Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if the difference was a mere 5k, I'd go with the discounted version. Vision is a promise and lack of USS is annoying. You didn't mention mileage. Assuming low, I'd say go with the discounted version. Should also consider wear and condition. I think people bash demos so just look at it to ensure it's in good condition
Absolutely. It has around 1000 km so just over 600 miles on it. I figure that’s not too bad overall, but I’ll be looking at everything to make there aren’t any major issues cosmetically and if they’re minor just having them fix it.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I'm not sure why when one has an order and right clicks on the car image, you don't get all the option codes. My guess is you do have HW4 and cameras if the car was built in March.
One idea is to look at inventory image codes for a car with slightly earlier build date. If it has Codes for radar and AP4, you should be good.

Pickup was yesterday (ordered 3/8 a day before ultra red announcement - they gave me the MC red price ($2500 vs $3000) as all new cars would be the new color.) Had asked for home delivery since close to the factory. Last MS (2018) was delivered that way and was an incredible experience. Alas, since so close to quarter end they said I had to pick up at dealer in Dublin CA.

Appointment was 2:30. Received numerous text messages saying your car is almost ready prior to this time I think as a sense of raising excitement. We got there at 2:15. Total madhouse. People everywhere. Buyer beware end of quarter and with the end of the $7500 tax rebate (not for S/X) and the 10,000 mile supercharger "bonus"! We filled out a DMV release for our trade (of which the dollar amount they offered was excellent in my opinion) but were then told the car isn’t finished being detailed and QC’ed. No idea how long it would be. Take a seat. What a shame. What a potentially perfect experience with an appointment and all done through the app in terms of organization and then to just to have to sit around in what must have been over a 100 people there. You can only look at the other Teslas on the showroom floor so long. I spent some time walking around seeing if i could spot the car being pulled up and heard numerous complaints from people who were picking up cars that they were not ready and to come back in an hour or the next day. There were over 12 couples waiting to "check in" to pick up their car. One person was told that their car was damaged and needed to go to the body shop. No idea how that turned out.

It was raining so we knew pickup would be more challenging especially reviewing car when ready. We ended up waiting 1.75 hours. And then paperwork was presented for signing. Interesting they didn’t want to do this until QC was done. As if we are not going to sign you up for this car if it comes back as an issue? I guess that is good since i would not want it if it did have issues.

Also interesting that there still is a little like old school dealership with signing a bunch of papers (not electronically). Given they have made so much progress with doing steps in the App you would think they would make this electronic also (like docusign). All together the signing took maybe 10 minutes.

We were then led out to our car and the rain had stopped almost like a miracle. My wife and I looked it over as careful as we could (with rain all over it). Wow what a beauty. The color is way cooler than the pictures. I have had two MC red model S's (2016 and 2018) and always loved that color. I think the chrome delete really adds to it and the 21” darker wheels add to the blacked out look.

Today I checked out the car end to end, inside and out since you have 24 hours or 100 miles which ever comes first to identify any issues. I spent well over an hour looking at every gap, paint, mounding, seat, panel, carpet etc. I couldn’t fine anything. I couldn’t believe it! So many scary stories of issues here that others had with delivery that I was worried. The car is essentially perfect. Maybe because it came from just 19 miles away and didn’t go through the long car carrier ride? Who knows. It was delivered with just 8 miles on odometer (so they couldn't have driven it to Dublin).

In answer to a few questions asked here, it came with Goodyear tires, all season. I can’t tell if HW4 is on it although the build date was 3/24 so i have to assume it is? The three cameras are in the center top of the windshield but not sure that means much. The clarity of the cameras that pop up when you turn left and right are amazingly clear. I didn't see the previous color of the roof but it definitely "lighter" than my 2018 which had a sunroof.

There are so many improvements all around since 2018 I don’t know where to start. It really feels like a different car! Totally love it. And as it has been for the last 7 years, I look forward to driving every day with the model S (and look for excuses to go to the store or on a trip!)

As an aside, I have been with Tesla insurance for a couple of years after AAA raped me with tripling my rates specific to Insuring Tesla (my driving record is clean). Rates have gone steadily down under this Tesla insurance. When I changed out the cars on the policy today, my new premium actually went down! And the trade was 4 years old! It was a Performance, however, and that must have made a difference. Let me know if you have any questions.

A few pictures below.

6008819B-756B-4022-B5A7-5871491E6FF2.jpeg
16B8FC2B-D363-43A6-9559-642E492861A5.jpeg
DC01C31E-0CBA-4614-9F76-75C841E48DB3.jpeg
675EBC8F-152D-4454-8B6E-1A61CAFBD295.jpeg

By the way something is up with this what appear to be some type of “screen” above the glovebox. Picture shown. I was told likely on accident by my sales advisor that this is planned to be used in the future. I haven't seen anything mentioned here so maybe this is something else like a trim piece.

F9666E33-1EC7-4310-801E-5A44E3BAE197.jpeg

I'll be taking it to Mums Sports in Fremont for Ceramic Pro and painting the calipers.

Last edited:
Pickup was yesterday (ordered 3/8 a day before ultra red announcement - they gave me the MC red price ($2500 vs $3000) as all new cars would be the new color.) Had asked for home delivery since close to the factory. Last MS (2018) was delivered that way and was an incredible experience. Alas, since so close to quarter end they said I had to pick up at dealer in Dublin CA.

Appointment was 2:30. Received numerous text messages saying your car is almost ready prior to this time I think as a sense of raising excitement. We got there at 2:15. Total madhouse. People everywhere. Buyer beware end of quarter and with the end of the $7500 tax rebate (not for S/X) and the 10,000 mile supercharger "bonus"! We filled out a DMV release for our trade (of which the dollar amount they offered was excellent in my opinion) but were then told the car isn’t finished being detailed and QC’ed. No idea how long it would be. Take a seat. What a shame. What a potentially perfect experience with an appointment and all done through the app in terms of organization and then to just to have to sit around in what must have been over a 100 people there. You can only look at the other Teslas on the showroom floor so long. I spent some time walking around seeing if i could spot the car being pulled up and heard numerous complaints from people who were picking up cars that they were not ready and to come back in an hour or the next day. There were over 12 couples waiting to "check in" to pick up their car. One person was told that their car was damaged and needed to go to the body shop. No idea how that turned out.

It was raining so we knew pickup would be more challenging especially reviewing car when ready. We ended up waiting 1.75 hours. And then paperwork was presented for signing. Interesting they didn’t want to do this until QC was done. As if we are not going to sign you up for this car if it comes back as an issue? I guess that is good since i would not want it if it did have issues.

Also interesting that there still is a little like old school dealership with signing a bunch of papers (not electronically). Given they have made so much progress with doing steps in the App you would think they would make this electronic also (like docusign). All together the signing took maybe 10 minutes.

We were then led out to our car and the rain had stopped almost like a miracle. My wife and I looked it over as careful as we could (with rain all over it). Wow what a beauty. The color is way cooler than the pictures. I have had two MC red model S's (2016 and 2018) and always loved that color. I think the chrome delete really adds to it and the 21” darker wheels add to the blacked out look.

Today I checked out the car end to end, inside and out since you have 24 hours or 100 miles which ever comes first to identify any issues. I spent well over an hour looking at every gap, paint, mounding, seat, panel, carpet etc. I couldn’t fine anything. I couldn’t believe it! So many scary stories of issues here that others had with delivery that I was worried. The car is essentially perfect. Maybe because it came from just 19 miles away and didn’t go through the long car carrier ride? Who knows. It was delivered with just 8 miles on odometer (so they couldn't have driven it to Dublin).

In answer to a few questions asked here, it came with Goodyear tires, all season. I can’t tell if HW4 is on it although the build date was 3/24 so i have to assume it is? The three cameras are in the center top of the windshield but not sure that means much. The clarity of the cameras that pop up when you turn left and right are amazingly clear. I didn't see the previous color of the roof but it definitely "lighter" than my 2018 which had a sunroof.

There are so many improvements all around since 2018 I don’t know where to start. It really feels like a different car! Totally love it. And as it has been for the last 7 years, I look forward to driving every day with the model S (and look for excuses to go to the store or on a trip!)

As an aside, I have been with Tesla insurance for a couple of years after AAA raped me with tripling my rates specific to Insuring Tesla (my driving record is clean). Rates have gone steadily down under this Tesla insurance. When I changed out the cars on the policy today, my new premium actually went down! And the trade was 4 years old! It was a Performance, however, and that must have made a difference. Let me know if you have any questions.

A few pictures below.

View attachment 923222View attachment 923223View attachment 923224View attachment 923225

By the way something is up with this what appear to be some type of “screen” above the glovebox. Picture shown. I was told likely on accident by my sales advisor that this is planned to be used in the future. I haven't seen anything mentioned here so maybe this is something else like a trim piece.

View attachment 923229

I'll be taking it to Mums Sports in Fremont for Ceramic Pro and painting the calipers.
Those are beautiful pictures! One comment you made regarding paperwork intrigued me. When I picked mine up on Tuesday in Long Beach the guy literally just handed me the key cards and pointed. No paperwork or signatures. I didn't have a trade or financing so maybe that's the difference. I've never picked up a car with nothing to at least sign before. It kinda bothered me all the way home until I realized all the paperwork is available as PDFs on the Tesla site. I printed off the invoice for the accountant and looked over the other stuff none of which was that interesting. I can remember the many times I've wasted time hanging around a dealership waiting to drive a new car home while the finance guy printed off all the reams of paper to sign. I like this way much more :)

Marc

I can’t tell if HW4 is on it although the build date was 3/24 so i have to assume it is? The three cameras are in the center top of the windshield but not sure that means much.
based on what others have said, the center camera to the right on hw4(looking at the car from the front) have a slight reddish hue to the lens, and the left camera does not as it is a dummy.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpeg
    IMG_0077.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0078.png
    IMG_0078.png
    276 KB · Views: 74
Picked up today. Lot of people there but I had help right away. Car was charging so I waited for ten minutes to just get a bit more mileage, though I didn't need it.

Cars in perfect condition. Drive home I found 2 rattles which I'll have them fix, but this is one awesome car. The person also showed me their internal screen which confirmed all the details I wanted - AP4.0, Pheonix radar, etc. Somehow my car was build just 2 days ago too...

The yoke is interesting. Awesome on freeway, not so awesome on internal curvy roads. Suspension is fantastic, miles better than 3/Y and outside noise is non existent until 90mph

To my surprise, the glass from the cluster goes all the way to the right of passenger. I can't tell if there is a screen behind it or not, but it looks very cool. Haven't seen this before.

Car came with continental tires. Not sure if good or bad, but took it.

Part of a reason why I like Tesla .. they care ( please don’t bash me for what they also take away with this inclusive approach) to provide updates for customers request rather than asking for pay for the new feature and get it..

The tweet that spawned this tweet should be eye opening. ‘If I leave an infant in the car’…err, does not matter what the car does. Do not leave an infant in your car unattended.

Still large inventory, over 30 cars in SoCal. One plaid for 100k!

Can't believe these are all demos. Only saw one demo at many visits to stores in the last year. Never got a test drive on MS or MX, not allowed they said.ost likely rejects and buy backs

Caveat Emptor!

I'd love to trade up, but due to price reductions my resale on my 8 months "Old" LR would only allow me to buy a M3P, maybe.

I picked up my MSP last night and really thrilled with the performance.. WOW! Coming from a M3P which I thought was fast, this is just mind-bending.

Soo.. I wrote the other day that my car and another one had a "hold for sensor".. Not sure if they resolved it or not as no one can explain that. Pretty satisfied with the overall quality, the only "exterior" issue I can find body-wise is the driver side tail light is not aligned like the right... Clearly it's a well documented problem.

The car is on 2023.2.201

Issues so far:
  • So, on the way home, I couldn't engage AP, which I remembered sometimes needs calibration until it's available. I checked and it appeared calibrated but would throw APP_w225 "Camera Alignment required". I did a camera calibration twice now, drove until it said it was calibrated and as soon as you try to engage AP, same error. I've opened a service request to get this diagnosed/resolved.
  • Driver Profile issue: It shows my "Tesla Profile", I click setup and set it all up. later it loses this setup and acts like it needs setup all over. I created a Manual profile for now. This is odd. and I've rebooted a few times
  • Games took forever to install, Steam still will not install, "Pending Download" - over night, still same.
  • Windshield glass seems poor. at Sunrise this morning, driving with the sun hitting certain angles, the windshield looked like it had wax residue. Got home and vinegar water blend didn't really help it too much.. Did take off wax/wash overspray that the delivery center must have used, but there is still some awkward haze almost like a lightly sandblasted look at certain angles in the sun. Wiped down the inside and outside a few times but it certainly is not optically clear like a new car should be.
Relatively little issues, but the camera one has me concerned.

Interesting observations coming from a M3P:
  • The Driver side mirror, well, both side mirrors are placed closer than what I feel are in other cars and my M3P. It has a disorienting feel visually. Just different and can't quite explain it any better.
  • Rear view mirror view outside, not as good but not a real issue
  • M3P is for sure more nimble feeling, MSP is a nice ride with sick performance
  • Rear seats feel a little awkward, even compared to the M3P, wife thinks I'm crazy but there is certainly a more up-right feeling... Don't care as I don't sit back there.. :p
  • The driver door is very hard to shut, I feel like I have to really slam it hard.. Wish this car had auto-close. Front passenger is similar but not nearly as bad as driver side.
  • Hope they somehow allow an option to also have driving visuals (FSD) on the big-screen. I've enjoyed seeing that..
  • Auto F/R is kinda cool
  • Turn signal buttons I'm like 98% accurate, but did hit the wrong one a few times.

Yoke rocks! It was awkward for 5 mins.. and in new situations a little, but overall, I've adapted very fast.

I picked up my MSP last night and really thrilled with the performance.. WOW! Coming from a M3P which I thought was fast, this is just mind-bending.

Soo.. I wrote the other day that my car and another one had a "hold for sensor".. Not sure if they resolved it or not as no one can explain that. Pretty satisfied with the overall quality, the only "exterior" issue I can find body-wise is the driver side tail light is not aligned like the right... Clearly it's a well documented problem.

The car is on 2023.2.201

Issues so far:
  • So, on the way home, I couldn't engage AP, which I remembered sometimes needs calibration until it's available. I checked and it appeared calibrated but would throw APP_w225 "Camera Alignment required". I did a camera calibration twice now, drove until it said it was calibrated and as soon as you try to engage AP, same error. I've opened a service request to get this diagnosed/resolved.
  • Driver Profile issue: It shows my "Tesla Profile", I click setup and set it all up. later it loses this setup and acts like it needs setup all over. I created a Manual profile for now. This is odd. and I've rebooted a few times
  • Games took forever to install, Steam still will not install, "Pending Download" - over night, still same.
  • Windshield glass seems poor. at Sunrise this morning, driving with the sun hitting certain angles, the windshield looked like it had wax residue. Got home and vinegar water blend didn't really help it too much.. Did take off wax/wash overspray that the delivery center must have used, but there is still some awkward haze almost like a lightly sandblasted look at certain angles in the sun. Wiped down the inside and outside a few times but it certainly is not optically clear like a new car should be.

• The Driver side mirror, well, both side mirrors are placed closer than what I feel are in other cars and my M3P. It has a disorienting feel visually. Just different and can't quite explain it any better.
  • Rear seats feel a little awkward, even compared to the M3P, wife thinks I'm crazy but there is certainly a more up-right feeling... Don't care as I don't sit back there.. :p
  • The driver door is very hard to shut, I feel like I have to really slam it hard.. Wish this car had auto-close. Front passenger is similar but not nearly as bad as driver side.
  • Hope they somehow allow an option to also have driving visuals (FSD) on the big-screen. I've enjoyed seeing that..
  • Auto F/R is kinda cool
  • Turn signal buttons I'm like 98% accurate, but did hit the wrong one a few times.

Yoke rocks! It was awkward for 5 mins.. and in new situations a little, but overall, I've adapted very fast.

the yoke is great

The car is on 2023.2.201

Issues so far:

• Auto F/R is kinda cool

Sounds like you got a decent build. Check door seals are fully seated, search TMC for a glass polish that will remove the haze, common problem.

You won't be looking at the back of your car much, that's for other people to glimpse, don't worry about the tail light.

I removed the headrests in the rear seats for a more laid back feeling, and better viz. Would not recommend insane mode launches with passengers back there though😁

Curious if this left side a pillar mismatch is still a thing...left side is how it should be IMO...

Attachments

• 16802832144034284254713051064831.jpg
    16802832144034284254713051064831.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 1680283286526149702671653286241.jpg
    1680283286526149702671653286241.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited: