Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No pressure lol! Again, things are always subject to change, but as of now they look to be on schedule.
Yep!!

It really wouldn't be an issue if there wasn't a 7-9 month wait time in between order and delivery. If you had your car for months before a change rolled out that is just part of the reality of buying a car. It becomes bitter though when you wait, and then miss the update by a small margin (I still maintain this will be about 6 days after I take delivery). It is the total lack of any control or decision making that is frustrating. No asked for a long wait. It was just out of our control. Certainly no one here asked to miss the lighting refresh if indeed it really is coming.

If this happened at McDonalds on a ten dollar order they would give me free fries. There are similar things Tesla could do here that would alleviate angst too. If they are backward compatible advertise that. If you took delivery this year and had been waiting for 6+ months split the difference and offer an upgrade.

Yep!!

It really wouldn't be an issue if there wasn't a 7-9 month wait time in between order and delivery. If you had your car for months before a change rolled out that is just part of the reality of buying a car. It becomes bitter though when you wait, and then miss the update by a small margin (I still maintain this will be about 6 days after I take delivery). It is the total lack of any control or decision making that is frustrating. No asked for a long wait. It was just out of our control. Certainly no one here asked to miss the lighting refresh if indeed it really is coming.

If this happened at McDonalds on a ten dollar order they would give me free fries. There are similar things Tesla could do here that would alleviate angst too. If they are backward compatible advertise that. If you took delivery this year and had been waiting for 6+ months split the difference and offer an upgrade.

Tesla needs a stable minded COO to run service/manufacturing/customer service. too much anti consumer behavior by Tesla lately.

Are you saying you declined delivery or did you just ask them to put you on hold?
I was on order for 8 months when out of nowhere I got an email that my vehicle was matched and to make payment within 7 days. I was not expecting it when they gave me literally no notice to pay and pick the vehicle up within a week. I told them I was not ready at the time to make the payment and accept the vehicle in that short of time and they said they would bump me and give it to the next person that was matched for it and they would let me know when the next match was available.

After that the dates kept changing from December --> March --> January --> then last week (Feb 4th) I received a message that my vehicle was available to make my payment and schedule delivery. I asked about the timeframe and to make sure it was real and they said the car was in and I could take this one or cancel the reservation since I bumped the earlier one. I scheduled the delivery and will pick it up tomorrow.

Last edited:
Yep!!

This is normal with Tesla... I picked up my Model S 90D and 3 months later the 100D was cheaper than my 90D. There is never a right time to buy a Tesla.

Yep!!

Depends what you're ordering. For Plaid buyers, they get first priority, clearly, as the margins are far greater on that car than the regular S. Wait times are short on those cars. These headlights/tail lights are a really, really quick change for Tesla, I'd expect. Perhaps a different harness and of course, different software, but based on the latest pictures there's no body changes, so expect a quick shift to the new hardware, with little/no interruption.

Then they shouldn't have ****ing made em!

What pisses me off about Tesla is they make two products and sell it for the same price and don't tell anyone.

For example: the Model 3/Y randomly getting a Ryzen chip/new 12v battery. Some got this, most didn't, all paid the same price. What the ****?

It is the Tesla way. Rolling changes instead of model year revisions. You will guaranteed have FOMO even if you wait for new lights. It has happened with my last two Tesla purchases. For my 2017 MX, I missed AP2.5 and MCU2. For my 2021 MYP, I missed biohazard, MCU3, 12V lithium ion, heated wipers.

I was on order for 8 months when out of nowhere I got an email that my vehicle was matched and to make payment within 7 days. I was not expecting it when they gave me literally no notice to pay and pick the vehicle up within a week. I told them I was not ready at the time to make the payment and accept the vehicle in that short of time and they said they would bump me and give it to the next person that was matched for it and they would let me know when the next match was available.

After that the dates kept changing from December --> March --> January --> then last week (Feb 4th) I received a message that my vehicle was available to make my payment and schedule delivery. I asked about the timeframe and to make sure it was real and they said the car was in and I could take this one or cancel the reservation since I bumped the earlier one. I scheduled the delivery and will pick it up tomorrow.

They may be forcing since a car was already routed to your location twice. I received a call from a random Sales person in January and decided to place my RN1147 $79k order on hold before a VIN was assigned or car routed. They placed a hold on my order relatively easily.

Then they shouldn't have ****ing made em!

What pisses me off about Tesla is they make two products and sell it for the same price and don't tell anyone.

For example: the Model 3/Y randomly getting a Ryzen chip/new 12v battery. Some got this, most didn't, all paid the same price. What the ****?
Dude. Do you want Tesla to always be innovative and changing things, or would you rather them to wait, and lethargically make changes for the new model year like every other OEM? They could always communicate better, but at the same time does it matter? The people who have the order and don't get the new thing are getting EXACTLY what they paid for, at the time of purchase. Everything else that happens in between that time and when you receive the car is gravy, and the people who get the new changes get lucky! 🙂
It's clearly the better move to not wait for new years. It's so good in fact, that Ford has just moved to this system. Clearly other OEMs wouldn’t be copying Tesla if Tesla was making bad moves:

It is the Tesla way. Rolling changes instead of model year revisions. You will guaranteed have FOMO even if you wait for new lights. It has happened with my last two Tesla purchases. For my 2017 MX, I missed AP2.5 and MCU2. For my 2021 MYP, I missed biohazard, MCU3, 12V lithium ion, heated wipers.

They may be forcing since a car was already routed to your location twice. I received a call from a random Sales person in January and decided to place my RN1147 $79k order on hold before a VIN was assigned or car routed. They placed a hold on my order relatively easily.

But that's bullshit. We aren't talking about me buying a car and getting the same thing everyone else and a month later it's a lot better.

We are talking about a company selling two different products, called the same thing, charging the same price, not even informing customers that it is happening, at the same time. That's ridiculous.

Dude. Do you want Tesla to always be innovative and changing things, or would you rather them to wait, and lethargically make changes for the new model year like every other OEM? They could always communicate better, but at the same time does it matter? The people who have the order and don't get the new thing are getting EXACTLY what they paid for, at the time of purchase. Everything else that happens in between that time and when you receive the car is gravy, and the people who get the new changes get lucky! 🙂
It's clearly the better move to not wait for new years. It's so good in fact, that Ford has just moved to this system. Clearly other OEMs wouldn’t be copying Tesla if Tesla was making bad moves:
Having worked on Cloud Based Digital Software and also with devices, I partially agree.

1) I am a big proponent of running, incremental changes to “hardware” and software

2) But - when actual product delivery timelines are very long and ambiguous/ shifting, I see the clear customer disappointment many voice here!

Tesla has clearly innovated in many ways, but they seem to miss the basics on customer communication and putting all customers first.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
But that's bullshit. We aren't talking about me buying a car and getting the same thing everyone else and a month later it's a lot better.

We are talking about a company selling two different products, called the same thing, charging the same price, not even informing customers that it is happening, at the same time. That's ridiculous.
So you're saying they should increase/change the price for every new feature so people can tell lol?😉
It's important to appreciate these things that Tesla does, rather than scorn them and wish they were like everyone else IMO. I really don’t like arguing online, but come on dude.😀

Reactions: DermMD
So you're saying they should increase/change the price for every new feature so people can tell lol?😉
It's important to appreciate these things that Tesla does, rather than scorn them and wish they were like everyone else IMO. I really don’t like arguing online, but come on dude.😀

Here's what they should do:

Determine how many more current vehicles they can make with the current *sugar*.

Take orders to fill up that allotment, make an announcement that some new *sugar* is coming and switch over.

That way at least people are aware and informed of what they are buying. And if no one takes the last couple hundred cars, discount them a small amount to make customers feel like they are getting a good deal and something for it vs just screwing them over.

We aren't talking about a small plastic piece change here. We are talking about a fundamental user experience difference that customers will notice every single day and a reliability update.

You can defend them all ya want but this is a company that literally has had pics up on their website for over a year of a feature that's not even in the ****ing car they are selling, nor has it ever been. Lol come on.

Here's what they should do:

Determine how many more current vehicles they can make with the current *sugar*.

Take orders to fill up that allotment, make an announcement that some new *sugar* is coming and switch over.

That way at least people are aware and informed of what they are buying. And if no one takes the last couple hundred cars, discount them a small amount to make customers feel like they are getting a good deal and something for it vs just screwing them over.

We aren't talking about a small plastic piece change here. We are talking about a fundamental user experience difference that customers will notice every single day and a reliability update.

You can defend them all ya want but this is a company that literally has had pics up on their website for over a year of a feature that's not even in the ****ing car they are selling, not has it ever been. Lol come on.
Ok, that sounds more reasonable. (The announcing part and discounting). But let me throw a turd into the pool here: supply shortages. How the Hell are Tesla supposed to be able to predict this with any accuracy when availability of parts is so dicey? The only way to get around this is to make a surplus of cars with the old taillights, in order to cover any potential shortages. That way, they don't end up with a situation, where they have NO taillights due to the supply chain timing changing.