Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The old taillights are from 2012, with almost zero changes.
No. The original headlights used replaceable HID bulbs. (Which some argue are still better than the current headlights.) I think they switched to sealed LED headlights sometime in 2016 or 2017.

it again makes no sense to have two different taillights designs on the same car for different regions.
Well they have pretty much always done that. Some regions, US, have two backup lights, other regions have one backup light and a rear fog light. Some regions have red turn signals, others have yellow. They could design a universal set of taillights but they haven't done that so far.

Questions for the brain trust on the much-hoped-for matrix headlights and tail refresh…..

Do we have any authoritative confirmation that the Taiwan pics showing the headlights, tail refresh and CCS port mean that MS production for all markets will have this? Could any or all of those changes be a regional release? ETA for US?
Not to be contrary, but the short answer is "no", we don't. I've searched for quite awhile and the most I can come up with is second hand rumor from people like SawyerMerrit saying it's coming. Would love to be proven wrong though.

No. The original headlights used replaceable HID bulbs. I think they switched to sealed LED headlights sometime in 2016 or 2017.

Well they have pretty much always done that. Some regions, US, have two backup lights, other regions have one backup light and a rear fog light. Some regions have red turn signals, others have yellow.
That's why I said "almost zero changes".😉 They also changed the reverse lights in like 2014 or 2015.

Absolutely, small differences have been around for sure. But these are two very different taillight designs, and a different, body colored rear fascia bar as well. The change looks to be so much so that it makes the car look like a completely different model. So I find it unlikely that Tesla wouldn't switch over to these new lights in the US as well. The ease of manufacturing that these lights will likely bring is the biggest indicator to me, rumors aside. Hopefully we get more guidance on this at the earnings call!

No. The original headlights used replaceable HID bulbs. (Which some argue are still better than the current headlights.) I think they switched to sealed LED headlights sometime in 2016 or 2017.
I was referring to the taillights in my post. I think the headlights will come too now that they are on a path to being legal.🙂

I think it will be a global, so US included, change. Obviously the CCS port won't be here, but it is coming here from what I've heard. Plus, it's important to consider that these new lights are likely more efficient, in their energy usage and their ease of manufacturing. The old taillights are from 2012, with almost zero changes. So it makes no sense for Tesla to only use those cost savings for a certain region. Additionally Tesla is the master of manufacturing efficiency, and it again makes no sense to have two different taillight designs on the same car for different regions.
As far as timeline goes, I would expect March. @B-lon said that he heard the Fremont lines have finished retooling as of yesterday.🙂

If Fremont lines have finished retooling yesterday, assuming there is no inventory in your area, does that means that new orders from this week on will have the updated headlights and taillights?

If Fremont lines have finished retooling yesterday, assuming there is no inventory in your area, does that means that new orders from this week on will have the updated headlights and taillights?
With the wait times, likely so. However, @B-lon said that Tesla will be working through remaining inventory first, hence the March estimate from him and others.

Reactions: impastu
Questions for the brain trust on the much-hoped-for matrix headlights and tail refresh…..

Do we have any authoritative confirmation that the Taiwan pics showing the headlights, tail refresh and CCS port mean that MS production for all markets will have this? Could any or all of those changes be a regional release? ETA for US?

No authoritative confirmation. Just thoughts, rumors, feelings and biggest is peoples' wanting it to be true.

TMC family/Brain trust,
help please.
I got the same offers within a few dollars from the major third parties out there (givemethevin, varoom, carvana, etc.) and Tesla was actually a few dollars more. a trade in is pretty darn easy.
I posted on AutoTrader without much love. and then a fella agreed to my price, just beat me up for like 5 seconds, and agreed. I think he's fraudulent but not sure.
Only one other guy was actually legit for sure - lives nearby, i looked him up, he asked me a zillion questions, and never called back. but I believe he's real.
this other guy though -- agreed, said he'd send a bank check (bank of america) and he'll have the car picked up after the check clears.
i didn't give him my cell, but did give my office number, and my email. he emailed me to confirm my address, mostly right, with some extra digits on the zip. made me think he's not in the US.
his email gave me pause, was weird, and gmail.
so, ignored him.
today he claimes he mailed the check, a problem with UPS so he sent post office. he gave me a tracking number, it shows from Mississippi. He told me he's in Orlando and the check is coming from Florida (so yeah, more hackles).
i previously looked up his name and if true i found him in orlando, but who knows?
this is for $11k more than the trade in. so, for $11k i can play a little.
I got tesla to send me the updated MVPA with my trade in, and sent that to DCU today, and also let DCU knwo i may not trade in.
this guy did NOT ask about my title - i do NOT have title in hand.
So here's what i'm thinking - if i get the check, bring to bank of america, and they cash it, then i'm golden. done.
if i deposit into my BOA account, i think i run the real risk of them pulling it out of my account after a few days. i think that's a common scam.
I can't imagine any world in which a real buyer would pay $49k and the only question was, "can we drop from $49,999 to $49k?
no question about the condition, i mentioned a prior accident, etc. No question about title in hand. nothing.
he mentioned he arranged for transportation, i asked, he said he'd have a guy come to drive it, i mentioned or reminded that i had an extra set of wheels included, and it would be cramped in the car with all 4 wheels inside, he thanked me and said he'd send a trailer.
he had an accident, i don't know if Haitian, West Indies, etc. - not trying to sound racist, etc. but trying to get some perspective here. his prior email, which had no hits, but had some words in it, well, i checked, and i ended up on a facebook page that seemed to be kenyan. he might be exporting to kenya - i don't know, i don't care, if legit, he can do as he pleases.
i have the ibby jeebies (however you spell them) but for $11k, yeah, i'd like it. but i don't want to get burned. Aside from "trust my instincts" is there ANY way i can get burned if i have the bank cash the check?
i appreciate any thoughts or suggestions, i haven't sold a car myself in 20 years, and there was a lot less scamming back then.

TMC family/Brain trust,
help please.
I got the same offers within a few dollars from the major third parties out there (givemethevin, varoom, carvana, etc.) and Tesla was actually a few dollars more. a trade in is pretty darn easy.
I posted on AutoTrader without much love. and then a fella agreed to my price, just beat me up for like 5 seconds, and agreed. I think he's fraudulent but not sure.
Only one other guy was actually legit for sure - lives nearby, i looked him up, he asked me a zillion questions, and never called back. but I believe he's real.
this other guy though -- agreed, said he'd send a bank check (bank of america) and he'll have the car picked up after the check clears.
i didn't give him my cell, but did give my office number, and my email. he emailed me to confirm my address, mostly right, with some extra digits on the zip. made me think he's not in the US.
so, ignored him.
today he claimes he mailed the check, a problem with UPS so he sent post office. he gave me a tracking number, it shows from Mississippi. He told me he's in Orlando and the check is coming from Florida (so yeah, more hackles).
i previously looked up his name and if true i found him in orlando, but who knows?
I got tesla to send me the updated MVPA with my trade in, and sent that to DCU today, and also let DCU knwo i may not trade in.
So here's what i'm thinking - if i get the check, bring to bank of america, and they cash it, then i'm golden. done.
if i deposit into my BOA account, i think i run the real risk of them pulling it out of my account after a few days. i think that's a common scam.
I can't imagine any world in which a real buyer would pay $49k and the only question was, "can we drop from $49,999 to $49k?
no question about the condition, i mentioned a prior accident, etc. No question about title in hand. nothing.
he mentioned he arranged for transportation, i asked, he said he'd have a guy come to drive it, i mentioned or reminded that i had an extra set of wheels included, and it would be cramped in the car with all 4 wheels inside, he thanked me and said he'd send a trailer.
he had an accident, i don't know if Haitian, West Indies, etc. - not trying to sound racist, etc. but trying to get some perspective here. his prior email, which had no hits, but had some words in it, well, i checked, and i ended up on a facebook page that seemed to be kenyan. he might be exporting to kenya - i don't know, i don't care, if legit, he can do as he pleases.
i have the ibby jeebies (however you spell them) but for $11k, yeah, i'd like it. but i don't want to get burned. Aside from "trust my instincts" is there ANY way i can get burned if i have the bank cash the check?
i appreciate any thoughts or suggestions, i haven't sold a car myself in 20 years, and there was a lot less scamming back then.
99% certain it's a scam. As you indicate, lots of red flags. You're going to be charged a returned check fee by BOA when the check bounces in a few days. My guess is the check won't be drawn on a BOA account and it will take several days for them to figure out it's fraudulent. Good Luck.

TMC family/Brain trust,
help please.
so, ignored him.

I skimmed most of this book..but the bolded parts indicate 100% scam, if that is your quesiton. Not 99%. Not 99.9%. 100%

That said, if you have time and even a bit of patience? Put up a NICE Ebay ad for the car. I did last summer. Sold in a week for my full asking price for my 2017 90D. With all of the protections ebay offers. All I paid then was like, $59 for the ad and 5 or 7 pics. No commission (That may have since changed). Got me THOUSANDS more than tesla trade in offer, carvana, vroom, etc. Funds got fedexed to me in a day. Buyer was from texas. Truck came and picked up the car a few days later AFTER the cashiers check cleared.

That said, some dont want any hassle at all, hence carmax/vroom, etc route.

I skimmed most of this book..but the bolded parts indicate 100% scam, if that is your quesiton. Not 99%. Not 99.9%. 100%

That said, if you have time and even a bit of patience? Put up a NICE Ebay ad for the car. I did last summer. Sold in a week for my full asking price for my 2017 90D. With all of the protections ebay offers. All I paid then was like, $59 for the ad and 5 or 7 pics. No commission (That may have since changed). Got me THOUSANDS more than tesla trade in offer, carvana, vroom, etc. Funds got fedexed to me in a day. Buyer was from texas. Truck came and picked up the car a few days later AFTER the cashiers check cleared.

That said, some dont want any hassle at all, hence carmax/vroom, etc route.
many thanks. so, you think a slight chance it's a scam? :)
I don't think i have the time for the ebay ad, and i'm thinking i'd have the same issues. i do regret not doing ebay the same time i did autotrader last week. who knows, maybe i'll put it up later today anyway, i don't care that much about $59.
another possibility MIGHT BE the buyer is going to ship it out of the country, he's legit, and doesn't care about much - it looks good, will have a high value, done and done.
i did know a guy around here who used to ship cars to kenya - flood damaged, salvage, etc. - but yeah, this thing is mostly a creampuff. not sure it would go for much more in another country.
thanks again! :)

99% certain it's a scam. As you indicate, lots of red flags. You're going to be charged a returned check fee by BOA when the check bounces in a few days. My guess is the check won't be drawn on a BOA account and it will take several days for them to figure out it's fraudulent. Good Luck.
thanks, at the end of the day, i guess i'll bring it to BOA and see what they say. i might also send it back to the guy and be done. i don't want to walk from $11k, but also dont' want to get burned.

TMC family/Brain trust,
help please.
so, ignored him.

Scam.

I traded the Rover into Tesla for three reasons:
1) Time to valuable to fart around with selling and scammers
2) Sales tax benefit from trading
3) Simplicity of just throwing the keys at them and taking off

For me Tesla was pretty close on price to the third parties - at least close enough for my taste.

TMC family/Brain trust,
help please.
so, ignored him.
Chad @ Givemethevin is the best, hands down. I have done over 15 deals with him and I'm in Canada. A+ Don't mess around with cash buyers/ private in this market. Everyone will pay top dollar, use trusted sources!

Don't mess around with cash buyers/ private in this market
I would say do not mess with private buyers out of state that have to mail you checks, arrange transportation, etc. Handle it all in-person and get validated bank documents to prove the fact.

I sold to a private buyer back in June - absolutely painless experience with him, his CU and took all of a week. Extra $10,000 - $20,000 versus what Vroom, CarMax, etc. were offering.