Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, pickup pushed back to tomorrow at the earliest. Due to some amateur reconnaissance (and a bit of luck) I was able to get the skinny on what's goin on with the vehicle and why delivery has been pushed back.

I spoke to the Service Manager at the dealership yesterday (who I've been dealing with on my old 2016 MS) to ask him about inspecting it and providing a safety certificate so I can sell it. I mentioned that if he checked my account, he'd see that I'm picking a new MS up tomorrow. He then says, "That one? It won't be ready for tomorrow - it's still at the body shop!"

So rather than freak out, I calmly asked him WTF was going on. He said the protocol is for service to check every new delivery and the front bumper had a scratch on it, most likely from when it came off the transport truck. It would have been hard to see unless you got on all fours and looked underneath the car. They caught it when they got it on a hoist. The repair was around $900 and he didn't recall seeing any dents. So it would most likely be the same bumper with a new coat of paint. He said the rest of the car looked good - better than most of the ones he's seen lol.

The next obvious question was why hasn't anyone told me about this and why am I still scheduled to pick the car up on Friday? He didn't have an answer for me on that but would reach out to the last SA I was dealing with to talk to him and to let him know.

About an hour later, the SA calls me and apologizes for the broken telephone tag between delivery and service. I told him I wasn't pleased about them not telling me about the damaged bumper (even though I'm not surprised they didn't). We are now rescheduled for tomorrow although my guess is it won't be until Monday or Tuesday based on what the Service Manager told me.

As annoying as this is and assuming the Service Manager is right in that this model is actually one of the better ones he's seen, I'm still planning on taking it whenever the hell it's ready unless of course some other major issues pop up. At this point, I just want it to be over and done with it. Not sure I can reject and wait another month or two on pins and needles to see if I get something any better before Sept 1...
OK, I picked up my MS this morning. Overall pretty happy with how it went. Highlights are as follows:

1. I was there for almost 2.5 hours doing the paperwork, inspecting the car, getting my phone, keys and fobs setup etc.. I think they were wondering when the hell I was going to leave lol
  2. I used the checklist provided on another thread - whoever came up with this, thank you!
  3. My SA was amazing. Spent well over an hour going through the car with me, answering all of my questions etc. - very lucky not having to just rely on the videos on my ap.
  4. I brought my own knee pads to check the bottom of the car lol. Including the front bumper that was scratched and repaired. I looked like a bit of an idiot sliding along the sides of the car in the showroom looking for issues. But so be it.
  5. My SA helped me set up a service appointment on my ap for the issues found. It's scheduled to go in on Wednesday morning. Hopefully it shouldn't take that long to fix the issues I found. And on the ones I found that were marginal, he agreed with me and helped me take the pictures to attach to the appointment.
So I found the following:
  1. No privacy cover for the back trunk - the SA said they were out of stock; he then went to the back and found one!
  2. No floor mats - they WERE out of stock - but I already have my 3D MaxPider mats (ordered from Amazon last week) that I installed when I get home so I wasn't too worried about it. I will drop by and pick them up at some point.
  3. Small misalignments on the passenger side of the car - frunk and headlight, front and rear doors and tail lights with trunk. Nothing that bad but noticeable when you spend some time looking over the car. The SA's view was that Service should be able to fix them all. He also said this was one of the better MS's he's seen in a while (same thing the Service Manager said).
I also noticed a small wrinkle in the driver seat when I got home - not sure what service can do about that but I'll mention it to them when I drop the car off on Wednesday.

Again, very impressed with the customer service exhibited by the SA today - reminds me of when I picked up my 2016 MS. If only everyone else who works there was like that, the Company would be in much better shape.

Initial thoughts on the drive:

1. I love it;
  2. Yoke will take a little getting used to but I can tell I'm going to love it too. I love the fact that my screen view is unimpeded by a wheel.
  3. The trip to the dealership from home is only 4 miles so I haven't driven it much but the pickup is crazy good. I can tell it's a lot faster than my 2016. I will take it out tomorrow morning on the highway and give it a real whirl ;)
  4. It would be nice to have the tilt screen but super happy I have the car now rather than August which would have been the earliest I probably would have gotten it had I waited. I plan on doing a lot of driving the next couple of months so it's nice to have an amazing new car to do it in when the weather is nice :)
Thanks to everyone on this forum who provided invaluable intel on this entire process. The next step is to sell my old 2016 MS - I have it posted in the For Sale forum if anyone is interested.

And for those of you who have been waiting way longer than me I apologize for "jumping the queue". I just got lucky because someone ahead of me not being able to accept delivery on the exact same configuration. But trust me, it's worth the wait. 👍

In case it helps: I got my first VIN for a white MSLR assigned at the end of May, it was a F4774## VIN in the high four hundreds with a scheduled delivery date for today(June 11). I was told over text message that they won't know if it has the tilting screen until they have their hands on the vehicle. Went in person and the SA told me that it was a 4/19 built and will definitely not have it. I released the VIN and received the next day a F4775## in the mid-low five hundreds. Went again in person and was told it was manufactured on 4/20 so again no dice on the screen. Released it again and in a day I got a new VIN F4775## in the upper five hundreds. This one was built the day that the transition took place but the SA was also able to see that the built had a motorized display :) Scheduled to pick it up on the 16th, will let everyone know if indeed this is the case.

In case it helps: I got my first VIN for a white MSLR assigned at the end of May, it was a F4774## VIN in the high four hundreds with a scheduled delivery date for today(June 11). I was told over text message that they won't know if it has the tilting screen until they have their hands on the vehicle. Went in person and the SA told me that it was a 4/19 built and will definitely not have it. I released the VIN and received the next day a F4775## in the mid-low five hundreds. Went again in person and was told it was manufactured on 4/20 so again no dice on the screen. Released it again and in a day I got a new VIN F4775## in the upper five hundreds. This one was built the day that the transition took place but the SA was also able to see that the built had a motorized display :) Scheduled to pick it up on the 16th, will let everyone know if indeed this is the case.

Make sure to give it a good look over. That car is nearly 2 months old. Can't understand why it would still be available...

Would appreciate some advice. Received vin480 a few days ago and applied for financing. EDD 6/21-25. At time I placed order, general offer on tesla's site I believe was 7500 down and 3% which I was ok with and obviously dependent on credit history (FICO in the 860s). Now, obviously things are tightening up and will continue to. They came back at 3.74% but to my surprise want over 40k down which simply isn't happening. Not for lack of money, but that will be better invested than put into a depreciating asset. Friday afternoon I applied at a local CU and have yet to follow up. In case I am unable to secure financing at terms I'm ok with, what's my responsibility for the car?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Noted on the order page this AM...

If you reserve a car, you now have to pay not just the order fee, but also the mobile connector up front.

Not sure what you will do with the MC, or even if they will ship it to you ahead of the 8 month wait...

It seems Tesla is really trying to avoid another price increase. I think it is gonna happen in the next 2 months anyway...

We are very excited to be picking up our new 2022 Model S plaid Vin # FYJSA1E60NF477........ on June 22. White with White Interior. Our 2015 Model S sold very fast. It took about 4 days. Gas prices are killing everyone! I have had more people ask me about Tesla and the cost to charge. NOT much in comparison to gas!
What did you use to sell your 2015 Model S?

What did you use to sell your 2015 Model S?
I tried FB marketplace. It worked! We have a friend who bought a Performance model Y about two years ago. He previously had a model 3. He sold his model 3 within a day for just 1K less than he bought it for on FB marketplace. He got 20 responses. But also that was back in the day when people were clamoring for model 3s. But at any rate, our friend swears by FB marketplace.