Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will likely do the same. As much as I want the speed of the Plaid, there are too many concerns I have with the braking and handling...especially coming from a Taycan Turbo that was a blast to drive. Unfortunately the car died and I am still dealing with Porsche to release me from my lease obligation. What a pain in the ass....

I have a 992 GT3, so with that as the benchmark, my opinion is the Plaid handling is just fine for a big sedan, grip levels are very high and it's stable at speeds up to 130. At 150+ it starts to get a little light (two drag strip runs in my friends 2022, so not a world of experience) and I wouldn't want to do 200 in one... but it's a moot point as where can you do that safely anyway? Steering feel is ok, kinda numb but 99% of new cars are. Braking is an issue if doing repeated stops, but for one or two hard stops it'll bite down and with the stock rubber does okay. Obviously brake feel isn't there nor is ability to do repeated hard stops like in a P-car, so for mountain runs I'd look to upgrade the brakes as, given that 1020hp, you have to use the brakes a lot. Regular driving I just one pedal with regen so brakes are a non issue given they'll stop me in case of emergency (captain obvious here but summer tires essential as all season/winter increase stopping distance dramatically)

Long story is, unless you're tracking your Plaid or driving it like a total moron, you won't find the handling wanting from a grip or body control standpoint. But feel and braking and definitely better in any Porsche.

My car already arrived at the store, and I am scheduled to pick it up on Saturday. When I saw last night that they had lowered prices, I thought that I wouldn’t be able to benefit from it. But this morning, here was the email, showing my price adjusted. Sure is a good surprise for Monday morning.
Question: I keep seeing messages (I think) suggest that at delivery, you are not allowed to inspect the car inside and out? I hope that I am wrong about this? When I picked up my MS '16 in WPB that was not an issue then....
They just wont let you drive it.

I have a 992 GT3, so with that as the benchmark, my opinion is the Plaid handling is just fine for a big sedan, grip levels are very high and it's stable at speeds up to 130. At 150+ it starts to get a little light (two drag strip runs in my friends 2022, so not a world of experience) and I wouldn't want to do 200 in one... but it's a moot point as where can you do that safely anyway? Steering feel is ok, kinda numb but 99% of new cars are. Braking is an issue if doing repeated stops, but for one or two hard stops it'll bite down and with the stock rubber does okay. Obviously brake feel isn't there nor is ability to do repeated hard stops like in a P-car, so for mountain runs I'd look to upgrade the brakes as, given that 1020hp, you have to use the brakes a lot. Regular driving I just one pedal with regen so brakes are a non issue given they'll stop me in case of emergency (captain obvious here but summer tires essential as all season/winter increase stopping distance dramatically)

Long story is, unless you're tracking your Plaid or driving it like a total moron, you won't find the handling wanting from a grip or body control standpoint. But feel and braking and definitely better in any Porsche.
Agree with you 100%. Considered UP brake upgrade, but then again, nothing like a P-car for running through the canyons. BTW, how do you like your 992? 6MT? Recently checked out the Touring, but couldn't justify the exorbitant increase over MSRP. Understand supply/demand, but $100k over MSRP is a hard pill to swallow.

Reactions: Nickos

Agreed. 95% of my daily driving I'm not using the brakes and the handling is what I expect it to be for a heavy sedan. So much so, that while I'm planning on upgrading the rotors and pads at some point to bigger steel units, I'm having a hard time justifying doing it now given how little actual hard braking I find myself doing. That said, I'm in the DMV area where high speed runs are measured in very small distances and in VA is a ticket to a misdemeanor felony and jail time for anything 20mph or more over the speed limit. Down in FL or TX where you can apparently hit triple digit speeds easily, the brakes might require more immediate attention and certainly if track use is planned.

Reactions: Nickos
Anyone take delivery of a round steering wheel optioned Plaid yet? Trying to figure out whether Tesla has started rolling out the new steering wheels yet. Not sure how much longer I can avoid an aftermarket one if the Tesla option isn't imminent.

Agree with you 100%. Considered UP brake upgrade, but then again, nothing like a P-car for running through the canyons. BTW, how do you like your 992? 6MT? Recently checked out the Touring, but couldn't justify the exorbitant increase over MSRP. Understand supply/demand, but $100k over MSRP is a hard pill to swallow.
Adore it, my first GT3 since the 996 edition. Yes it's a stick w/wing and I got very lucky as my friend is far wealthier than me and has a plethora of P-cars so his dealer sold him his GT3 at list after we specced it together. I bought it from him for the same MSRP price inc tax as he has the RS coming soon, but even he had to throw in extra to get his allocation of that. Current dealer games and resale prices are out of control with GT cars, it's ridiculous and too many enthusiasts are being frozen or priced out.

Best of luck with everything on Thursday. I have asked several others here as well. If you also would not mind sharing details about your delivery here, it would greatly be appreciated. HW4 is a big one of course, if it happens to be possible to know that as you pick up the vehicle. Thanks in advance.
I just got a call from Tesla and they wanted to make sure I understood I wouldn't be getting the USS but would be getting the new "Telsa Vision". Mind you this is the first time I spoke with an actual person but I felt like she knew exactly what was going on with my specific car or at least had access to everything compared to the person/AI on the other end of the current text conversation from the last 2+ months.

They didn't have an ETA on when everything would be up and working 100% but she said it would be similar to the 3/Y updates which took 3-4 weeks. I'm not familiar with all of that so I couldn't fact check her.

I asked her if I would be getting the new cameras and she said yes. Also asked her if I would be getting HW4. She went into her system and said that I would indeed be getting HW4 on my Plaid. I pick up on Thursday but she confirmed it was currently on the highway in Nevada and that it could arrive tomorrow and could pick it up then. I'll keep you all posted.

Question: I keep seeing messages (I think) suggest that at delivery, you are not allowed to inspect the car inside and out? I hope that I am wrong about this? When I picked up my MS '16 in WPB that was not an issue then....
As the consumer, you have a choice.

Suggest you make an immediate trip to the Store. Meet with your SA. Let them know you MUST inspect the car before accepting.

If they don't agree, then find another store.

Repeat as required.

I just got a call from Tesla and they wanted to make sure I understood I wouldn't be getting the USS but would be getting the new "Telsa Vision". Mind you this is the first time I spoke with an actual person but I felt like she knew exactly what was going on with my specific car or at least had access to everything compared to the person/AI on the other end of the current text conversation from the last 2+ months.

They didn't have an ETA on when everything would be up and working 100% but she said it would be similar to the 3/Y updates which took 3-4 weeks. I'm not familiar with all of that so I couldn't fact check her.

I asked her if I would be getting the new cameras and she said yes. Also asked her if I would be getting HW4. She went into her system and said that I would indeed be getting HW4 on my Plaid. I pick up on Thursday but she confirmed it was currently on the highway in Nevada and that it could arrive tomorrow and could pick it up then. I'll keep you all posted.
Thank you.

Spot on. Also have a 911 with Ceramics. Braking performance is astounding. Plaid brakes are fine unless you are tracking it (and why would you).

As the consumer, you have a choice.

Suggest you make an immediate trip to the Store. Meet with your SA. Let them know you MUST inspect the car before accepting.

If they don't agree, then find another store.

Repeat as required.
Agree. I've purchased 3 Teslas in the last 18 months. Was allowed inside all of them for inspection prior to finalizing. SA even pointed out some issues that needed to be addressed and they were.

For those wishing for HW 4.0 on their delivery this week, be careful what you wish for:

That and there's no confirmation that this is HW4. The guy has an issue with his backup camera not working, which may explain a lack of AP. We won't know for a while what's really going on. And Elon said HW4 was first going to Cybertruck. And we all know that Elon never lies (knowingly or unknowingly).