Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny, I think the opposite. Let’s agree (at least for this supposition) Tesla is 10 years tech ahead of everyone else. That tells me they’ll catch up in maybe 3 years. How long from iPhone or iPad to android and other competitors? (Or possibly reverse that order). Other manufacturers See what Tesla paid zillions for in R&D and can short. Jt their progress, or buy or license patents, etc.
imthink the Mach e has a lot of issues over dandy Monroe, but also did some really good stuff. Not sure they are 10 years behind.
my buddy’s polestar 2? I’d say only a few years behind, and possibly ahead in a few minor areas.
if not Tesla, i’d likely get a polestar 2
i think the other guys will catch up fast, maybe i. What they sell, if not how they build.
just my .02

Contrarian view...

Let's say every auto mfg in the world could deliver a car equivalent to any Tesla current or future model.

Let's say they could start the first delivery today.

Let's say there are no shortages of batteries or other parts.

How long would it take them to scale up assy to meet demand? Where are the factories with robots, all ready to go?

How long would people wait for such a vehicle? One year? Two?

What will happen to Tesla lead times when GF Berlin and TX open next year? Do you think they might shorten a bit, to say less than a year?

And lastly, the SuC network. What good is a Tesla equivalent car with out a robust charging network?

I've been adding my EDD updates to the LR status thread. Long story short:
- August order, RN1154, Fremont area local
- Have had a December EDD for a few months now
- The EDD had updated 4 times so far this month
- Currently sitting on a 9-day window: Dec 19-28 -- expect another EDD update tomorrow, for obvious reasons
- Willing to bet I get pushed to Feb like most others of my RN vintage

[Sotto voce] Given all the QC nightmares and the looming prospect of new taillights (yes, I know...), I wouldn't mind getting the car later. Even debated placing another order, to put myself on a more realistic timeframe for a Fremont factory retool, etc.

Quite quiet around these parts, for a lazy Sunday! No VINs or impending deliveries? EoY push?
Ok, Update on this slow Sunday - after refusing delivery yesterday, a new VIN magically and surprisingly got assigned in the late afternoon. Tesla called earlier today to schedule a new delivery appointment.

The complication is that I now have a DCU cashiers check with old VIN and will be taking delivery of a different car. Tesla says they will take the check and don’t care about the different VIN. Will need to sort this out and update the thread for others future reference.

Fingers crossed for a good car and smooth delivery this time around!!

Contrarian view...

Let's say every auto mfg in the world could deliver a car equivalent to any Tesla current or future model.

Let's say they could start the first delivery today.

Let's say there are no shortages of batteries or other parts.

How long would it take them to scale up assy to meet demand? Where are the factories with robots, all ready to go?

How long would people wait for such a vehicle? One year? Two?

What will happen to Tesla lead times when GF Berlin and TX open next year? Do you think they might shorten a bit, to say less than a year?

And lastly, the SuC network. What good is a Tesla equivalent car with out a robust charging network?
I hear ya. There is the more open source ev network.
f or years I’ve wondered why gas stations didn’t install chargers with government subsidies, and a profit for each charge.
i also envision chargers built into street lights, etc. in urban areas that use tech to know who to bill.
regardless, Tesla was the first to stamp cars that I’m aware of. Let’s say it took them two years to decide it is feasible and desirable, then figure out how, buy the stuff, etc..
didn’t they just give the blueprint to ford, go and the others?
batteries, Tesla proved they can work, etc., I.e their r&d was first on a lot, and benefits others.
if I’m go or ford, would I start from scratch, or emulate, and maybe even try to improve on what they’ve done?
I think once it became known tungsten in a vacuum was good for a light bulb, the next guy came up with a bulb much quicker than Edison.
i may be wrong, but it makes sense to me some can imitate very quickly

Reactions: impastu
Ok, Update on this slow Sunday - after refusing delivery yesterday, a new VIN magically and surprisingly got assigned in the late afternoon. Tesla called earlier today to schedule a new delivery appointment.

The complication is that I now have a DCU cashiers check with old VIN and will be taking delivery of a different car. Tesla says they will take the check and don’t care about the different VIN. Will need to sort this out and update the thread for others future reference.

Fingers crossed for a good car and smooth delivery this time around!!
I MAY be in a similar boat. At the same time, I could see dcu say, “wait, that last vin had more features, so a more valuable car” - probably won’t happen, but if I was the lender I’d scrutinize. Check for plaid..oh switched to lr?

again, I don’t see it happening.

I hear ya. There is the more open source ev network.
f or years I’ve wondered why gas stations didn’t install chargers with government subsidies, and a profit for each charge.
i also envision chargers built into street lights, etc. in urban areas that use tech to know who to bill.
regardless, Tesla was the first to stamp cars that I’m aware of. Let’s say it took them two years to decide it is feasible and desirable, then figure out how, buy the stuff, etc..
didn’t they just give the blueprint to ford, go and the others?
batteries, Tesla proved they can work, etc., I.e their r&d was first on a lot, and benefits others.
if I’m go or ford, would I start from scratch, or emulate, and maybe even try to improve on what they’ve done?
I think once it became known tungsten in a vacuum was good for a light bulb, the next guy came up with a bulb much quicker than Edison.
i may be wrong, but it makes sense to me some can imitate very quickly
That’s very logical reasoning and is along the the line of what I thought for years with the legacy manufacturers. But what it does not account for and is an incredibly important factor is corporate culture. Both Tesla’s and the new EV companies and the legacy manufacturers. I think this will be a critical factor, more than meets the eye.

Since there’s so much chatter in here tonight, I thought it appropriate to elaborate on the difference between Tesla and everyone else. But luckily, I don’t have to, Autoweek has it covered.

Mind you this is the premier legacy manufacturer. One that should have no issue with building car mechanicals outside of the the EV components. Yet that isn’t the case.

But let’s give MB the benefit of the doubt and figure they won’t all have weird rattles and creaks. Let’s focus on software and charging instead. Or maybe we should skip that too….

It’s one review. MB will be around for a long time to come. But there is trouble on the horizon.

I suspect the situation is similar to the old anecdote of when the Aztecs saw the Spanish conquistadors on the horizon. Or rather, the conquistadors were on the horizon and the Aztecs could not see them. The ships were so far removed from their reality that they could not even see them, even as they stared at them at a distance.

GM, MB, Ford, etc are all staring at the horizon and do not see anything different than they always did. Sure, they need to adapt, and they’re working on it. But with the government behind them and their massive liability, I mean manufacturing base, they’re fine right?

Since there’s so much chatter in here tonight, I thought it appropriate to elaborate on the difference between Tesla and everyone else. But luckily, I don’t have to, Autoweek has it covered.

Mind you this is the premier legacy manufacturer. One that should have no issue with building car mechanicals outside of the the EV components. Yet that isn’t the case.

But let’s give MB the benefit of the doubt and figure they won’t all have weird rattles and creaks. Let’s focus on software and charging instead. Or maybe we should skip that too….

It’s one review. MB will be around for a long time to come. But there is trouble on the horizon.

I suspect the situation is similar to the old anecdote of when the Aztecs saw the Spanish conquistadors on the horizon. Or rather, the conquistadors were on the horizon and the Aztecs could not see them. The ships were so far removed from their reality that they could not even see them, even as they stared at them at a distance.

GM, MB, Ford, etc are all staring at the horizon and do not see anything different than they always did. Sure, they need to adapt, and they’re working on it. But with the government behind them and their massive liability, I mean manufacturing base, they’re fine right?

Exactly. Reminded me of the Roadrunner versus rattlesnake analogy in this video. The rattlesnake has been killing birds for years. So when it sees a roadrunner, it thinks it's just another bird. It thinks it will easily destroy it. But this time it's different. This is a different bird.

This is why Tesla, Ford and maybe VW will unfortunately likely be the only legacy car makers left in ten year's time. Maybe GM too, and I hope so, but I dunno. If the Chinese do in fact arrive and do really well (which I have my doubts of in America tbh), then Tesla will be the only American manufacturer able to beat the Chinese as well.

Exactly. Reminded me of the Roadrunner versus rattlesnake analogy in this video. The rattlesnake has been killing birds for years. So when it sees a roadrunner, it thinks it's just another bird. It thinks it will easily destroy it. But this time it's different. This is a different bird.

This is why Tesla, Ford and maybe VW will unfortunately likely be the only legacy car makers left in ten year's time. Maybe GM too, and I hope so, but I dunno.
Ha, yes this is correct. I like his story about not knowing there was a trailer on the truck. It’s actually pretty easy to distract people enough that they do not see major important things. Sandy is no fool and is trained to see things. Yet he missed it. It’s amazing and absolutely fascinating.
If this type of thing is interesting to anyone here, I recommend the book Thinking, Fast and Slow.

Accepted delivery no to long ago as yesterday they moved me up in line! TLDR: What everyone said was true about the wait being worth it!

And I did not have any issues on delivery, they didn't rush me and let me inspect the car. There was only a couple of small things that was noticed but will be addressed. the taillights had small cracks in it... service saw it and started the ticket to replace both of them. other than that.... THIIS CAR IS CRAZY

I am just pleb LR owner, but I have tasted the power and I have not even fully floored it yet.... I will wait until I settle in to the tesla a bit (first time owner)

An to all those complaining about the yoke..... I have yet to see a problem and I have been ICEing all my life (33yrs - dark phases pre license)!!! I like the buttons, the yoke, and for the horn... I won't be trippin on that either (BUT I am understanding of emergency situations so will give a less than half-pass for most and pray the SW update hit true... or staying safe until you have the muscle memory for it)

I wan to ask though have anyone had luck in getting referral miles for our past orders(pre sept)? how would I go about starting that fight?

Waited since January... would have went crazy if not for everyone here... now I am off to the sunset for a bit but as most will chime In...

Here is a quick pic of the car, it was getting dark and most my pics were just videos.... but it was a well built one. SO I am hoping that quailty will roll out with the NF and beyond ones.

But I have learned....

Attachments

• 20211219_160403_02.jpg
    20211219_160403_02.jpg
    682.8 KB · Views: 92

Wow, what a story... sounds like MB roadside service rivals Tesla. ;)

"That’s another story.
I had pulled into the row of Level 3 chargers in the basement of the Hilton Hotel in San Gabriel and tried to get some juice, because they were coming to get the car in the morning and all I had was a 50% charge and I wanted to be polite and return the car with a full tank, so to speak. The chargers belonged to yet another network I had never heard of and it refused to accept my credit card. So I unplugged the charger and tried to get back in my car but all the doors had locked and I, like an idiot, had left the keys in the cupholder. I learned several things as a result of this:

1. No one answers the Mercedes Roadside Assistance number.
  2. That old (800) 555-1212 info number that might have told me what the Mercedes roadside assistance number was is “no longer in service.”
  3. 411 doesn’t work on my iPhone with ATT.
  4. It is cold, dark, and strangely loud in the basement of the Hilton."

Ha, yes this is correct. I like his story about not knowing there was a trailer on the truck. It’s actually pretty easy to distract people enough that they do not see major important things. Sandy is no fool and is trained to see things. Yet he missed it. It’s amazing and absolutely fascinating.
If this type of thing is interesting to anyone here, I recommend the book Thinking, Fast and Slow.
Exactly. This is going to be an interesting time for the industry. Some names I used to think would be here forever will likely go, replaced by ones I've never heard of. It'll be better for everyone though in the end I think... This is a true test for legacy, and I'm curious who will come out.😃

The EQS is but ass ugly!