Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re not missing anything except the cool visualizations. FSD is pretty inconsistent and not much fun (I’m on 10.9).
FWIW my loaner model X (2017) has FSD (but of course not beta). So far it has been completely useless. I only have a wee Tesla fob, and since it's a loaner i can't use the app (can connect bluetooth for the phone, but that's about it). i suppose i can use it to autopark (i'm in the burbs, curbs are kind of not a thing) and I tried it yesterday on some roads but no NoA - i guess i wasn't on pure highways, but yes freeways, or maybe reverse the two. either way, if I had paid $8k or $10k or now $12k I would have been p'd.
I will say the beta videos look intriguing, and really good when it works well, and really bad when it doesn't, but I'm really glad I held off on FSD for my refresh, and if they get it widely released out of beta, i'll seriously consider trying the $200 a month (or whatever they raise it to) subscription.
But not if i have to audition for it, not ready for prime time, etc.
okay, end of rant.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
FWIW my loaner model X (2017) has FSD (but of course not beta). So far it has been completely useless. I only have a wee Tesla fob, and since it's a loaner i can't use the app (can connect bluetooth for the phone, but that's about it). i suppose i can use it to autopark (i'm in the burbs, curbs are kind of not a thing) and I tried it yesterday on some roads but no NoA - i guess i wasn't on pure highways, but yes freeways, or maybe reverse the two. either way, if I had paid $8k or $10k or now $12k I would have been p'd.
I will say the beta videos look intriguing, and really good when it works well, and really bad when it doesn't, but I'm really glad I held off on FSD for my refresh, and if they get it widely released out of beta, i'll seriously consider trying the $200 a month (or whatever they raise it to) subscription.
okay, end of rant.
I am surprised even the auto park is working. They used to disable functionality of autopilot and speed limit the loaners. It was essentially Valet Mode except that navigation worked.

TMC does not allow referrals, and specific to DCU, because of previous rampant exploitation is particularly sensitive to that one. Please do not ask for, or offer to do DCU referrals here.

Since people continue to do this after we closed all the threads that turned into DCU referral threads, we have been applying temp bans to enforce this rule. I have not applied one in this case but am warning this thread (as I have warned others) that this is what will happen in the future.
Appreciate not enforcing a ban, and apologies for missing this rule.
However, where is this stated? Not trying to be difficult, I would have never posted / requested had I known.

I am new and did read all of the sticky threads under the Model S category as well as many in other areas. I looked for rules under the new member introductions, this is where I have seen them on other forums but did not see any there. I also reviewed the terms of service / rules here:

Nowhere did I see this rule, (maybe it falls under the solicitation rules in the terms of service?)...
If there are more rules somewhere else, please let me know, happy to review them.

Appreciate the patience with a newb.

Nice video of yoke flash!
Question to all concerning the yoke flash.. Is there a dimmer that controls not only the main screen but also the dash screen in front of the yoke? Almost seems like it goes into full brightness for a second, then reverts to "original setting".. Or, is there only one setting control for everything, yoke and both screens?
Still waiting for my car to be delivered to experience problems and troubleshoot..

okay, end of rant.

I really wish they'd bring back EAP. At $5,000 for all of the useful features it's a better deal. It also made way more sense back in the day when it was $5,000 to go from no AP to EAP. Now with Basic AP standard $5,000 makes a little less sense.

I'm going to miss the EAP features that I currently have on my new refresh S, but there's absolutely no way I was going to pay $8,000 or now $12,000 for them.

Nope, 6 months is possible
I thought u can only put 30 day hold
Nope, up to 6 months is possible, however, that is likely to change soon as Corporate is reporteably evaluating holds. It may have already changed for the lower trims.

I was warned that at any time, I could be offered a car, and I would have accept or cancel my order.

Just found I could get extended warranty on my old car, so,ight be keeping it for a while.

Nope, 6 months is possible
Nope, up to 6 months is possible, however, that is likely to change soon as Corporate is reporteably evaluating holds. It may have already changed for the lower trims.

I was warned that at any time, I could be offered a car, and I would have accept or cancel my order.

Just found I could get extended warranty on my old car, so,ight be keeping it for a while.
You got one of those Robo calls offering you a warranty? I get those calls every day! Unfortunately I wish I was in the position of them offering me my car that I’ve been waiting for for 11 months!

You got one of those Robo calls offering you a warranty? I get those calls every day! Unfortunately I wish I was in the position of them offering me my car that I’ve been waiting for for 11 months!
Nope. One good thing about Tesla in general is they don't call you. One bad thing is they never call you back.

After several attempts, via the app, they did respond and say I was eligible for the Tesla extended warranty.

This may be not representative, since all they really wanted is for me to cancel my appt for the hood latch recall.

However, to purchase, I have to go to the SvC, something I dread.

okay, end of rant.
In 2017, it was different. For $5k you got Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) which has every feature FSD has now except stop signs/traffic lights and NoA, FSD didn't have those options yet, but at the time it was a $3k "preorder" that got you nothing (for $8k combined cost). Later on, they pushed a lot of the EAP features into FSD and increased its price to $8k (the previous combined cost), but gave you lane keeping and TACC for free (as basic autopilot). I'm going to guess that car probably has enhanced autopilot.

Nah, I have my car and love it. I have said many times about the headlights are fine. If a better one comes along and it will retrofit, I may do it. But it does not keep me up and I would definitely not delay delivery over it (unless it was guaranteed to be a very short 1 or 2 weeks).
It BETTER not keep you up? If it did, I'd be worried. After all, that's your wife's job?

I am surprised even the auto park is working. They used to disable functionality of autopilot and speed limit the loaners. It was essentially Valet Mode except that navigation worked.
i haven't tried the autopark - maybe it's crippled after all? i do get FSD as a menu choice, along with various settings (version 10.XX user interface, feels slow and clunky) - interesting if crippled.

While I am ordinarily thrilled when Tesla moves up my delivery date, I'm not thrilled on taking delivery of my nearly $100k car on Valentine's Day!!!! Do they realize the expectations that's creating for my wife?!?!?

Assuming you are serious... Delay a day or three...

Go all out on Vee Day. Whatever she wants Do not mention or talk about the car, even if prodded.

This should ensure domestic bliss on the delivery day, and sympathy should you have delivery issues.

(32 years of experience)

So some thoughts on what to do with my Model 3 since it's a slow news day:

My Car - 2018 Model 3 RWD (very early VIN), 19" wheels, 47k miles, PPF fully wrapped, FSD

Tesla Trade-In Offer - $42,300
Carvana Offer - $34,875
GivemetheVIN Offer - $38,000
Carmax - Wants to see it before they'll offer.

Seems like the best thing is to just do the trade in rather than try to sell the car myself (VA doesn't have a tax advantage from trading a car in, unfortunately). Looking at the various boards, you see people asking upwards of $48-50k for similar vehicles, but I don't suspect they're really going for more than $45 at best.

What would y'all do?