Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don’t miss the m5 at all? Mine is a 2020 if that matters.
I had a E39 M Sport 540 6 Speed in mint condition, and a mint low mile 2006 E55 AMG (supercharged 5.5 liter V8..one of the fastest sedans on earth in its day) before my 90D. (not even a performance..."just" a 4.2 0-60 90D). I maintained/worked on/babied the 540 and the E55.

But once I got the Tesla? Never drove them anymore. The tons of fumes coming out the back on a cold morning, that first shift from 1-2 in the 540 in the morning being stiff due to cold manual transmission fluid, waiting for the engines to warm up fully (which they never truly did with a 10mile commute to work, , so imagine the MPG I was getting), scheduling trips to Costco to wait in long lines for gas, not being able to warm those cars up from an app, and even if I were able to, they were in the home garage so warming them up might kill me with CO fumes), getting brake dust on my cleaned wheels...oh, and the maintenance..

I literally couldnt sell those cars fast enough. Especially when you factor in the 90D was as quick or faster than both of them, but with zero noise/vibration/harshness associated with gears shifting.

As much as I LOVED my long line of ICE cars back in the day? Never going back to that level of needless complexity and inefficiency needed for a gas engine and its associated transmission and exhaust system and cooling system to get LESS power than electric

I had a E39 M Sport 540 6 Speed in mint condition, and a mint low mile 2006 E55 AMG (supercharged 5.5 liter V8..one of the fastest sedans on earth in its day) before my 90D. (not even a performance..."just" a 4.2 0-60 90D). I maintained/worked on/babied the 540 and the E55.

But once I got the Tesla? Never drove them anymore. The tons of fumes coming out the back on a cold morning, that first shift from 1-2 in the 540 in the morning being stiff due to cold manual transmission fluid, waiting for the engines to warm up fully (which they never truly did with a 10mile commute to work, , so imagine the MPG I was getting), scheduling trips to Costco to wait in long lines for gas, not being able to warm those cars up from an app, and even if I were able to, they were in the home garage so warming them up might kill me with CO fumes), getting brake dust on my cleaned wheels...oh, and the maintenance..

I literally couldnt sell those cars fast enough. Especially when you factor in the 90D was as quick or faster than both of them, but with zero noise/vibration/harshness associated with gears shifting.

As much as I LOVED my long line of ICE cars back in the day? Never going back to that level of needless complexity and inefficiency needed for a gas engine and its associated transmission and exhaust system and cooling system to get LESS power than electric
Interesting, even when I had my P90D I still loved driving my e60 M5. I love working on it, it’s so peaceful.
One of the best ICE cars I’ve ever owned and will ever own.

Interesting, even when I had my P90D I still loved driving my e60 M5. I love working on it, it’s so peaceful.
One of the best ICE cars I’ve ever owned and will ever own.
oh i definitely still appreciate ice cars. And from a pure driving experience? Nothing quite like getting behind the wheel of a powerful manual transmission car, in particular. The connection of you/the car/the gears/the road, etc.

But would I ever go back to actually buying and owning one?

NO. For ME, it would be like going backwards. And yes, it partially makes me sad as I've loved gas cars for decades. But times are a changing...range, speed, acceleration, simplicity..and to think we are still at the early stages of EV's. Imagine what the next decade will bring

oh i definitely still appreciate ice cars. And from a pure driving experience? Nothing quite like getting behind the wheel of a powerful manual transmission car, in particular. The connection of you/the car/the gears/the road, etc.

But would I ever go back to actually buying and owning one?

NO. For ME, it would be like going backwards. And yes, it partially makes me sad as I've loved gas cars for decades. But times are a changing...range, speed, acceleration, simplicity..and to think we are still at the early stages of EV's. Imagine what the next decade will bring
I understand your reasons. But I drove a Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 this year and I've NEVER driven a car that I felt more connected to. Driving through corners it was if they were not even there. The car was just glued to the road. It was amazing! I definitely would not want it for a daily driver, but for the weekends to have some fun? OMG! It is the most fun you can have with your pants on! Unfortunately, after I drove the car, I looked into purchasing one with the options I would like. Porsche has a plethora of options for every model designed to take your money. Optioned as I would have liked, the car was almost the same price as a new Plaid. If you want to go with a 911, with options it's easily over $200k. Not that I can't afford it, but I can't justify it with the price point of the Plaid. When you factor in maintenance costs and insurance and the ever-creeping upwards cost of gas..............well............you get the idea?

So you have more fun driving around with your pants off?! Damn ok.....🤷‍♂️
I said it's the most fun you can have with your pants on, I didn't say I drove with my pants off, but I guess the fun factor in that case would depend on who is in the passenger seat? I wouldn't expect a bot to understand that type of fun?:rolleyes:

I said it's the most fun you can have with your pants on, I didn't say I drove with my pants off, but I guess the fun factor in that case would depend on who is in the passenger seat? I wouldn't expect a bot to understand that type of fun?:rolleyes:

As one who drives with my pants off, I can attest almost any car is made fun.

No but you said it was the most fun you can have with your pants on....logically that means that driving with your pants off would be the next level! And what would you have in the seat next to you? 4680 cells in a bin with a titling screen module?🙂

• Funny
Reactions: neadams99 and Pdubs
I understand your reasons. But I drove a Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 this year and I've NEVER driven a car that I felt more connected to. Driving through corners it was if they were not even there. The car was just glued to the road. It was amazing! I definitely would not want it for a daily driver, but for the weekends to have some fun? OMG! It is the most fun you can have with your pants on! Unfortunately, after I drove the car, I looked into purchasing one with the options I would like. Porsche has a plethora of options for every model designed to take your money. Optioned as I would have liked, the car was almost the same price as a new Plaid. If you want to go with a 911, with options it's easily over $200k. Not that I can't afford it, but I can't justify it with the price point of the Plaid. When you factor in maintenance costs and insurance and the ever-creeping upwards cost of gas..............well............you get the idea?
TOTALLY understand. My brother has a Panamera S (or whatever the designation is. I just know its FAST) and even in that (luxury sport sedan, not a handling beast like a 911) and the drivetrain in that is amazing. The dual clutch shifting in milliseconds, combined with the sounds of the engine and exhaust are pure perfection.

Would I personally desire to own one over a refresh Plaid or even LR?

No. Im so addicted to a car with zero gears and the max acceleration being on tap at a milliseconds notice with zero drama associated with noise of engine revs, kickdown of tranmission, etc? That I just cant go back. (apologies for sounding like a broken record).

As one who drives with my pants off, I can attest almost any car is made fun.
Watch out for that seat belt buckle, Ala all about Mary
1636738055986.jpeg

That was my first choice but my girl saw red plaid and forced me to order one. I told her I’ll take the delivery of whichever comes first. Miraculously, I got it 2 weeks after the order so couldn’t pass. I’m going to get it wrapped next week. I cannot decide between xpel ultimate and xpel stealth. Any suggestions?
I'm planning to wrap my MS red in stealth, I think it's going to look stellar.