Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery at the Charlotte NC center in a couple hours. MSLR White/White. Will the dealer remove the front license plate or should I not even bother to ask?

Also, headed for PPF and window tint tomorrow morning (20%). My shop uses XPEL. I thought about going with XPEL stealth but not sure how that will look on white. Also the guy at the shop said he thinks ultimate will look better (on a white car). If it was black or grey he would do stealth. Any thoughts?

Don't bother with the plate. DYI with dental floss and glue gone.

Suggest focus on the delivery checklist and ensure items found discrepant are noted with a due bill.

Wrap and other stuff can wait. Just avoid gravel trucks on the way home!

Enjoy your new car and post pics please.

Last edited:
I too would suggest waiting at least a few days for the aftermarket goodies and tints and what not. Someone here posted finding a paint defect AFTER the car was PPF'ed if I recall.

Zero risk, some reward in waiting a few days. Ive never owned any car that suddenly picked up tons of nicks and dings and scratches in years of driving them, much less over the course of like, 7 days.

So I was planning to upgrade from my 2014 MS85 next year, but just noticed that if you go in to order now, the estimated delivery is "November 2022".

WTF Tesla? How can orders for a car currently in production now be a full calendar year out for delivery? Good grief.
Its even worse if you choose a base white/black with 19" wheels, pushes out to March 2023. Insane.

So I was planning to upgrade from my 2014 MS85 next year, but just noticed that if you go in to order now, the estimated delivery is "November 2022".

WTF Tesla? How can orders for a car currently in production now be a full calendar year out for delivery? Good grief.
As of last night, ordering a Plaid with FSD and with the $4500 cast alloy wheels would get you delivery in about 3 weeks from now.
Higher priced cars take precedent over lower priced

It's the new normal now due to chip shortage. I ordered a 911 and the wait is 2-3 years.

Additionally, the Tesla lease end terms do allow you to buy the car or sell it to a dealer of which, I believe, Carvana is and therefore you could sell it to them. You're within the time to start the car return in your my tesla account. When you log in this will be one of the available options to you.
So weird. I just logged in to my account and chose the "sell car to dealer " option, and got an error that I already have a request in progress. I did not do that. Is it possible that one of the 3rd party vendors I got quotes from started this?

I can't get anyone from Tesla on the phone, so I am going to run over to my local sales center at lunch.

So weird. I just logged in to my account and chose the "sell car to dealer " option, and got an error that I already have a request in progress. I did not do that. Is it possible that one of the 3rd party vendors I got quotes from started this?

I can't get anyone from Tesla on the phone, so I am going to run over to my local sales center at lunch.
This looks like will turn into a two-party exchange between you and I. Tesla started the return process for you. There is a dedicated line for lease. They always answer. They will stop that and allow you to star another request, The Service Center unlikely to be helpful.

Is anyone else seeing their delivery date pushed back farther? I ordered a long range S, gray with 21" wheels back in May '21. Originally Sept delivery, then October, November, but the last three weeks was Dec 10th-30th. I checked this morning and delivery is now Feb 6th-Mar 6th. I feel like others are getting theirs before me.

Yes, and yes.

But consider there are still battery day orders unfilled.

Its even worse if you choose a base white/black with 19" wheels, pushes out to March 2023. Insane.
Yeah I told my wife I might be able to leverage the value of my MSLR into a profitable sale to the impatient, and bridge that gap to a Plaid.

Just kidding. Going a year and a half without my MS would kill me.

Is anyone else seeing their delivery date pushed back farther? I ordered a long range S, gray with 21" wheels back in May '21. Originally Sept delivery, then October, November, but the last three weeks was Dec 10th-30th. I checked this morning and delivery is now Feb 6th-Mar 6th. I feel like others are getting theirs before me.
Yep…. My EDD started today, and when I checked this morning I was kicked back two weeks.

Hopefully by the time the Roadster is out in 2024 or 2025, they reconsider the pricing. $50-60k more than a Plaid Model S is just stupid for the base model. It's likely to do 0-60 is .1 or .2 seconds faster, at most. By then, I would expect the price of the Plaid to be $100k or less.

Also, would be crazy if they could get something like 750 miles of range or something out of this thing. Needs a mostly CF body or something to justify that kind of price for what is essentially a smaller Plaid Model S.
But perhaps they can address the relative deficiencies in the Plaid as far as handling and breaking are concerned in the base Roadster to justify the price delta?

Last edited: