Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE on my Order & VIN...sad, very sad and disappointing to say the least (especially when I see a few other MS Plaids w/ white/cf interiors being delivered)...

Freaked out yesterday when my account suddenly lost my VIN and all the documents (which I had already saved with the assigned VIN showing on all the documents); sent an email last night to my local Tesla SC Mgr & RM & then called that (888) 518-3752 Tesla number this morning. Received the below email from my SC Mgr at the same time they actually connected me to him on the phone this morning:

"Apologies for this inconvenience of being unmatched from this VIN. I did some digging to understand the reason, and it looks like there was a shift in production for similar reasons that has delayed your account multiple times. This VIN was not fully produced and out of the factory yet. When I did a deep dive for a full understanding, they let me know that this VIN will not be produced.

As this is obviously not the most convenient situation, please know this VIN was not allocated to another customer in California, it just isn’t being produced due to supply chain issues. I just checked your account for factory dates, and it looks like mid-October – mid-November is the new timeline. Again, I do apologies that this has happened to you, unfortunately this is completely out of our hands."

Wow! So, Tesla had a vehicle for me (in production) and assigned a VIN to my RN and Tesla account BUT then what? They realized mid-way through production that they didn't have all the necessary parts to produce that vehicle? So, they're claiming they're going to TRASH that VIN and reassign me a completely different VIN (whether that vehicle or a different one) later for possible delivery????? I mean, REALLY? I'm beyond disappointed and frustrated through this entire process (> 8 months now), and now they're playing MORE games by assigning VINs and then taking them away (claiming they did NOT reassign that vehicle and VIN to someone else local in CA) just a couple weeks before supposed delivery of the vehicle? And exactly WHAT parts are they missing now????? White seats again???? Carbon fiber again???? Computer chips????? WTF?!?!?!?!?!?! 🤔🤬

So, here I am again...playing the (yet another) 4-6+ week waiting game again for another VIN (which may or may not be taken away from me?). Although I do know I'll love the MS Plaid if/when I actually take delivery of it (by the end of the year....maybe?) BUT I can say with 100% certainty, Tesla has NOT gained a loyal repeat customer with me after this Tesla MS Plaid; it will likely be my first and my last Tesla unless Tesla can actually implement some serious corporate changes that improve the customer ordering/production/delivery experience. If not, I am so done with Tesla after this car. Period. 🤬
OMG! @sflgator, so so sorry for you and all these EOQ shenanigans. But, just know that many of us who reside in the "Golden State" are also not getting cars. Maybe, you'll end up with a '22?! Chin up, and hopefully, you'll be driving your beauty by year end. 🤞
I'm close to Fremont too and I've even told my SA to call me if he wants to book a sale (for Cash) for a similarly specked MS LR by EOQ. Crickets.... Btw, I've enjoyed all the variations on cricket pics you've been so good about posting herein. So, there's that. ;)

I can’t even begin to describe the EOQ shenanigans I have had over the past two days. Seven calls from seven different Tesla delivery folks from two different delivery locations 200 miles apart, and a couple emails from my SA…..NONE OF WHOM COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER AT ALL! They say the car is in Orlando where I live. Then they say it won’t be here until October 3 because they can’t find a driver to drive the delivery truck the rest of the way to Orlando. Then they say it’s in Ft. Lauderdale and they will flatbed it up. Then they say they will pay for my 2.5 hour Uber ride to pick it up in Ft. Lauderdale. Then they say they will find someone to drive it from Ft. Lauderdale to my house (picture some kid ragging out my $130,000 Plaid all the way up I95). Then Ft. Lauderdale calls to confirm I’m picking up my car today…in Ft. Lauderdale. I could go on…..

The latest is the car is in Orlando and I’m picking it up in Orlando tomorrow (Oct 1). I’ll believe it when I‘m sitting in it. I told my SA to go through it before I get there to make sure the car is perfect so everything can be fixed before I show up.

I feel like Lucy might actually not pull the football away this time! Naive, I know.

Yeah, that was actually the only "GIFT" I asked them for...is perhaps my new VIN & vehicle will be designated as a model year 2022 instead of 2021? But my Tesla SC Mgr said he has no idea...he said it's possible but doesn't know when they'll "changeover" to model year 2022 for the MS Plaid. They're all such buffoons, I swear! :rolleyes: :(

They are mushrooms, kept in the dark and fed BS.

We know who is really responsible for sales and CS...

UPDATE on my Order & VIN...sad, very sad and disappointing to say the least (especially when I see a few other MS Plaids w/ white/cf interiors being delivered)...

Freaked out yesterday when my account suddenly lost my VIN and all the documents (which I had already saved with the assigned VIN showing on all the documents); sent an email last night to my local Tesla SC Mgr & RM & then called that (888) 518-3752 Tesla number this morning. Received the below email from my SC Mgr at the same time they actually connected me to him on the phone this morning:

"Apologies for this inconvenience of being unmatched from this VIN. I did some digging to understand the reason, and it looks like there was a shift in production for similar reasons that has delayed your account multiple times. This VIN was not fully produced and out of the factory yet. When I did a deep dive for a full understanding, they let me know that this VIN will not be produced.

As this is obviously not the most convenient situation, please know this VIN was not allocated to another customer in California, it just isn’t being produced due to supply chain issues. I just checked your account for factory dates, and it looks like mid-October – mid-November is the new timeline. Again, I do apologies that this has happened to you, unfortunately this is completely out of our hands."

Wow! So, Tesla had a vehicle for me (in production) and assigned a VIN to my RN and Tesla account BUT then what? They realized mid-way through production that they didn't have all the necessary parts to produce that vehicle? So, they're claiming they're going to TRASH that VIN and reassign me a completely different VIN (whether that vehicle or a different one) later for possible delivery????? I mean, REALLY? I'm beyond disappointed and frustrated through this entire process (> 8 months now), and now they're playing MORE games by assigning VINs and then taking them away (claiming they did NOT reassign that vehicle and VIN to someone else local in CA) just a couple weeks before supposed delivery of the vehicle? And exactly WHAT parts are they missing now????? White seats again???? Carbon fiber again???? Computer chips????? WTF?!?!?!?!?!?! 🤔🤬

So, here I am again...playing the (yet another) 4-6+ week waiting game again for another VIN (which may or may not be taken away from me?). Although I do know I'll love the MS Plaid if/when I actually take delivery of it (by the end of the year....maybe?) BUT I can say with 100% certainty, Tesla has NOT gained a loyal repeat customer with me after this Tesla MS Plaid; it will likely be my first and my last Tesla unless Tesla can actually implement some serious corporate changes that improve the customer ordering/production/delivery experience. If not, I am so done with Tesla after this car. Period. 🤬
WOW, that sucks! At least you didn't pay them and then find out you might get your car in November before a refund...

I had a similar issue. I had one VIN assigned up until yesterday afternoon. I even had my lender send a check to Tesla tied to that MVPA as delivery was set for today. Well about an hour after they received the check, a new VIN appeared on my account. Delivery still happened today - but it was a mess getting things sorted with Tesla and my credit union. The two VINs were not far off from each other - but I was told there was no record of that first VIN, and that likely it was a VIN created but never assigned to a car going into production!

Finally received & installed the metal Plaid badge that looks very similar to the one from the Plaid event:

C274D6D4-1D6C-4A08-B616-C3F3CE5FDDFB.jpeg

35C293D2-6382-498E-AF4C-8665E5ECA048.jpeg

And EDD moves yet again, lost count of how many times. Now Oct 28 - Nov 17.

How do you know Tesla is lying? Because their lips are moving. I don't even have a car yet, and I already hate this company.

Just tell me the truth, is it March 2022? June 2022? Is it never coming? Just do anything but do not, do NOT make up some *sugar* date again so you can boast of high order counts on your damn earnings call. **** Elon, **** Tesla, **** Model S, **** this company. I'm out.

And EDD moves yet again, lost count of how many times. Now Oct 28 - Nov 17.

How do you know Tesla is lying? Because their lips are moving. I don't even have a car yet, and I already hate this company.

Just tell me the truth, is it March 2022? June 2022? Is it never coming? Just do anything but do not, do NOT make up some *sugar* date again so you can boast of high order counts on your damn earnings call. **** Elon, **** Tesla, **** Model S, **** this company. I'm out.
I had a horrible, awful, really bad purchasing experience when I bought my Model 3 Performance. It's a long, ugly story, that involved me having to drive 131.6 miles (each way) to the SC four times, countless phone calls, no one returning my phone calls, paperwork having to be signed three different times, lost registration paperwork, and Tesla's incompetence being exceeded only by Tesla's incompetence, etc. etc. etc.

All I can say is that in spite of the purchasing experience being that horrible, the two years that I've had the car have been the best two years I've ever spent with a car, (I'm 54) and has more than made up for the purchasing experience.

There is no doubt that Elon and company have a long, long, LONG way to go with improving their customer service, but IMO, the ownership experience takes the sting out of it.

I don't blame you at all for giving up at this point; they can only expect their customers to put up with X amount of ****, and once the **** meter has been filled, there's no un-filling it.

All I can say is that for 99% of people, the car is worth the nasty purchasing experience. After all, I'm getting ready to go through it AGAIN because to me, the long period of ownership is worth putting up with a few (or more) months of BS. YMMV.

Last edited:

That's terrible. Sorry you are dealing with this.

Joshua I will take better pictures later promise outside. Looks like you have the same build. Showing off all the tesla products in first view. The right car is a white model Y. Getting in it is much lower than the Model Y.

Love the Plaid. I updated the excel sheet. Show up under whites with vin now.

1. Doors a little janky in that you have to really close them with effort. Soft close does not close all the way. It tries to self lock but unless you closed with some force it does not close.

2. My Tesla App just keep spinning for this Tesla. I connected to wireless but connections seems slow still. Tried a hard reboot. Vent button for example does not work on mine yet.

3. Don't know where to add my "home" address yet?? Hard to find. Did homelink with garage opener successfully.

4. Getting ceramic and tints starting this weekend. Only about $1.1K combined. Not getting ppf, just cant justify the price in my head.

5. No idea yet how to engage autopilot. Not like the Y with the stalks. Getting out of the LOT was hilarious, I couldn't find the turn signals when I first left the lot. I picked up in Fremont not Dublin.

6. I did not receive floor mats??
That’s pretty normal for the doors with new rubber. Mind were that way for the first 1000 miles. The rest will resolve itself and you will learn. Although I’m still going to Tesla school.

Super, super sketchy business practices and that's why you shouldn't pay for the vehicle up front! I made it a point to let them know that I was not paying up front before inspecting the vehicle first; I would be bringing a Cashier's Check on the day of delivery and will hand it over after inspection. Tesla is sooooo F'ING SHADY!!!! Imagine had I already PAID for this f'ing car with that f'in VIN which they took away from me?!?!?!? SHADY BULLSH!t!!! 🤬 🤬 🤬

If you are right, remember the fish rots from the head.

Too bad you don't have a car you can jump on the roof on at the store, that might get you some attention.

Don't know. But I really thought they reassigned that VIN and that vehicle to someone else more local in CA to accept payment and delivery today for another EOQ "sale." However, I have in writing that they did not do so, although I have no way of checking on that right now. However, what I can say is that this ploy if done by Tesla or any other auto manufacturer like this, would likely be completely ILLEGAL! I had already saved and printed out all the documents with that specific VIN that was assigned to my RN. And IF that VIN and that exact vehicle goes to someone else specifically so they can get the $$ for EOQ today, then that's so f'ed up and ILLEGAL! Bad business practices and illegal activity!!!! 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 I was ready to contact the Office of Legal Counsel for the US NHTSA to report this illegal activity. They are claiming that the VIN will NOT be used and that specific vehicle could not pass through full and complete production to be released to anyone.
There are services to look up a VIN. Most cost something to get the report but will give you basic info by putting in the VIN. My plaid shows as record found but no info...my 2017 MS has more data. So I guess if you cared enough you could look it up in a few months to see if they were lying. At any rate, sorry for your ordeal. Hopefully when you get it the driving experience will start to erase the delivery headache.

Update on my repairs:

4. Passenger trunk alignment and passenger side skirt panel gaps are slightly wider than the driver’s side. They said they are within spec and just variances in Tesla casting. This would definitely not be tolerated with any other manufacturer.

Overall I’m pretty disappointed I have all of these issues with a brand new car but hopefully everything will get fixed. I’m pretty happy with how the car drives.
I’m glad your experience has been better with other makes however this statement just isn’t true. My last Mercedes had a terrible bumper to tail light alignment that the Mercedes rep said was “in spec” even though he wouldn’t tell me what that spec was. Also the windshield alignment was crooked by an eighth of an inch from side to side, the rep told me that’s impossible because a robot installs it. Don’t get me started on my friends Ford hood alignment.

I didn't know the car has soft close doors...oddly, it's one of the biggest things I miss coming from the M6. I tested it now and I don't see any way they would soft close, am I missing something?
No these are not soft close doors. The post might have been referring to the Model X soft close doors or wanting soft close doors. But Model S has never been soft close.