Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if (and when) the new lights are available, if this is something an SC could upgrade? So long as the housing etc stays the same...who knows.

Could and will are two very different things. I have a feeling if it's the same housing, then it would be more likely to be a DIY upgrade than offered by the SC as a service. Although, I think if (and when) they update the headlights, they will be a fancier laser-array type and require different software, which is a whole 'nother issue.
FWIW, when Tesla upgraded the Model 3 headlights, the new units weren't compatible with the older cars.

Of course, history doesn't always repeat itself. And with the Model S being the flagship, who knows, maybe they'll make the upgraded unit plug-n-pray with older cars.

Been away for a bit. I'm not going to try and play catch up with about 100 pages. I'll assume business a usual in this make shift support group.

As for me...

I hit a raccoon last week at 85 MP. It pretty much exploded under my front right tire. I had a LOT of blood to clean off. I felt the car jump up when I hit it. I hope I won't have any lingering suspension issues. The next morning I passed what appeared to be the back half of a raccoon where I happened. I'm guessing it felt nothing.

And then yesterday I went to a friend's business to show him my new car. I backed in behind another car. About 5 minutes later, that person backed up without looking and hit the rear bumper of my Tesla.

Then this morning I heard the bottom of the front end scrape as I left a driveway.

Suffice to say, I am having a very bad week.
I scraped my front end twice already! It's gonna happen. Don't feel bad. I am getting better at hitting the "Raise Suspension" button!

OK, before the topic of PPF moves backward in the thread churn, one last thought for those of you suffering from PPF sticker shock.

I did mention in my last PPF wall of text that you could buy pre-cut kits to make the installation job easier. And that's true, you can, but these kits are still pretty expensive.

There is one other alternative... You can buy bulk rolls of PPF for very reasonable prices. Yes, it is harder to apply PPF that isn't pre-cut, but the learning curve isn't *that* steep. Check out this NON-affiliate Amazon link to 3M Paint Protection Film.

You can seriously mess up a lot of panels and still be thousands of dollars ahead by going this route. No, 3m film isn't the best in the business, but it beats the hell out of nothing. :D And once you get practiced up on PPF installation, if your film ever needs to be replaced, you can buy bulk XPEL (or another of the high end, high quality films) and replace it yourself.

And for guys looking for track protection: The linked film is easily cut out to apply to areas that need protection on track days. Skip the Trac Armor crap.

IMO, it's just too cheap/easy to go without PPF. Even if you can't afford the high end stuff professionally applied, you can do this. And it makes for a great excuse to spend some quality time with your car. ;)

For best results, you should apply PPF to a freshly polished surfaced. Even "paint correction" has gotten consumer friendly the last decade or so. No longer do you need a rotary polisher (which should only be used by a very practiced hand) to polish your paint to perfection. Meguiars makes very user friendly polishes that will work with dual action polishers, which are MUCH safer/easier to use than a rotary. A dual action polisher, some microfiber polishing pads, Meguiars polish, some really plush microfiber towels and a day of your time can get your car looking professionally polished.

Meguiars also has some very good YouTube videos on how to do this yourself.

Even though my spine has taken me out of the detailing game for other guy's cars, I still enjoy spending time with my car, keeping the paint polished and looking better than delivery day.

Car detailing is one of those things that has triggered my OCD since I was in high school back in the '80's, and I really have a hard time not writing walls of text about it, so this is all I'm gonna post on the issue. That's a gentle way of saying "I'm not gonna answer a bunch of detailing related questions." ;) Pretty much everything you could possibly want to learn/know about detailing is out there on the 'net, anyway. :D

It's not rocket surgery, guys... you can polish your car and apply PPF. Just takes a little time and effort.

FWIW, when Tesla upgraded the Model 3 headlights, the new units weren't compatible with the older cars.

Of course, history doesn't always repeat itself. And with the Model S being the flagship, who knows, maybe they'll make the upgraded unit plug-n-pray with older cars.
I find you guys awesome. Not only have you decided new headlights are coming but also are now analyzing their retrofit potential!

just awesome! Such creative optimism deserves reward :)

Holy hell. I would not be a happy man...
I'm not. I just got back from the "Tesla authorized collision shop" Their entrance is a steep sloped sidewalk full of gouges and scrape marks. Right away I knew this place was shady. Anyhow, they quoted me for a bumper assembly and lower rear cover at $3276.75.

They also said they cannot buy pre-painted bumpers, only a Tesla SC can do that, so they will have to paint match. No thanks. I'm in talks with the SC right now to see if they order the pre-painted bumper and install.

Next I have to get a quote from the detailer to reapply ceramic coating, and then send all this info to the offending driver. I feel a fight coming.

Back on topic for a post... ;)

I drove 131.6 miles down to Las Vegas yesterday to talk to an actual person about my Plaid order.

When I placed the order, the configurator page was showing an estimated delivery window of Jan-Feb. In fact, that's why I went through with the order, as I knew it was going to take that long for me to arrange for payment in the way that I wanted to.

Then the EDD kept getting updated, with the latest window being 9/28 - 9/30.

Hence the reason for the drive to talk to a Sales Advisor. I asked him if he could note in my order that I wouldn't be able to accept a car prior to Dec 15. He said no problem, they can do that. I then mentioned that it would sure be cool if they could add a field in the order that the customer could fill out, stating the earliest date that they would be in a position to accept a car. Sure would be nice for guys that need to plan out the logistics of such things. He stared at me with glazed over eyes... "uh huh, sure, that would be cool."

As of today, my order still shows EDD of 9/28-9/30. <sigh>

They did have one blue Plaid at the store that actually had an "Available" sign on it. I'm guessing someone either refused it or had some financing issues. I asked if I could spend a few minutes looking at the car. They unlocked it for me, and said have at it.

I looked for all the problem areas that guys have been talking about. This car had a black/CF interior. Zero seat wrinkles. The interior door trim matched up with the corresponding trim aft of the door. Fitment of all body panels was the best I've seen on a Tesla yet. I found one paint defect on the bottom side of the rear bumper (paint pimple) that wasn't visible unless you were on your back. Other than that one paint pimple, the car had zero cosmetic issues. It did have a very slight yoke worm that could only be seen from an angle.

It looks like they're getting in the groove with these cars.

Last edited:
I'm not. I just got back from the "Tesla authorized collision shop" Their entrance is a steep sloped sidewalk full of gouges and scrape marks. Right away I knew this place was shady. Anyhow, they quoted me for a bumper assembly and lower rear cover at $3276.75.

They also said they cannot buy pre-painted bumpers, only a Tesla SC can do that, so they will have to paint match. No thanks. I'm in talks with the SC right now to see if they order the pre-painted bumper and install.

Next I have to get a quote from the detailer to reapply ceramic coating, and then send all this info to the offending driver. I feel a fight coming.
FWIW, our rear bumper and truck frame has to be repainted by Tesla-certified body shop in order to fix the trunk alignment (which was f'd up b/c factory installed glass prior to tightening hinge bolts...WTAF). MY POINT is that the paint match was perfect.

FWIW, our rear bumper and truck frame has to be repainted by Tesla-certified body shop in order to fix the trunk alignment (which was f'd up b/c factory installed glass prior to tightening hinge bolts...WTAF). MY POINT is that the paint match was perfect.
The negative reviews I found with the body shop I visited was all about paint matching issues.

At any rate, I have not hit an animal on the road since I was a teenager, and no one has ever hit my parked car before. What the hell else can happen to the very first new car I have purchased, and the most expensive car I have ever owned. I'm expecting a jet engine to fall out of the sky tomorrow.

The negative reviews I found with the body shop I visited was all about paint matching issues.

At any rate, I have not hit an animal on the road since I was a teenager, and no one has ever hit my parked car before. What the hell else can happen to the very first new car I have purchased, and the most expensive car I have ever owned. I'm expecting a jet engine to fall out of the sky tomorrow.
Either that or someone will lose their lunch into your perforated seats when you're showing off your launch power.

More than likely a satellite. Wear a helmet.

Just got a call from Tesla Service Advisor if I was willing to pick up tomorrow a “similar“ Plaid. This one is in Fort Worth TX and it’s a blue, black CF interior with 19” wheels. My order is for a Blue, White CF interior Plaid with 21” wheels. I politely declined.

So if anyone in Texas wants this car give them a call. It’s from a canceled order.

Hey Everyone, this is my first post and I'm hoping you can provide some insight on my situation. I got my VIN number on 8/20, but after calling about 10 SAs over the last month, as of yesterday they say the car still hasn't shipped from Fremont. All have said they don't see any issue noted about the car, but they also can't explain why it hasn't moved to logistics yet. Any thoughts on why they haven't gotten my car on a train/truck to my location (Charlotte, NC) after over a month?

Hey Everyone, this is my first post and I'm hoping you can provide some insight on my situation. I got my VIN number on 8/20, but after calling about 10 SAs over the last month, as of yesterday they say the car still hasn't shipped from Fremont. All have said they don't see any issue noted about the car, but they also can't explain why it hasn't moved to logistics yet. Any thoughts on why they haven't gotten my car on a train/truck to my location (Charlotte, NC) after over a month?
Welcome to the thread! :)

Reactions: Phlier and impastu