Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never cared for the company name of Lucid. It basically means clearly understood. That's a real aspirational name. I can see their advertising campaign now. A camera pans to a deep throated suave man. He stares into the camera and says "Two plus two equals four." And then the logo comes into view. Lucid.
…Swavay and deboner man….fixed

Oh great and powerful TMC brethren, what are the secrets to lowering my Wh/mile? I took a trip down the pacific coast highway this weekend from Monterey to LA and found that the advertised 402 is a sham and I should be happy if I break 300 miles on a single charge. In my first 1200 miles, I'm averaging 300 Wh/Mile... any tips on dropping that number? Granted I have spent a good amount of time on insane acceleration giving people heart attacks but that probably only accounts for 200 of those 1200 miles.
Same here, and I've dropped to 300 wh/mi. I was quite a bit higher a few weeks ago but I've slowed down a bit and I've been leaving the air off.
I also monitor my tire pressure regularly and adjust when needed. 19s: 42psi cold
Currently have 1,813 miles.

The price is definitely a notch higher. And I am not sure if that is really reflected in the build quality as others claim. I will follow @Tigers advice and check it out. The showroom is open to anyone during the week (on the weekend it's only for reservation holders).

I did a lot of research on the MS and drove it a few times. It's an outstanding car that just saw the refresh I was hoping for to place the order. And IMHO it's lightyears ahead of the traditional OEMs. Looking at their EVs reminds me of the "lipstick on a pig" meme - they are still very much like ICE cars, just with a few tweaks here and there, a mediocre battery, and an electric motor. Those OEMs rely on their reputation, their loyal clients, and their network to sell, not by introducing cutting-edge features and performance.

And one last thought about the complaining/bitching/ranting/apologies/theories: That is part of the waiting game. What else are you going to do?

Tesla makes it very difficult once you have driven or own their cars. They do *sugar* that makes you mad like the over promising and build quality things. So you go and drive a bunch of other stuff and you start to see what they can't do versus Tesla, especially from an EV tech or usability perspective. Then you get even more mad.

@Marcseamon I was being sarcastic and apologize if I hurt your feelings. IMO, it is a bit shallow for your first post into a 3600 page long Model S delivery chat room containing reams of similar and even sadder stories, and seek instant sympathy from this group. I’ve been waiting 10 months and some have been waiting over a year. Welcome to the misery-loves-company thread. As a since-departed colleague once said, some of us will only be here until we get our S, then will leave the rest of you in your time of need. Others stay and brag about their peacocks.
Not looking for sympathy, just some insight into others' experiences. I haven't seen the 3600 posts you mention and frankly find this forum very difficult to navigate.

Not looking for sympathy, just some insight into others' experiences. I haven't seen the 3600 posts you mention and frankly find this forum very difficult to navigate.
I've had trouble navigating the forum too with replies and links and what not. If you want some historical context on the issues the participants in this thread have experienced waiting for their Model S deliveries, start at this post from August of 2012.

Back then it wasn't easy to sign away $100k and then hear nothing just like it isn't easy now. I think we can all extend sympathy towards each other given how frustrating each of our experiences have been--it's communal commiseration. I know I don't speak on behalf of the broader forum (having only been here for a few months myself), but the sense that I've gotten is that we're about as chummy as the waiting room at the DMV...we're all waiting, it sucks, and it's out of our control, so we might as well crack a joke and strike up a conversation and hope our number gets called next.

OK, I know this is not the right thread to ask this, but I don't want to start a new thread, and I have a lot of favorite peeps here.
I need to install charging at my parent's vacation home. Why is it that the HPWC's on eBay are more expensive than a brand new one from Tesla? I mean, not the special edition ones, but the regular ones.

OK, I know this is not the right thread to ask this, but I don't want to start a new thread, and I have a lot of favorite peeps here.
I need to install charging at my parent's vacation home. Why is it that the HPWC's on eBay are more expensive than a brand new one from Tesla? I mean, not the special edition ones, but the regular ones.
Are there supply problems direct from Tesla? I figure their store would say "none in stock" like the adapters if that was the case. People might also think eBay is more efficient than Tesla Store - the store does take a while to ship sometimes.

Also could try your local service center - sometimes they have some in stock. Same with adapters.

Same here, and I've dropped to 300 wh/mi. I was quite a bit higher a few weeks ago but I've slowed down a bit and I've been leaving the air off.
I also monitor my tire pressure regularly and adjust when needed. 19s: 42psi cold
Currently have 1,813 miles.
Is 42 the recommended psi for 19s plaid? Was driving today and decided to check and was at 40 warm on my 19’s. Go up to 42?

I've noticed (new) things for sale on eBay nowadays are generally more expensive that buying it from a real retailer, and I have no idea why anyone would buy them. Perhaps they're counting on a sucker being born every minute? 🤣

I've noticed (new) things for sale on eBay nowadays are generally more expensive that buying it from a real retailer, and I have no idea why anyone would buy them. Perhaps they're counting on a sucker being born every minute? 🤣
That was exactly my thought. I was just wondering if I was missing something, like the older HPWCs are better for some stupid reason. I am going to run over to my SC today and see if I can just pick one up. I need to do the install in a few days, so I don't have a lot of time.

That was exactly my thought. I was just wondering if I was missing something, like the older HPWCs are better for some stupid reason. I am going to run over to my SC today and see if I can just pick one up. I need to do the install in a few days, so I don't have a lot of time.
In 2014 the wall charger was $1500, so you are getting a bargain now.

Fair point there on ownership, but that's kind of the point. I don't believe that the feds will allow Tesla to box out competition in the long run regarding charging, even if they own the charging infrastructure. I think they'll deem it "not in the best interest of consumers" and, like @AnselmDante mentioned, require compatibility in charging ports so that charging networks are fungible.
As long as other charging networks exist, the feds will not step in. This is the old AT&T (Bell) owning all the telephone poles issue.

As long as other charging networks exist, the feds will not step in. This is the old AT&T (Bell) owning all the telephone poles issue.
Personally, I think the government dropped the ball on regulation for this generation of technology. They broke up oil companies and telephone services, but Google, Facebook, and Amazon have been free to amass an obscene amount of influence and market share.

May not match your situation, but I had to replace my original 85 amp HSWC recently. I discovered that Tesla‘s current chargers operate at a much lower amperage. The 85 amp charger was available at a premium from private sellers. The price ranged from $850+ down to one I found for more like $550, new in the box. You may be seeing someone on EBay that is charging a “what the market will bear” premium for the older 85 amp. I don’t think that you can use it at 85 amps unless you have an earlier Model S that has the dual converter in it-which was an option in 2014.

On topic, I have had two more EDD changes as indicated in signature lines. I am not betting the bank that the latest one, Oct 23-Oct 29, sticks.

May not match your situation, but I had to replace my original 85 amp HSWC recently. I discovered that Tesla‘s current chargers operate at a much lower amperage. The 85 amp charger was available at a premium from private sellers. The price ranged from $850+ down to one I found for more like $550, new in the box. You may be seeing someone on EBay that is charging a “what the market will bear” premium for the older 85 amp. I don’t think that you can use it at 85 amps unless you have an earlier Model S that has the dual converter in it-which was an option in 2014.

On topic, I have had two more EDD changes as indicated in signature lines. I am not betting the bank that the latest one, Oct 23-Oct 29, sticks.
Yes, I do see some that advertise 80 Amps. That's right, I forgot about the dual charger option.

I got to see an 80 amp option in use with my buddies older P85D and it did charge damn fast. It was a destination charger in washington PA. Fastest L2 I have ever seen.
If my 85 KW MS is down to around 80 mi range, the 85 amp charger will take about 4-5 hours +/- depending on whether I set for full charge “trip” or daily use, temp, etc. (It goes peak rate of almost 60 mi/hour and tapers as it approaches full.) For it that is ~254 mi or ~240 mi rated range.