Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 733094MDelayed until after Thanksgiving. Anyone else hearing this or is it “ish”.
This could be one of those instances where Tesla changed microcontrollers in production to circumvent the chip shortage before the finalized firmware was available, which is very impressive and demonstrates how quickly Tesla can implement production changes. (Just a guess as I don’t even know what a “Center Console Control Module” is!)

I washed SpaceBall1 yesterday, then applied a decon / fallout spray... Oh my god - The whole car bled purple... there was just so much ferrous fallout material on the paint... unbelievable! reminder for folks - decon wash ASAP!

Guessing your car did some time near the train tracks in Fremont...

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. The absence of a media department to answer questions, hold launch events, deliver accurate information, creat press materials, etc only compounds the issue.

However, I do not believe that the lack of easily accessible information abdicates a journalist from delivering accurate information. Journalism is currently about the production of content more than the integrity of the content. In this case it would take, quite literally, a 30 second look under vehicle to see that it is completely different. And I’m quite certain that there is no confusion about the upgraded motors in the Plaid, which would be noteworthy in any ICE vehicle. However, here, it’s hardly worthy of mention.

The level of refresh is not difficult information to obtain. But it requires thinking and not simply having a bias towards video production and clicks. It requires more research than Google. Actually it doesn’t, but giving the benefit of the doubt here, it could take a bit more time to accumulate good information. They simply do not care.

Tesla could control the narrative, no doubt. But journalists should check themselves as well. And if they do not want to do the research and do not want to have a thorough understanding, perfectly fine as well, but the comment of a 10-year old sedan should not be made. It was made only to make the S seem like it‘s accomplishments are somehow easy to acheive, and yet it’s still so much faster. That the car isn’t special or well engineered, it’s just old and taken for granted that it’s faster. As in, of course the EV is going to beat the other cars by over a second, it’s an EV. It’s even an OLD EV.

The more accurate, and no less interesting, comment could have simply been “The Tesla looks like the S always has, but we do not know what lies within”. And then from there go on a rant about how Tesla doesn’t give any info to anyone, ever.

Then I could have saved all of this typing. 😬
Brilliantly stated. Elon needs to read this.

Brilliant.

I know it’s late on Sunday and we are all going to bed early so we may welcome the work week with energy and enthusiasm, but I have to ask. How many of us have or are going to put down the $50,000.00 to reserve a Roadster? I can’t believe that I’m actually thinking about it. I believe it must be the ”Plaid Syndrome“ that has gotten to me. Just curious what everyone else is thinking.
The thought never occurred to me. The Plaid is already fast enough if not too fast. The joy of the car is its docile nature as a daily driver that lets you ignore the ridiculous speed if you desire.

The Roadster will look different and thus it will be a different, and new, Tesla. Apart from that, physics is your enemy so trying to use it as a sports car will lead to disappointment. I'm sure Tesla will try but 5k lbs is 5k lbs (or there abouts) as they still need a large battery to provide the 1 MWatt of extended impulse energy to get the performance. I simply can not believe I am typing 1 MWatt; its simply mind numbing but that is what I get very close to when I multiply battery voltage times current draw from some of the Plaid CAN bus data I've seen.

So, the Roadster will likely be marginally quicker than the Plaid, cost a lot more and likely be not very useful going around corners or stopping. It would seem to me that a Plaid plus a M5CS, GT3, Evora,,,, or Atlantic as a track toy would make more sense. But hey, we are talking expensive cars here so sense really does not factor in.

The thought never occurred to me. The Plaid is already fast enough if not too fast. The joy of the car is its docile nature as a daily driver that lets you ignore the ridiculous speed if you desire.

The Roadster will look different and thus it will be a different, and new, Tesla. Apart from that, physics is your enemy so trying to use it as a sports car will lead to disappointment. I'm sure Tesla will try but 5k lbs is 5k lbs (or there abouts) as they still need a large battery to provide the 1 MWatt of extended impulse energy to get the performance. I simply can not believe I am typing 1 MWatt; its simply mind numbing but that is what I get very close to when I multiply battery voltage times current draw from some of the Plaid CAN bus data I've seen.

So, the Roadster will likely be marginally quicker than the Plaid, cost a lot more and likely be not very useful going around corners or stopping. It would seem to me that a Plaid plus a M5CS, GT3, Evora,,,, or Atlantic as a track toy would make more sense. But hey, we are talking expensive cars here so sense really does not factor in.
I've done a lot of looking into the Roadster, and your summary is quite good, but may I offer another view: 4680s with structural pack. This is something not even explored when people talk about the Roadster for the most part. Yeah the Plaid is pretty quick, making just over 800kW from the battery (2300 amps*355v under load), but this thing will be lighter, AND have more power. Based on some calculations I've seen, that thing will be a monster. It won't be marginally quicker. It will likely be approaching a full second quicker on the 1/4 mile. You have to believe Tesla is going to try and beat the Nevera with the smackdown of being 1/10 the price.

If you factor in a conservative guess on energy density at pack level, and then factor in the structural pack, the car will roughly weigh between 4200 and 4600 pounds. And if you factor that energy density of the new cells along with the lower weight, the Roadster doesn't need 200kWh anymore. Now it's more like 140-160kWh. While potentially having higher range!

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the Roadster, as it will be Tesla's first try at a hypercar, but of course for supercar money; a great feat. Of course we'll have to see, but I have a good feeling about it.😄👍

I've done a lot of looking into the Roadster, and your summary is quite good, but may I offer another view: 4680s with structural pack. This is something not even explored when people talk about the Roadster for the most part. Yeah the Plaid is pretty quick, making just over 800kW from the battery (2300 amps*355v under load), but this thing will be lighter, AND have more power. Based on some calculations I've seen, that thing will be a monster. It won't be marginally quicker. It will likely be approaching a full second quicker on the 1/4 mile. You have to believe Tesla is going to try and beat the Nevera with the smackdown of being 1/10 the price.

If you factor in a conservative guess on energy density at pack level, and then factor in the structural pack, the car will roughly weigh between 4200 and 4600 pounds. And if you factor that energy density of the new cells along with the lower weight, the Roadster doesn't need 200kWh anymore. Now it's more like 140-160kWh. While potentially having higher range!

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the Roadster, as it will be Tesla's first try at a hypercar, but of course for supercar money; a great feat. Of course we'll have to see, but I have a good feeling about it.😄👍

Hopefully by the time the Roadster is out in 2024 or 2025, they reconsider the pricing. $50-60k more than a Plaid Model S is just stupid for the base model. It's likely to do 0-60 is .1 or .2 seconds faster, at most. By then, I would expect the price of the Plaid to be $100k or less.

Also, would be crazy if they could get something like 750 miles of range or something out of this thing. Needs a mostly CF body or something to justify that kind of price for what is essentially a smaller Plaid Model S.

Random question of the day (sorry, but we all know that's what this thread really is at this point!). Anyone with a BMW X3 or X5 (or comparable) able to comment on trunk space in the new S? Sounds like they trimmed down the space a bit from the pre-refresh and now I don't have a good mental image of relative storage vs. a small or mid-sized SUV.

To make it relevant: as delivery day draws close at last, the better half has decided to engage and is asking probing questions about storage capacity vs. "a nice little Volvo". Help me.

Hopefully by the time the Roadster is out in 2024 or 2025, they reconsider the pricing. $50-60k more than a Plaid Model S is just stupid for the base model. It's likely to do 0-60 is .1 or .2 seconds faster, at most. By then, I would expect the price of the Plaid to be $100k or less.

Also, would be crazy if they could get something like 750 miles of range or something out of this thing. Needs a mostly CF body or something to justify that kind of price for what is essentially a smaller Plaid Model S.
A good thing to remember though, is there's much more to performance than 0-60. Way more. On that front only I agree with you, as I could see a 1.90 for the Roadster and not much more. But after that will be a world of difference. It will likely pull the Plaid almost as hard as the Plaid pulls a Taycan. And yeah I hope pricing can stay the same. That would be amazing if they can pull that off, as I that alone would drive it up by then.

Yeah for range, it's a balance thing. They could probably get 800 miles out of a 200kWh pack, but then it would be a pig, and that's really bad for the track. So they could brush 700 miles with a much smaller pack at around 150kWh, save weight, and also actually help the range with that weight decrease alone. Should be a totally groundbreaking car!

This could be one of those instances where Tesla changed microcontrollers in production to circumvent the chip shortage before the finalized firmware was available, which is very impressive and demonstrates how quickly Tesla can implement production changes. (Just a guess as I don’t even know what a “Center Console Control Module” is!)
that is EXACTLY my belief for prior holds as well - I think Tesla was using some 19 different microcontrollers, so I would imagine they needed 19 firmware "modules" to address each different microcontroller. and now a 20th..
I think Tesla is less of a car company and more of a software company where the platform is a car. or maybe solar cells. or maybe robots.
I'm sure they'll have it working again, "in two weeks"
seriously though, if they've gone through this 18 or 19 other times, they should be fairly adept - have a segregated "BIOS" that is affected by the microcontroller, and then have the programmers tie in the interface with the requirements of the new microcontroller.
I did low level (assembler) programing in college - it's not fun, but if you know the chips inputs and outputs, you can remap pretty quickly. then i guess it's a matter of testing and burning in.
it would be interesting if the dusty/bastard lot also had test vehicles where they can take a board out, slap a new board (microcontroller) in and play around - but I doubt they'd have needed 452 of them - maybe 5 or 10 at most for testing.

A good thing to remember though, is there's much more to performance than 0-60. Way more. On that front only I agree with you, as I could see a 1.90 for the Roadster and not much more. But after that will be a world of difference. It will likely pull the Plaid almost as hard as the Plaid pulls a Taycan. And yeah I hope pricing can stay the same. That would be amazing if they can pull that off, as I that alone would drive it up by then.

Yeah for range, it's a balance thing. They could probably get 800 miles out of a 200kWh pack, but then it would be a pig, and that's really bad for the track. So they could brush 700 miles with a much smaller pack at around 150kWh, save weight, and also actually help the range with that weight decrease alone. Should be a totally groundbreaking car!

Wouldn't it be tough to sit in a roaster for a long haul trip, that the 700 range would enable? I often think of my NC MX-5 (aka, Miata). It was a killer around town, short haul car on rails; loved it. Would be very uncomfortable after driving it on a long 4+ hour haul. YMMV.

Sorry for posting this here, and not in a separate thread, but the input fro
Question for the group: my lease on my 75D, done through Tesla, is coming to its end next month. I looked at Carvana, et al, for options to sell the car instead of returning it. My offers exceed my lease buy-out by a few thousand dollars. One benefit is that I have a large scrape on my rear bumper that I would not have to repair (estimate of about $1,000).

Apparently, at least according to Carvana, Tesla does not allow 3rd party buy-outs. I guess it seems that I would need to buy the car myself and then sell it. That is a significant chunk of change. I certainly do not have that much on hand.

What are my options here? Do I get a loan? Is there a simplified way of managing this? I guess if I do buy the car, I could even sell it privately for even more. The used car market is hot.
m here has been awesome.
Question for the group: my lease, through Tesla, is coming to its end next month. I looked at Carvana, et al, for options to sell the car instead of returning it. My offers exceed my lease buy-out by a few thousand dollars. An additional benefit is that I have a large scrape on my rear bumper that I would not have to repair (estimate of about $1,000).

Apparently, at least according to Carvana, Tesla does not allow 3rd party buy-outs. I guess it seems that I would need to buy the car myself and then sell it. That is a significant chunk of change. I certainly do not have that much on hand.

What are my options here? Do I get a loan? Is there a simplified way of managing this? I guess if I do buy the car, I could even sell it privately for even more. The used car market is hot. I am just not sure if I want to go through the effort.
Similar situation here. I'd owe Tesla $1100 to turn the car in for their estimated damage when they came to inspect. Instead I found a buyer who was willing to pay for my rather really cheap ask before taking delivery of the car. I bought the car from Tesla already. My state does not require me to pay tax on this purchase. Pay attention to that detail. The buyer could turn around and sell it for a $10,000 profit immediately. I just did not want to deal with the hustle. So, my advice: list it.

Similar situation here. I'd owe Tesla $1100 to turn the car in for their estimated damage when they came to inspect. Instead I found a buyer who was willing to pay for my rather really cheap ask before taking delivery of the car. I bought the car from Tesla already. My state does not require me to pay tax on this purchase. Pay attention to that detail. The buyer could turn around and sell it for a $10,000 profit immediately. I just did not want to deal with the hustle. So, my advice: list it.

Agreed, "list it," and not "love it"! 😁

Wouldn't it be tough to sit in a roaster for a long haul trip, that the 700 range would enable? I often think of my NC MX-5 (aka, Miata). It was a killer around town, short haul car on rails; loved it. Would be very uncomfortable after driving it on a long 4+ hour haul. YMMV.
Yeah probably lol! Totally agreed for a road trip. I'm not sure how the comfort side may be, but I think this may be another misconception about range. A lot of people believe that oh we don't need over 400 miles as people need to stop after that period of time on a road trip. Screw that lol! I think about range from a daily usability standpoint. Think about the endurance on tracks like the Nurburgring! Or what if I really love my car, and I just want to go drive it around for the whole day, run errands, floor it at every light, and not have to worry about energy consumption? Or if I'm on the Autobahn, and I wanna cruise at 180 mph for a long distance. Pretty much for any car IMO, a really high range makes sense, as there are so many use cases for it. Offroad where there are no chargers, on track, or even just as daily drivers driving around with the extra peace of mind, it's always going to be useful.😃