Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little deceitful but a certain segment of the mainstream Press has taken to calling most Tesla OTA software updates which change functionality of a previously available feature a RECALL. I know the government instigated this trend but...
I noticed the exact same thing and was complaining to my wife this morning about it. Tesla does an OTA software update and the media headlines a giant RECALL. I know that there are those jealous of Tesla and certainly there's media looking for attention but come on.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Ok lots to unpack here. So here I go...

I went to the Tesla store and casually asked where my car is, since I'll be taking delivery on Saturday. To my surprise they said they don't know, as the location is now a service center only. But, they did tell me there's a staging area half a mile down the road at the back of a church parking lot (wait, what?) So I thought, might as well check it out. So I went. About 50-100 brand new Teslas there. Mostly 3 and Ys. There are also Plaids, X Plaids, and S LR. There I found my car, and since there's no security, I started doing my pre-inspection while constantly walking around comparing the various Ss to mine's fit and finish. I figure if anyone asks, I can show them my Tesla app showing the exact same VIN.

There are a couple of red plaids, both w/ lower VINs (like NF463- 465 range). All the LRs are NF469xxx (5 of them). A couple with VERY high NF4699xx. First impressions: the S is a lot lower than I thought. The fit and finish is mostly good and similar, with gaps on some but not others and vice versa. I can't tell how good the paint is since it looks dirty (w/ a few bird dropping on top). One thing that did stand out to me is that the rubber window seal looks uneven at the top of EVERY S window - is that to be expected?

1644539538635.png

And now, the info all of you been waiting for. Headlights. Unfortunately no new headlights, not even the very very high NF4699xx VINs.

Last but not least, it seems the Plaid X also don't have the new headlights (at least not yet either) - I thought I read somewhere that theirs' are better than the S? Here, judge for yourself. This is the same type of headlights on all 4 of the Plaid X there.

1644539868265.png

In any case, think I will just go ahead and take delivery on Saturday, baring some issues w/ its driving.

I noticed the exact same thing and was complaining to my wife this morning about it. Tesla does an OTA software update and the media headlines a giant RECALL. I know that there are those jealous of Tesla and certainly there's media looking for attention but come on.
Oh yeah it's all clicks with those people. You should see the stuff on Twitter now! LMAO! Anytime anyone gets an update they're calling it a recall! 🤣

I went to the Tesla store and casually asked where my car is, since I'll be taking delivery on Saturday. To my surprise they said they don't know, as the location is now a service center only. But, they did tell me there's a staging area half a mile down the road at the back of a church parking lot (wait, what?) So I thought, might as well check it out. So I went. About 50-100 brand new Teslas there. Mostly 3 and Ys. There are also Plaids, X Plaids, and S LR. There I found my car, and since there's no security, I started doing my pre-inspection while constantly walking around comparing the various Ss to mine's fit and finish. I figure if anyone asks, I can show them my Tesla app showing the exact same VIN.

There are a couple of red plaids, both w/ lower VINs (like NF463- 465 range). All the LRs are NF469xxx (5 of them). A couple with VERY high NF4699xx. First impressions: the S is a lot lower than I thought. The fit and finish is mostly good and similar, with gaps on some but not others and vice versa. I can't tell how good the paint is since it looks dirty (w/ a few bird dropping on top). One thing that did stand out to me is that the rubber window seal looks uneven at the top of EVERY S window - is that to be expected?

View attachment 767527

And now, the info all of you been waiting for. Headlights. Unfortunately no new headlights, not even the very very high NF4699xx VINs.

Last but not least, it seems the Plaid X also don't have the new headlights (at least not yet either) - I thought I read somewhere that theirs' are better than the S? Here, judge for yourself. This is the same type of headlights on all 4 of the Plaid X there.

View attachment 767528

In any case, think I will just go ahead and take delivery on Saturday, baring some issues w/ its driving.
Thank you for the info here. Good to know that 469 VINs are still the prior lights.

View attachment 767527

View attachment 767528

Thanks, I’m taking delivery of my NF46998X on Saturday. I didnt expect new lights but now I know for sure what to expect!

No way I’d delay for them though, as the Canadian luxury tax is again on the very near horizon…

Reactions: EndlessPlaid

View attachment 767527

View attachment 767528

Yeah the window seals are messed up on all of them. Bad design. I go and check every couple of weeks at my local delivery center and every single one had issues. I tell the people every time I'm there and they DGAF lol

Noticed used prices have been going down. There are a few used model s’s I’m keeping an eye on in case Tesla tries to deliver a subpar built model. One of them, 2020 performance, has dropped from 99.9 to 89.9 in the span of 5 months.

Getting harder and harder not to just go with the used performance.

I would take a new regular S over any prior-gen Performance model.

Nope. The image is reversed. 99% sure of that. That's likely why it looks a little off. Notice the charge port door on the right side.
Not only that @cwanja, but China, and Taiwan are both left hand drive countries. So unless this is for Japan, the UK, or like Australia (none of which are big markets for Tesla), this is clearly a reversed image.