ll take you up on the Emblem if you’re looking to get rid of it! What did you replace it with?

Thank you for the details on how it works. I have seen mention of an online parts catalog but not tried it. I’ll take you up on the Emblem if you’re looking to get rid of it! What did you replace it with?
I replaced it with a carbon fiber finish emblem from Amazon (currently unavailable on their website). I really like it too. PM your address and I will send the chrome OE emblem to you.

@jebinc , this is the long awaited Summer to AS tire swap promised at delivery on 8/25. Devon PA SC. Interestingly, I had speculated a few weeks ago about what Tesla would do with the Pirellis after the swap. They offered to bag them up and give them to me, so I accepted.
@GrnSqrl Good call! My SC offered a similar swap, Pirelli's for A/S Continentals for $300... Was your swap offered "free of charge"? They also offered winter tires, like "Pirelli P-Zero Winter" at a 50% discount. Not sure I want Continentals (as I here those are pretty bad, if the same as the ones on the MYLR). Also not sure I want winter tires going on and off my rims every six months either. I asked about a deal on a winter wheel-set, but have not yet got a ruling on that.... Of course, nothing in stock, so I have time to decide what I want to do as they would have to order the tires/wheels I select.

Last edited:
They said it will look better tomorrow. (after it’s cured wiped down …)
Wow, gorgeous pictures!

And yes, it will definitely look even better after it has dried a few days, especially if you can leave it out in the hot sun. PPF will "shrink out" any installation marks caused by stretching, squeegee marks, etc., and will develop its final look after it has had a week or so in hot sun. You think it looks glossy now? Well, yeah, it does, but it'll look *even better* after a week in full sun.

Make sure you go around every body panel and look for areas where the PPF isn't fully stuck down. Make them fix even the smallest of these areas, as they *will* grow over time. Just the tiniest curled edge will cause a problem over time.

Congrats on a beautiful car!

Pre-cut PPF from Xpel costs around $2k for the full body for Model S. You're mostly paying for the labor cost. I have never had it installed on my cars. I think I would have considered it had it not been upwards of 7-8K. I'd much rather spend that much on something else, may be FSD 😂
I wouldn't want all those PPF edges catching dirt and wax, etc. My Tesla rear door PPF looks like @$$ around the edges after driving in the the rain. Looks like I outlined the pre-cut PPF with a black Sharpie marker. "No thanks" on the pre-cut stuff! YMMV.

Meh……if you’re driving, methinks you’ll see more of the top of her head?
Not just white interiors, cream shows the same date...I may have to put my order in a lot earlier that I thought if I want a car before my current MS warranty expires..
Or, just wait a few more months. I’m pretty sure you will be able to pick an inventory car, maybe even with a discount. On my last two Teslas, discount totaled more than $13K

I wouldn't want all those PPF edges catching dirt and wax, etc. My Tesla rear door PPF looks like @$$ around the edges after driving in the the rain. Looks like I outlined the pre-cut PPF with a black Sharpie marker. "No thanks" on the pre-cut stuff! YMMV.
I purchased a pre-cut hood for my Wifes Y. I requested that it be large enough to wrap around edges. The seller said "sure/no problem". They use a laser cutting machine to make the template. I was able to easily wrap around all edges.