Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ha ha, I was the skeptical one in that thread and was surprised I hadn’t heard about this before. My refresh 2.0 Plaid is still at the detailer but I’ll take a flashlight with me when I visit the shop in a few days to see if there’s any evidence of a screen or LEDs behind that glossy panel.
We going to get some RGB easter egg on the screen or something? o_O

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Question for the PPFer's lurking around here. Just dropped the car off to get wrapped ~2 hours ago... the detailer called and said the paint is pretty jacked up under the lights and that they basically need approval to move forward (so I assume its very not great). Going in later to check it out in their shop but has anyone had luck sending it back to Tesla to be fixed/repainted?

Side note... dropped it off last week to have some overspray buffed off the passenger door but the detailer just said that someone has definitely repainted the car recently. Not sure what to take from that?

Going in later to check it out in their shop but has anyone had luck sending it back to Tesla to be fixed/repainted?
Depends on what "jacked up" means. If it is swirls and just needs a paint correction - no, Tesla is not going to really step up and fix that.

If it has a bunch of gashes, rock chips, scratches, etc. - you might have a chance to try and get Tesla to fix it. Just prepare for a long road.

Depends on what "jacked up" means. If it is swirls and just needs a paint correction - no, Tesla is not going to really step up and fix that.

If it has a bunch of gashes, rock chips, scratches, etc. - you might have a chance to try and get Tesla to fix it. Just prepare for a long road.
As I understand from the call, it sounds like just swirls and micro-scratches from someone going a little too hard with the buffer.

I'm doing an XPEL matte wrap so I'm not sure you would even tell under the film... but I guess I'll judge it when I see it for myself.

I would think that they would deep clean or clay bar the surface on any car before a wrap? I have no experience on this. If a mat or even a clear wrap were applied, would it not hide surface imperfections?
Yeah they told me they would be clay baring and everything prior to wrapping, I would think it would cover imperfections but A) I'm not an expert by ANY means and B) it was bad enough that they called me about it.

In a teardown of the new Ryzen MCU last year, an unpopulated header named PASS_DISPLAY was found. It was guessed this might be for the upcoming Roadster, as that had a small display facing the passenger. Though, it might be for this?
Right. Like on the new Roadster. I’m going to assume this latest “information” regarding the Model S isn’t true though. I just don’t really see the point of that absolutely tiny display anyway for the passenger. What would be the purpose? Not like it’s a touchscreen or anything…

What would be the purpose? Not like it’s a touchscreen or anything…
No clue. The best guesses I saw were stats like you see in the track mode display such as G-force numbers or other random stats. Not terribly useful, but still could be cool.

...and absolutely a new source of FOMO (goodbye hinges, hello passenger display!)

YESSSSSSSSSSS! More FOMO!!!
kylo-kylo-ren.gif

Attachments

• kylo-kylo-ren.gif
    kylo-kylo-ren.gif
    4.7 MB · Views: 146
I would think that they would deep clean or clay bar the surface on any car before a wrap? I have no experience on this. If a mat or even a clear wrap were applied, would it not hide surface imperfections?
Matte yes, clear no.

At a minimum any car new or used will need a 1 step paint correction which is polish, or if defects are really bad then a 2 step paint correction is needed with compound and polish.

White is really good at hidding imperfections, any other colors will show them easily.

Hi everyone,

Went to take delivery of VIN NF474200 red plaid yesterday at Princeton, NJ. Car was perfect except for a smallish pebble rock chip on the hood - through the clearcoat (very noticeable in the sun). I did not accept and of course they will repaint the hood at a Tesla authorized shop next door. They told me it will be ready on Monday. I am worried about them matching the quality/look of factory red paint. I understand red is "special". It is a extra $2500!

What does everyone think? Thank you!

I can confirm red is special...in my mind at least...

Attachments

• IMG_20210519_101846328_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210519_101846328_HDR.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 66

Yeah they told me they would be clay baring and everything prior to wrapping, I would think it would cover imperfections but A) I'm not an expert by ANY means and B) it was bad enough that they called me about it.

Matte yes, clear no.

At a minimum any car new or used will need a 1 step paint correction which is polish, or if defects are really bad then a 2 step paint correction is needed with compound and polish.

White is really good at hidding imperfections, any other colors will show them easily.
I had a small imperfection on my 2020 M3P in MSM (either a slight damage or paint issue from before I bought it, or a rock chip in the week or two of driving before I could put PPF on it). It was on the plastic bumper very near the opening to the frunk. There was a small bit of black showing (either bare bumper or primer) and a raised "bump" of paint.

It was barely noticeable without PPF, but after the PPF process I could spot it from over 10ft away. The PPF caused it to look sorta like a whitehead - the raised bump caused a circular pocket of air to form under the PPF which never went away.

Tint and ceramic coat the car. Invest the rest of the money in something else. Why would you throw away that kind of money “protecting” the paint on this car?

Unless you are going for a ppf matte look, I don’t see the advantage of wrapping the whole thing in it 🥲
Yes, it's expensive and not bulletproof, but I like the pristine look that the PPF provides. My last 2 vehicles have been PPFed and I'm not going back (especially on expensive cars). No rock chips, no bug etchings, no swirl marks (I hate swirl marks) and easy cleanup. Shiny. Shiny. Shiny.