Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was ready to pull the trigger on trading in my 2018 P100D for a new S. Over the past two weeks a number of “Demos” have showed up on the website as inventory. These are all 2023 S’s. This usually means that something big enough is changing soon and they want to get rid of these demos (if these were 2022 I could see it but they are all 2023s. Is there going to be something big enough announced on March 1 by Elon to want to have new model S‘s on the showroom floor? Any thoughts?

Reactions: Dayreg
Was ready to pull the trigger on trading in my 2018 P100D for a new S. Over the past two weeks a number of “Demos” have showed up on the website as inventory. These are all 2023 S’s. This usually means that something big enough is changing soon and they want to get rid of these demos (if these were 2022 I could see it but they are all 2023s. Is there going to be something big enough announced on March 1 by Elon to want to have new model S‘s on the showroom floor? Any thoughts?
The best MS for the money is the one you already have...Even the biggest fan of the MS would have to agree to put the down payment into TSLA stock instead of a new car, at least for now.

On the cars coming soon (Refresh 4.0?) there will be minor new trim changes, new cameras, and HW4. I'd wait until the changes are fully implemented and proven, you have some time before your warranty runs out.

Reactions: Dayreg and Macbest

Its 100% like you say, hw4 for S/X is already building.

All older are legacy now.

Ouch...my car not even a toddlers age, it doesn't even vibrate yet...

But, it could be months before deliveries start, so enjoy being new while it lasts, never long with Tesla...

I look at AP hardware differently. How long did HW2/HW3 reign? Like 6-7 years? It's certainly worth waiting for HW4 based on how often they update AP hardware (not often).

Reactions: Nickos
I am also waiting for a new Model S Plaid, due to be delivered Feb 20 - Mar 27. It was announced that HW4 would be first available with cyber truck. Also, I’d imagine the front bumper will need to be redesigned at the very least on MS for the new cameras, etc.. It wasn’t that long ago that MS had gone through a refresh design already. Therefore, I feel like HW4 and the respective changes will not be reflected on MS until next year. It sure would be a nice surprise to be wrong and see HW4 when I go to pick up the car, but I’m not holding my breath for it.

Reactions: aerodyne
I am also waiting for a new Model S Plaid, due to be delivered Feb 20 - Mar 27. It was announced that HW4 would be first available with cyber truck. Also, I’d imagine the front bumper will need to be redesigned at the very least on MS for the new cameras, etc.. It wasn’t that long ago that MS had gone through a refresh design already. Therefore, I feel like HW4 and the respective changes will not be reflected on MS until next year. It sure would be a nice surprise to be wrong and see HW4 when I go to pick up the car, but I’m not holding my breath for it.
I also believe it’s not going to be coming.

Hi all...new to the community today. Just ordered a MSP today. Went with midnight silver, arachnids, yoke, and white interior. Still on the fence with the yoke because after sitting in the M3 at Tesla today, I loved the small diameter steering wheel. From what I understand however, the MS round wheel is quite a bit larger. Can anyone please confirm? There were no MS or MX cars with a round wheel to sit in and compare.

After reading recent info re: HW4, I am super hopeful that surround view could be on my car since I just placed the order today. One concern...Am I correct to assume that because there are no longer USS, it's not currently possible to know distance in the front while parking? A bit unclear on that one point.

New to Tesla...coming out of a Taycan Turbo after experiencing a catastrophic battery failure. Still working though that mess with Porsche. Hope for a much better expericene with Tesla. Appreciate any info! Thanks.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Hi all...new to the community today. Just ordered a MSP today. Went with midnight silver, arachnids, yoke, and white interior. Still on the fence with the yoke because after sitting in the M3 at Tesla today, I loved the small diameter steering wheel. From what I understand however, the MS round wheel is quite a bit larger. Can anyone please confirm? There were no MS or MX cars with a round wheel to sit in and compare.

After reading recent info re: HW4, I am super hopeful that surround view could be on my car since I just placed the order today. One concern...Am I correct to assume that because there are no longer USS, it's not currently possible to know distance in the front while parking? A bit unclear on that one point.

New to Tesla...coming out of a Taycan Turbo after experiencing a catastrophic battery failure. Still working though that mess with Porsche. Hope for a much better expericene with Tesla. Appreciate any info! Thanks.
Welcome..

I think that the round wheel is larger, and will block the Instrument cluster (IC) to an extent. The car not designed for it IMO.

AFAIK, the round wheel does not solve the complaints about the placement of the horn, turn signals, lights and lack of stalks. If you can deal with the other issues above, the yoke itself is not a big deal if you approach it with an open mind.

I would not get my hopes up for surround view or HW4 for a current order.

Tell us more about your Taycan failure. Always looking for reasons to feel better about my recent MS purchase.

I am also curious and a bit worried to see how things will work without the parking sensors. I am switching to MS from a MY that has the parking sensors. For instance, when I pull into my garage, I have summer wheels/tires sitting against wall on the right side. Fender camera could see the wheels next to the car but only towards the back. The parking sensor on the right side of my front bumper is mostly my guide as I pull in and out. When Tesla had disabled the radar and relied on camera only, things had started working good after couple software updates. However, in this case, there really isn’t a camera view to utilize, hence my worry. I live in a snowy environment , where road stuff do block the cameras, but parking sensors work like a champ. I could see doing that with the so called HWr4 and its expected 360 camera system, eventually.

Welcome..

I think that the round wheel is larger, and will block the Instrument cluster (IC) to an extent. The car not designed for it IMO.

AFAIK, the round wheel does not solve the complaints about the placement of the horn, turn signals, lights and lack of stalks. If you can deal with the other issues above, the yoke itself is not a big deal if you approach it with an open mind.

I would not get my hopes up for surround view or HW4 for a current order.

Tell us more about your Taycan failure. Always looking for reasons to feel better about my recent MS purchase.
Appreciate the reply. And sorry for more long winded response....

So for now I am sticking with the yoke and hoping for the best. I'll likely get a matte carbon version from RPM to do away with what feels like cheap rubber on the stock yoke.

As for the Taycan...my car's range and charging times started to decline after a 200 mile trip in late December. Car was almost 2 years old with around 17k miles. Over a 6 week period range went from ~265 miles down to around 200, then to 180, and finally to around 160ish. On a 350kw charger even with under 10% SoC it wouldn't charge above 90kw (rated up to 270kw). Had the car back at dealer a few times trying to figure it all out. They couldn't. While waiting on direction from Germany, the car died completely last Monday. "Electrical System Error". Wouldn't go in into D or R, then a few minutes later completely bricked. Nothing. Found out Thursday that the repair is a few months since Porsche doesn't have system in place for battery replacement. Requested Porsche Cars North America (PNCA) terminate my lease and make monetary amends. Awaiting a final decision from them. So far, they seem very cooperative and apologetic. Hoping for a quick and fair resolution this week. Have legal counsel on standby in case they don't since my Florida Lemon Law window closes on 3/15. I sure hope it doesn't come to that.

A real shame since the car is amazing. While nowhere as quick as the MSP, the handling and build quality are outstanding. Nonstop compliments, shockingly fun to drive for a 5000 lb car, and beautiful inside and out. I will miss her, but thanks to COVID, replacing it would cost 50% more on the lease. Not spending almost 4k a month for a 185k MSRP. The MSP is nearly half that number.

The only other option I strongly considered is the eTron GT RS. It's basically the Taycan Turbo all over again. Same exact battery as the Porsche and that concerns me. Lesser handling is unappealing too. And the same shitty range. It's a great looking car for sure, but I think I am ready for a change. Still a little on the fence TBH.

MSP offers way more range, waaaaay more EV experience, and some really cool tech. A rear sway bar should solve my biggest concern which is excessive body roll and a twitchy handling. At least it should based on my research. Open to suggestions. Thanks.

So for now I am sticking with the yoke and hoping for the best.
And plan for the worst, which will probably be delivery. Visit the Store at least once, make sure they know you must inspect the car inside, underside, and out for an hour. Switch stores if they won't let you. Find the checklists on this forum, rehearse, bring strong shop light.
MSP offers way more range,
Actually, real world tests at 70 mph do not show that much difference esp with MSP and 21" wheels, but with the superior Tesla SuC, effectively shorter trips. EA chargers are Endless Anxiety.

Open to suggestions. Thanks.
Rent a MSLR or Plaid on Turo or other app for a weekend. Well worth the money, as you will learn a lot. Could save you 700 for yoke/wheel swap.

And plan for the worst, which will probably be delivery. Visit the Store at least once, make sure they know you must inspect the car inside, underside, and out for an hour. Switch stores if they won't let you. Find the checklists on this forum, rehearse, bring strong shop light.

Actually, real world tests at 70 mph do not show that much difference esp with MSP and 21" wheels, but with the superior Tesla SuC, effectively shorter trips. EA chargers are Endless Anxiety.

Rent a MSLR or Plaid on Turo or other app for a weekend. Well worth the money, as you will learn a lot. Could save you 700 for yoke/wheel swap.
Hi and thanks! This is a learning process for sure. The only true boutique manufacturer I have experienced is McLaren. They were great. Not perfect and plenty of early issues, but everything was resolved and then some. It's a bit concerning having to inspect a new vehicle to that level. Will search the forum. Appreciate the advice on the rental suggestion. Will likely do that sooner than later.

Reactions: aerodyne

@krutch FWIW... I tried the yoke and while it looks fast and great, like Formula 1 etc. I found it not very practical when making (tight) turns, park etc. Instinctively, I let the yoke slide through my hands while making 90 degree turns only to end up loosing it, and then get hit by the other side of it. I guess they don't do a lot of three-point turns in Formula 1.

AFA the Taycan Turbo... my brother in the Netherlands had the EXACT same experience you had. After less than a year he returned it and Porsche made him (somewhat) whole.

• Informative
Reactions: Dayreg and Nickos