Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At what point in the process does a VIN get assigned? My SA says the car is being built and is expected to clear the factory on December 10th. But I have no VIN and EDD of 12/18-12-31. Is my SA just talking out of his ass or is a VIN assigned after the car clears the factory?
VIN is probably internally assigned pre-build process. But it does not hit customer facing portals until it completed, since there could be a manufacturing defect and the car needs to be scrapped.

No one really knows what "clear the factory" dates mean but Tesla. But you could infer that date would be its completion date and you would see a VIN on or shortly after (within a day) of that date. If that date means it has completed build process.

I would almost buy the car just to have the opportunity to fill one of these things out.

Before EM decides, "The best communication is no communication"
I haven’t responded to my survey, if there’s anything you want me to include, DM me.

I have mixed feelings on getting the MSLR now, I’m enjoying the MY. I could save money and get a MYP or M3P instead, as these often show up in inventory at the EOQ.

At what point in the process does a VIN get assigned? My SA says the car is being built and is expected to clear the factory on December 10th. But I have no VIN and EDD of 12/18-12-31. Is my SA just talking out of his ass or is a VIN assigned after the car clears the factory?
It would appear that indeed VINs are now assigned after the car is built which makes sense as there are so many more buyers than back in 2015 and 2018 when I bought cars. Back then the VIN was assigned prior to the car being built. The issue now is that until a car is built there are too many moving parts to commit to a VIN. I think

I have mixed feelings on getting the MSLR now, I’m enjoying the MY. I could save money and get a MYP or M3P instead, as these often show up in inventory at the EOQ.
Maybe my pessimistic behavior, but I kind of look at demo cars like buying a rental. You almost know for sure that people ran those cars into the ground because they do not care about them and are joying riding.

VIN is probably internally assigned pre-build process. But it does not hit customer facing portals until it completed, since there could be a manufacturing defect and the car needs to be scrapped.

No one really knows what "clear the factory" dates mean but Tesla. But you could infer that date would be its completion date and you would see a VIN on or shortly after (within a day) of that date. If that date means it has completed build process.
Thank you! This helps. I’m hoping to see a VIN at some point this weekend.

Is there a way to know if the one you get is a refused one

I haven’t responded to my survey, if there’s anything you want me to include, DM me.

@Ormond Love my MYP. Not one issue requiring SC attention, aside from Homelink activation.

Maybe my pessimistic behavior, but I kind of look at demo cars like buying a rental. You almost know for sure that people ran those cars into the ground because they do not care about them and are joying riding.
Yeah, but what can you do to a Tesla in 500mi that you haven't done to yours? Do you think yours is run into the ground?

I’m not sure that there is, short of asking your SA.
There is one other way. If you are at end of quarter, never been assigned a VIN before (and you know because you check your account 3x a day), AND suddenly get a note to schedule delivery with the car being ready for delivery at the center the next day (meaning it is there already) and get a VIN at the same time, the car is one that was refused.

This is not NECESSARILY a bad thing as this happened to me at the end of September. There are lots of reasons a car could be refused: financing fell through, can't accept delivery at that time (out of town or something else), duplicate order that someone forgot to cancel or decided they couldn't flip for profit, AND (of course) car that was inspected and rejected because it had some or LOTS of QC issues.

I was going to hold out and wait until my October car was delivered but knowing I could go and get the car now v. MAYBE getting a car in October drove me crazy so I took a chance. I got lucky and my "rejected" car was pretty clean and has been trouble free since I picked it up (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!).

I spent 2+ hours inspecting it, logged a few cosmetic issues, booked a service appt., and then had my PPF/ceramic installer tell me my cosmetic issues weren't bad at all (and honestly, I couldn't see most of them the day after and the 2 little ones that were there my PPF guy took care of). I ended up cancelling my cosmetic service issue appt (actually, Tesla cancelled it before I could/ which made me paranoid about Big Brother Elon).

Good luck

Have you seen the Tesla documentary Megafactory?
Tesla essentially designed it from the ground up. Yes the building is an old GM/Toyota plant but inside it was completely redone, Gilbert Passin I believe was the man in charge of getting the factory up and running.
Car factory buildings are just boxes built over people and equipment. If the quality of the cars isn't up to snuff then the leadership and employees need to look in the mirror! More training and machine adjustments are needed.

Time for a quick update

I was of the mind to hand back the car and get rematched (an option but back of the Q)....Then I drove the car...I forgot about the issues the second my kids were laughing (farts) and screaming (acceleration) inside this vehicle...having never driven a Tesla before, it blew my mind. I can not properly explain to friends how this drives, so I just take them for a ride...it is like magic. smooth-quite-FAST-handling-UI with huge clear screen---all in a beautiful looking package. The Yoke feels natural to me...my hands rest nicely on it with elbows comfortably on the door rest and center area...The blinker controls will take some time to get used to...I keep having to look down to hit correct direction... I keep hitting the turn signal will I am switching radio stations (yes-radio)...Thankfully the seats are wider than the previous model I sat in years ago.

Kodos to Elon on the product he and Tesla have created....now get to work on quality control and communication!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!
Congrats @Milamber :) I am 30 min away from a touchless driveway delivery. A new concept for me, but I'll roll w it. Wish me luck!
I am so happy to hear of the gen more positive reviews on TMC in the past few days. I'm hoping my own experience will be as good w only minor things missing or panels slightly misalligned.
I'm still trying to get PPF & tint on calendar. Boy, those shops are making a killing in NorCal! Any referrals, anyone?

Congrats @Milamber :) I am 30 min away from a touchless driveway delivery. A new concept for me, but I'll roll w it. Wish me luck!
I am so happy to hear of the gen more positive reviews on TMC in the past few days. I'm hoping my own experience will be as good w only minor things missing or panels slightly misalligned.
I'm still trying to get PPF & tint on calendar. Boy, those shops are making a killing in NorCal! Any referrals, anyone?
Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it!

@neadams99 All the best! May she be a beaut! Please report back, after playing!

I am scheduled to take delivery in NC Dec 9th. Original scheduled delivery was last week but I found serious paint flaw and they sent it to contractor body shop to fix. I have not taken delivery. All along the way I was concerned about what tire would be delivered. (I originally placed the order from Maryland but then moved to NC.) I was told by the local NC dealership that they were receiving cars with the all season radial version. (He supposedly went out to the lot to verify!) I also read somewhere that dealerships have been known to allow swap to an all season if a summer tire had arrived with the car. But I was relying on what a local dealership staff had said. I went to the dealership again today, before the scheduled date of Thursday (tomorrow), to check existing delivered MS LR tires. They are all the summer version of the pirelli tires. I called corporate pirelli and customer service stated that the warranty says don’t drive it in temperatures below 45 degrees. So to me its not simply a preference, it is a warranty issue. North Carolina has many days in the fall and winter seasons that fall below 45. It’s supposed to be 29 degrees tonight, a low of 34 tomorrow, and so on. The initial reaction from the dealership staff is that they come with summer tires and tough luck. Corporate tesla says its in the hands of the dealership, yet it was corporate who loaded the car with summer tires even though it was hevaded for NORTH Carolina.
Can anyone advise or suggest what my approach should be? How hard can I push the dealership?

The order is for a MS long range refresh ‘21.