Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow - I only ordered a month ago and I just got my VIN!

Ordered 5/9 - EDD 6/5-6/9. RN1171 VIN NF479

The initial EDD was June-August, then Oct-Jan, then June-July. I was expecting a delay but it looks like it could be this week! I've been dragging my heels over getting the charger installed as the estimate was so high ($6,575!) but I suppose I'd better get on it asap. o_O

The initial EDD was June-August, then Oct-Jan, then June-July. I was expecting a delay but it looks like it could be this week! I've been dragging my heels over getting the charger installed as the estimate was so high ($6,575!) but I suppose I'd better get on it asap. o_O
Congratulations on the VIN. I’m assuming it’s a PLAID. If you’re actually installing a charger that price may be reasonable. If however, you’re installing a home wall connector like most of us have done that price is way out for most parts of the country. I’d shop that around.

Congratulations on the VIN. I’m assuming it’s a PLAID. If you’re actually installing a charger that price may be reasonable. If however, you’re installing a home wall connector like most of us have done that price is way out for most parts of the country. I’d shop that around.
Yes - it's a Plaid. It's the standard Wall Charger. The subpanel in the garage needs upgrading and 50ft of thicker cable from the main house panel to the garage. This was the breakdown - seems high to me:-

Permit Fee**estimated** - $200
Panel reconfiguration to create space for new circuit - $395
Supply/install 100 amp 120/240 volt 1 phase sub-panel - $3,295
Power panel/service grounding and bonding - $595
Install 60amp hard wired Electric VehicleWall Charger - $695
Distance cost from the power panel to the EV charger ($20 per foot) - $1,000

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
S
Yes - it's a Plaid. It's the standard Wall Charger. The subpanel in the garage needs upgrading and 50ft of thicker cable from the main house panel to the garage. This was the breakdown - seems high to me:-

Sounds reasonable for the work quoted. I’d still shop this around to see if in fact you need all that. That said, the correct terminology is wall connector. When you charge at home you use the built in charger for the car. An actual charger like the supercharger bypasses this internal charger.

Well that’s awesome. And being a 479 that’s literally just being built. My 479 was built May 30th so that’s a freshly built one. Crazy you only had wait a month.., but that’s pretty much Tesla for you.

Sure
Why exactly? This is supposedly reconfiguration of the panel in the main house. There’s already a circuit breaker connecting to the garage. That simply needs to be changed to a 125 amp one if not already.
This is where the game is. Necessary?
Should not be a line item separate from the above. In fact done correctly, the sub panel in the garage should be grounded through the panel in the main house. Hence the new large cable should have an appropriate ground wire. If code calls for another ground in the garage, I’d assume that’s already there with the current panel.
Cheapest I have seen because they’re killing you elsewhere.
Whatever.

What’s the build?

Is it normal to have such high pricing in your area? My brother is a master electrician here in South Texas and says the price is insane. He stated the labor cost is extremely high.

Is it normal to have such high pricing in your area? My brother is a master electrician here in South Texas and says the price is insane. He stated the labor cost is extremely high.
Getting anything done here (remodels etc) is pretty crazy but this does seem, let's say 'opportunistic'. I'll try to get some more quotes, although this particular electrician is the only one of the 3 I reached out to a month ago to get back to me so far.

try coasting at about 33Mph. Most noticeable for me then.
It isn’t a big bother or dealbreaker for me. not a vibration shaking up the entire car or anything, just a vibration at the foot sitting on the throttle for me.

Yep, - pretty sure my new Plaid is doing the same thing at the exact same speed. I feel it through my foot. I just was out for a very short drive but thought I noticed it at one point on a road I travel down frequently by my house at that speed. Hmm.

Some other things to note about my new refresh Plaid over the 2021 version:

1.) The new headlights are leagues better than the old ones. No more dappled light/shadowing/disco-ball effect. Just much more uniform, and a wider beam, which negates the need for the turning lights the old model had. There are some weird notches in the light at the very top, though, that I'm not sure what they're about - but others have noted them so it's "normal" it appears, but reasons tend to be not known (maybe for reference points for AutoPilot/FSD learning at night?). It's also pretty cool seeing T E S L A light up during Holiday Mode, like on the new 3/Y Performance models with the Matrix LEDs. Anyway, these are night/day better than the previous generation lights. Hopefully we see more adaptive lights in the future with software updates. It's also awesome to have the updated rear end design in terms of appliqué and tail lights. They look modern, we finally have proper, amber turn signals, and overall I adore the updated look.

2.) Fit and finish is a lot better in general (though never perfect). For example, - here's the trim rear door alignment from July-built 2021. For reference, I never saw any that were better until much later in 2021/early 2022. And please ignore the missing bolster (it fell off because... obviously).

Again, this is my 2021. My 2022 is perfect in this regard on both sides.

Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 9.48.25 PM.png

3.) Active Road Noise Reduction is still broken just like it was in my 2021 model, and I recommend everyone turn it off. The racket it makes is pretty obnoxious, and it's really easy to hear traveling at e.g. 25mph when you turn it off and on and off and on to compare. I've NO IDEA how Tesla has managed to make such a crap road noise reduction system, but here we are.

4.) The noted driveline/driveshaft (who knows) vibration might be present still, but I need more time with the car for a full determination since I've barely driven it since picking it up on Friday.

5.) My center console is working correctly in terms of lighting. I know these had been wired/switched incorrectly on some cars for a good number of months, but I'm pleased to report mine is working correctly - even better than my 2021 which is interesting. There's no doubt the switches being activated are doing so in a more advanced fashion, if you compare my videos:

2021 Model S Plaid:

2022 Model S Plaid:

6.) The overall Tesla customer-service experience is still lacking hugely. For a car this expensive you'd expect better, but, nope.

More thoughts to come when I have more than 26 miles on the clock.

Is he tho?
I don’t disagree with the idea that the Model S is old.
The refresh we got for ‘21/22 is after like 10 years. And even then, it’s the kind of refresh that traditional OEMs give to their cars after ~3 model years.
The exterior barely has any changes at all - even people here in this thread are remarking on how they can’t easily tell the new head/tail lights.
The S is still riding on the same overall design and platform - including the half shaft issue that Tesla can’t seem to fix.
A ground-up redesign after 10+ years is warranted, and probably coming with the 4860s.
A timeless design does not warrant a complete redo... subtle evolutionary changes can serve the Tesla brand well.

Think of the iconic Porsche 911 design evolution over the last 58 years. ;)

Design/visual aesthetics =/= platform.

The car has maintained a heritage look but with chassis improvements throughout the generations.

So has the new S. Study the changes made for this refresh (motors, chassis castings, body, brakes, suspension, batteries, interior, hardware, software, etc.).

So has the new S. Study the changes made for this refresh (motors, chassis castings, body, brakes, suspension, batteries, interior, hardware, software, etc.).
Of course the new refresh S has changes - nobody is contesting that.

But it's a *refresh* rather than a *redesign*, which typically comes with a new platform/chassis. Reusing the existing platform means that while they can still apply suspension tweaks and such, they're still constrained by the original hardware design.

If it were a new generation of S, accompanied with all-new platform/chassis components, then we might see the half-shaft problem fix.